SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Reminder: Income taxes due July 15
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reminder: Income taxes due July 15 Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Not your usual tax day. I’d forgotten until today – didn’t have it in my e-calendar. Will take some funds out of my investment account for provisions.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn. Gotta get my mom's taxes done. I did mine as soon as I had all the docs. Hers I take to an Accountant because of the investment and pension incomes.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there any way to verify the IRS has received your tax forms?

We mailed ours on April 14 and while the state refund showed up are still waiting on the federal refund. The irs.gov site shows 'Your 2019 Tax Return Has Not Been Processed' and IRS 'Get refund status' site only says 'no info available'.

Posts: 2367 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I had mine done for me back in late February, didn't think the WuFlu was going to be such a big deal at the time.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Reminder: The deadline for making contributions to your IRA for 2019 is also extended to July 15, 2020

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Paid mine March 5. Shoulda waited.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Bump!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are semi trailers of mail that IRS needs to process at the various Service Centers, once back it will take them months to get through.

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Is there any way to verify the IRS has received your tax forms?

We mailed ours on April 14 and while the state refund showed up are still waiting on the federal refund. The irs.gov site shows 'Your 2019 Tax Return Has Not Been Processed' and IRS 'Get refund status' site only says 'no info available'.
The IRS received my paper return on March 3rd at 4:19 AM (certified mail). It wasn't until June 23rd that it popped up on the IRS' radar screen Refund Status showing my return had been received and was processing. My wife is still in the paper tax return mode, but always sent in certified, so we have proof it was delivered to the IRS.
quote:
If you filed a complete and accurate tax return, your refund should be issued within 21 days of the received date. However, processing may take longer under certain circumstances.
It's been 21 days now since our return popped up on the IRS website, but I'm sure "certain circumstances" are in play. Roll Eyes

An EA buddy of mine told me a few weeks ago the IRS was still buried under several million tax returns (plus other correspondence/quarterly payments) and it will get worse after July 15th when the last-minute filers get their tax returns sent in.

What still baffles me is why Medicare/SS processed payments & correspondence during the Kung-flu while the IRS did not.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 229DAK,

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
"Have you paid your dues Jack?"

"Yessir, the check is in the mail."

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
The IRS received my paper return on March 3rd at 4:19 AM (certified mail). It wasn't until June 23rd that it popped up on the IRS' radar screen Refund Status showing my return had been received and was processing. My wife is still in the paper tax return mode, but always sent in certified, so we have proof it was delivered to the IRS.

Wow... long time.

I e-filed the Federal today and mailed the State. TurboTax charges an extra $25 to e-file the State. Fuck 'em! I'll mail it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
Wow... long time.

I e-filed the Federal today and mailed the State. TurboTax charges an extra $25 to e-file the State. Fuck 'em! I'll mail it.
It will be interesting to see how much I get in interest.

Posts: 9041 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
We owed, so our Accountant set ours to file and auto withdraw from our acct. today.

However, I see the Feds have taken theirs. The State has not hit yet.

I hope she did it correctly. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
tax preparer set up auto payment from checking and it posted / got paid this morning.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Filed my extension as usual along with a quarterly estimate payment. Another estimate due in September and then the final return for 2019 in October. Does not get any easier.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
What still baffles me is why Medicare/SS processed payments & correspondence during the Kung-flu while the IRS did not.

^^^^^^^
Do not know for sure, but I can tell you that some branches of our Government are efficient, others are not. Social security payments are seldom interrupted. When that happens all hell literally breaks loose.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Filed right at the deadline. Owed the man some, by design.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^
Do not know for sure, but I can tell you that some branches of our Government are efficient, others are not. Social security payments are seldom interrupted. When that happens all hell literally breaks loose.

May be that outgoing Soc Sec payments are more computerized than the intake of checks and paper tax returns.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I mailed mine early for me, on Monday 7/13, along with the biggest check I'm likely to write all year. I generally don't believe in giving the Govt. interest-free loans, and they always make me pay for it, so now I have a penalty and interest payment to look forward to. Nice to have the extra time this year, but it didn't lessen the last minute rush. Yes, this is on me, not the Govt., procrastination seems to be my middle name. One thing that ticks me off a little is that VA didn't extend to 7/15, but only to 5/1 for filing without penalty. Of course you can't complete your State return without information from your completed Federal return, so this is effectively thievery on their part, not just my money but my time as well.

Getting the idea that I might still be smarting from the tax filing process? You have that right! One of the main reasons I choose to not file quarterly estimates (I'm self-employed with highly variable income) is that it would be filing four times a year rather than one. It's less painful to just pay the damn fine. Similar rationale for filing on paper rather than electronically. Why should I make it any easier for them to fuck me?

Yeah, I know my twisted logic makes no sense, but it does make me feel better.

Posts: 6474 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pay, too and sometimes large. IRS penalty was only $74.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post