SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New vehicle technology: engine shuts down when stopped.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New vehicle technology: engine shuts down when stopped. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
My late father had a word for things like this,
Something else to go wrong!

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I've had this in my last two Mercedes. It's called "Eco" mode, and it can be turned off. Not permanently though, as it's switched on automatically when the car is started. It bothered me at first, but now I've gotten used to it, and it's so seamless that when I take my foot off the brake, I'm ready to go. I can hole shot pretty much any vehicle on the road, so it's not a performance killer.

One thing I don't like: In the summer, when Eco kicks in, the A/C compressor stops and only the fan continues. During the torrid days of summer, I'm more likely to turn off Eco mode for just this reason.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a rental car that would do that. The first time that it did it was at a red light and thought it had stalled out. As soon as i took my foot off the brake (to try and restart it) the engine came back on. That thing drove me nuts, i hated that feature.

Posts: 2225 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
i hated that feature

worst idea ever

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Udo
posted Hide Post
Every gas golf cart made!

Posts: 1762 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: January 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I first experienced it in a rental Chevy Malibu. I really didn't like it, as it was very noticeable and no way to bypass it.
My wife's '17 Ford Escape had it and it's such a smoother engine that it's not that noticeable at all. It can be bypasses by a button or putting it in sport mode.
I've gotten used to it, and in stop and go traffic due to staggered stoplights, it makes sense.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I think it's stupid on multiple fronts. No self respecting redneck would be caught dead driving one, unless one killed him for failing to GO when it was really important. Also I'm not sure that starter technology has caught up with such a high duty cycle, I don't get that. Batteries too.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It's the worst thing ever in the history of man.

No seriously, I absolutely despise this feature.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
In stop and go rush hour freeway traffic on a good hot afternoon in any big city, seems to me there’s bound to be a number of 3-4 year old batteries that give out because of this stupid idea.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Drove in Italy and Sicily with the feature... disconcerting at first, after a while I didn’t seem to notice it.

It functioned flawlessly for the time I used the Automobiles, wouldn’t say I was impressed by it, wasn’t irritated by it either after a couple hours.

Not familiar with the reliability aspect, cars being fuel injected, I don’t think much is added... crap, all functions are handled by the computer these days.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
My wife's 17 Edge has it, but it is shut off.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Had a rental Chevy Malibu while we were in North Carolina for Nationals. Absolutely hated it. Not seamless at all, a delay and a jolt when starting off. It was to the point that pulling out on the highway induced a lot more drama than it should have. No way to shut it off either.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wrightd:
I think it's stupid on multiple fronts. No self respecting redneck would be caught dead driving one, unless one killed him for failing to GO when it was really important. Also I'm not sure that starter technology has caught up with such a high duty cycle, I don't get that. Batteries too.

As was mentioned in a post above, the newer advanced systems do not use the starter on restarts, the computer knows which cylinder was left in compression and that cylinder is fired to restart the engine.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have this on my 2018 F-150 and it normally doesn't bother me, with the exception of sitting, waiting to turn. When the engine restarts, the steering is w/out the assistance of power steering initially. The start/stop feature I believe only runs when in 'eco' mode; if I set the driving mode to something more performance driven it's disabled and in 'eco' mode I can disable it at anytime.

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wifes Jeep has the feature. You kind of get use to it. Do I think it really saves gas, No. Every time you inch up in traffic the vehicle starts again.

I did notice the windshield did fog up a little bit while stopped. I believe the fan powers down slightly since is not running on full power.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
yet another 'brilliant' solution in search of a problem

ran into this renting a car in LA once, got on the freeway and I thought the car stalled, so I shut off the ignition and started it again - it did it so many times I took it back to the rental company and complained. They then told me about the feature.

I asked for a vehicle that didn't have it.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
My 2018 VW Tiguan has this feature. Over the past year I've gotten used to it. Feathering the brake pedal overrides the shutoff, and there is a disable switch on the center console.

Ditto for my 2018 F-150. I like the feature. The engine restarts when my foot leaves the brake pedal. How much fuel does it save? Depends on how long the train is or how long the red light is.
Mike

Yeah, the Ford system on the F150 was easy to trick, light brake pressure or more than 90* steering input.
My Mercedes I have to manually disable, if the brake is even partially depressed (enough to illuminate the brake lights) it kills the engine while stopped.

In 2 years, I saw no measurable difference with or without auto-stop in my F150 (all tracked with Fuelly).

I'll use it in the Mercedes for a long light or train, but otherwise have it disabled.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15282 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Les007:
I have this on my 2018 F-150 and it normally doesn't bother me, with the exception of sitting, waiting to turn. When the engine restarts, the steering is w/out the assistance of power steering initially. The start/stop feature I believe only runs when in 'eco' mode; if I set the driving mode to something more performance driven it's disabled and in 'eco' mode I can disable it at anytime.

I think that changed in 2017+
My 2016 would keep auto-stop enabled in normal & sport mode, but disabled in tow mode.

IIRC, the 2017 only enabled in normal. Disabled in Sport & Tow.

2018 got additional drive modes, so I'm not sure the combinations that result in enable/disable.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15282 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't buy a car that doesn't have the ability to disable this on a once-and-forget it model. Not every stupid time you start the car.

Our Cayman does this. I had it happen once after delivery, pressed the disable button and have no idea if it would still work.

It's disorienting to me in rentals, and for an owned car seems like you're going to be replacing starters more than normal. And batteries.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Golf carts have had this feature for decades. But I don't want it on any vehicle I'll drive like a normal person on the public roads. I'm frugal enough to turn off my engine when I encounter long waits like waiting for a train to pass or other such situations and smart enough to know to leave it running for a short period when the calculated "go time" is a matter of a minute or less. I don't need assistance with this. I always make an effort to save gas where I can.

It's all a game the car manufactures must play with the EPA people to satisfy the incremental MPG improvements mandated. There is only so much that can be done to the internal combustion engine to boost MPGs and until something better comes along (electric has a ways to go IMO) this is the sort of thing they will be throwing out there.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post