SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New felony: ATF now forcing federal registration of popular short rifles
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New felony: ATF now forcing federal registration of popular short rifles Login/Join 
posted
I don't know if anyone has seen this so I put it here for all to read. It might concern some members here.

https://americanmilitarynews.c...5qMifNC4ZiKmw_4Xlxjw

Posts: 385 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
Good post. Thanks.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That article was so poorly written I am not even sure what they are claiming is outlawed.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they're leaving out quite a bit.

Merely putting a brace on a pistol doesn't create an AOW, regardless of OAL. There has to be something else to trigger the AOW classification, like the addition of a vertical foregrip.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
That article was so poorly written I am not even sure what they are claiming is outlawed.

Good, I was afraid I was stupid or possibly having a stroke. I actually gave up on it at the end.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had my own concerns when I read it as some of it was (not the best written) but it may be something to check into as I bet the ATF has something new going on and it may be costly,,,,,"to some out there".

Don't shoot the messenger.

Posts: 385 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

Yep.
And, why are they saying rifles when talking about the SB?
SB is associated with "pistol", isn't it? Who put SB on a rifle?

A pistol is a pistol. Putting a SB on it doesn't make it a rifle. Putting a rifle/carbine stock on it makes it SBR.

Q

Posts: 26384 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
The goal would seem to be, to bog the system down to stop sales of all NFA items.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The end result is this - with the new measuring / length standard (not including the SB), some people's general 'firearms' (over 26 OAL with the SB) are now 'pistols' and you can't have a VFG, or it's an AOW.

Of course a VFG is a 90 degree grips, so there are plenty of <90 Degree grips / handstops / what have you.

The rest is plenty of stupid in the article, as they assume you are making a pistol out of a rifle. Which you aren't doing, you are taking a pistol or an AR receiver.

Mr Guns-n-Gear talks about the stupidity.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, If I have a Scorpion Evo 3 with SB Brace, Do I now have to register it as an AOW?

Posts: 496 | Registered: December 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rhenson1:
OK, If I have a Scorpion Evo 3 with SB Brace, Do I now have to register it as an AOW?
Only if you have a VFG (90) mounted on it.

The videos posted above outline the information very well, if you play in the Stabilizing Brace game, it's worth watching both (5 min each)

Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
As I see it, it’s not simply about registration or a $5 tax stamp.

This is about wait times.
How many year wait would be considered “infringing”?

No they won’t ban guns, but they will increasingly expand the requirements to move ownership beyond the limits of most citizens.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:

No they won’t ban guns, but they will increasingly expand the requirements to move ownership beyond the limits of most citizens.

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Yea verily.

It's high time we told these nanny-state, junior-jackboot, anti-liberty shitbags to consume excrement and expire. Oh, you put this grip on the front it's not a pistol, you put that one and it's a rifle, if it's got this bit it's an AOW, and by the way, next week we'll change the definitions because we're your betters, so be prepared to get saved Janet Reno style if we find out you have the wrong accessory on your gun this week.

If the BATFE offices were hit with an asteroid tomorrow, I'd burn through my vacation time next week in an orgy of whiskey, machine guns, and rubbing my balls on pictures of the "brave" agents that gave their lives to make mine a little more difficult.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Rhino, thanks for posting the videos

OP, why post this in the lounge when there is a dedicated subforum for rifles?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23255 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other forums have been chatting about this for several days, minus TEOTWAWKI conspiracy predictions (well, mostly).

Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Its amazing how much my attitude has changed over time. I currently own three weapons that 'might' fit into this re-classification. And ultimately, I don't care. They aren't registered now, nor will they be in the future. Homey don't play dat no mo.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Seriously, we only have 12 years left anyway.
It’s getting hot.
110 degrees in NY this weekend and it’s only July.

Pres. Select, Joe Biden

Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
It is sad news for many using a law tactical hinged brace on their AR pistols.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's a pistol with a pistol brace, the good news for everyone was that placing it to the shoulder was no longer illegal, and didn't magically turn it into a short barrel rifle.

That hasn't changed.

It doesn't matter if the brace is measured or not, if it's a pistol.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post