SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New vehicle technology: engine shuts down when stopped.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New vehicle technology: engine shuts down when stopped. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by Les007:
I have this on my 2018 F-150 and it normally doesn't bother me, with the exception of sitting, waiting to turn. When the engine restarts, the steering is w/out the assistance of power steering initially. The start/stop feature I believe only runs when in 'eco' mode; if I set the driving mode to something more performance driven it's disabled and in 'eco' mode I can disable it at anytime.

I think that changed in 2017+
My 2016 would keep auto-stop enabled in normal & sport mode, but disabled in tow mode.

IIRC, the 2017 only enabled in normal. Disabled in Sport & Tow.

2018 got additional drive modes, so I'm not sure the combinations that result in enable/disable.

My 2018 Ford Expedition enables auto stop in both eco mode and normal mode. I have not tried it or really driven it in sport mode. I always hit the stupid button on the dash everytime I start the vehicle to disable it. Hate it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Rented a car that had that feature. Absolutely hated it...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Wife's lincoln MKC has it, we both turn it off, normally I'm into new tech but this sucks in the Summer, the AC still works but at lower volume, not great in a car that you just started after being in the parking lot for a while.

The disable button shows some wear after a few years of use LOL

I read where yhere's a workaround in the F150 trucks. It can be disabled by covering the trailer wiring socket That fools they system into thinking it's towing; one of the parameters for canceling stop/start. There are a number of others.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I hate everything new, which to me is anything that wasn't on my first car, a 1971 Pontiac, and don't want any part of it.

You damn kids . . .

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
The last few rentals I've gotten have it. I've started asking for cars without it. It screws up my reaction time splits...

Like 9mmepiphany, I remember shutting off my engine during the gas crunch. The bad thing was if it shut off that meant I was out and had to push the rest of the way. One learned to know which gas stations were on level ground, on a downhill slope, and the dreaded up hill which was to be avoided like the plague...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ds1962:
Anyone have a vehicle with this new technology in stopping your vehicle and it cuts off, and when you take your foot off brake, it starts up? Opinions and experience with this. What are your thought, pros, cons?
My new Toyota Highlander has this ANNOYING feature. The additional wear and tear on the starter has got to be incredible. Not to mention the battery. You can turn it off after you start the car BUT it's back on again the next time you start the car. Fortunately someone came up with an aftermarket fix to permanently shut that feature off but you have the option of turning it back on. These modern cars are coming with more and more standard features that I would never order if I had a choice.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
The hell with the gas mileage, it can't be good from a mechanical perspective. Even if you saved two 50 gallon barrels of gas over X time frame, that is probably not enough to cover the starter replacement bill.

I get a laugh when the car next to me in traffic or at a stop light starts up to creep forward 12 inches.

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
There is no way you can tell me that it does not add significant wear to the starter, battery and engine. This is all about the EPA.

The auto manufactures could care less about all the additional wear and tear it causes, as a matter of fact, they probably like it as you will spend more time in their service department.

I hate this feature with a passion and it's one reason I am not looking at the new Ford Ranger.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
One learned to know which gas stations were on level ground, on a downhill slope, and the dreaded up hill which was to be avoided like the plague...

Ain't that the truth

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
My truck's computer keeps track of idle time in hours.

At idle without the A/C on, an engine burns approximately .085 gallons of fuel per hour per liter of engine displacement. So, 6.7x.085x163.4 gallons of fuel. At $3 per gallon, that's $490.34 I could have saved over the last three years and 63,000 miles.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
My truck's computer keeps track of idle time in hours.

At idle without the A/C on, an engine burns approximately .085 gallons of fuel per hour per liter of engine displacement. So, 6.7x.085x163.4 gallons of fuel. At $3 per gallon, that's $490.34 I could have saved over the last three years and 63,000 miles.

What’s your monthly payment and how long did you finance?

This seems like it could be a useful feature. But I have no use for due to where and how I drive.

What happens in the winter? How long does it take the cabin to warm up? Do these vehicles use electric strip heaters for heat?

It is currently 13 degrees out right now. Are you able to warm the vehicle up?

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not Today
Picture of badcopnodonut!!
posted Hide Post
My wife’s 2018 Fusion has it.

I.

HATE.

IT.

Dumbest idea since low flow toilets.

Hi,I'm Buck Melonoma,Moley Russels' wart.

Posts: 2926 | Location: sunflower state | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
One of our SIGforum members has a new F-150 (man, I love that truck!). I ride with him couple times a month.

After he starts the engine he just reaches up to the button on the dash that disables this "feature" for the trip. It takes less time and effort than fastening a seat belt, which is something we do every trip. I don't see it as a big deal.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
My car (‘18 bmw) has this in eco and comfort modes (the car starts in comfort mode). I tried it the first month and with my driving style it didn’t make too much of a difference in mpg. It’s also annoying when I stop and shift to reverse I have to wait for the engine to restart.

I eventually bought a coding app and turned the start/stop to be off by default.

When I was in tampa, we rented a Toyota which had the feature. I remembered how much I hated it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Broadside:

What’s your monthly payment and how long did you finance?

This seems like it could be a useful feature. But I have no use for due to where and how I drive.

What happens in the winter? How long does it take the cabin to warm up? Do these vehicles use electric strip heaters for heat?

It is currently 13 degrees out right now. Are you able to warm the vehicle up?

I'm not sure what a monthly payment or period financed would have to do with a feature my truck doesn't have, but 0 for both. I paid cash same as I have for everything I've purchase in the last 10 years including a house. It's my money, I've worked for it, and I try to use it as efficiently as I can.

I'm not defending it or bashing it. I don't have it, but when people asked how much it could possibly save, I figured I could take a crack at it. I do this for a lot of things. When I first started working, we had a soda machine at work that was $.5 a can. I worked out how much each can was costing me ten years out and decided it wasn't worth it.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Considering starting the engine is one of the highest wear parts of operation, I can't imagine constant shutting down and restarting is the best thing for the engine longevity. It may not cause as much wear as the initial cold start, but it's still got to be worse than just letting it idle.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I hate everything new, which to me is anything that wasn't on my first car, a 1971 Pontiac, and don't want any part of it.
You damn kids . . .

Big Grin

I'm driving a 10 year old car with over 100K miles. OK... all 4 of my current vehicles are at least 10 years old and with over 100K miles.

So... I haven't had a car with this feature... but I don't think I'd like it either.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
Last year when we visited Boston we rented a Ford F150 that had the auto stop feature. It was quite interesting. After spending a little time getting use to it, I really didn't mind it. As soon as you ease up on the brake, the engine cuts on. Never once did I hit the gas and the engine wasn't running. It was smart enough to not engage in stop and go traffic and when you had the AC blasting, it wouldn't engage but stay on to maintain the AC. Overall I was impressed with how it was set up.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I talked with the Subaru salesman, and he said all I have to do is press the button and disengage it. No big deal. I can do that. I don't want that on my vehicle. It's EPA, no doubt.

GOD/Israel, family, 2nd amendment rights: in that order.
Tennessee -ELOHIM IS MY GOD!

Posts: 807 | Registered: May 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by the_sandman_454:
Considering starting the engine is one of the highest wear parts of operation, I can't imagine constant shutting down and restarting is the best thing for the engine longevity. It may not cause as much wear as the initial cold start, but it's still got to be worse than just letting it idle.

Unlike a manual start (driver turns key), the auto restart takes place with the engine under load as soon as it fires (in gear, and frequently accelerating immediately after starting). While my 2018 F150 is very unobtrusive when it restarts my routine is "start engine, push deactivate button, fasten seat belt". I plan to own it for a long time.

Posts: 687 | Location: Rural W. MI | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post