SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My daughter is off to Army basic training
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My daughter is off to Army basic training Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
My daughter is on her way to Fort Jackson for basic training. Apparently (?) in ROTC it's not required, but she wanted the full experience. We're very proud of her, but my poor wife is a wreck!

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Sounds like she has the makings of a good leader.

Posts: 11166 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did my basic at Fort Jackson exactly 60 years ago, June 1959, Company A, 9th Battalion, 2nd Training Regiment on "Tank Hill". Like they said at the time "Good training, builds character! " Your daughter will do fine and will be glad she did.

"If you think everything's going to be alright, you don't understand the problem!"- Gutpile Charlie
"A man's got to know his limitations" - Harry Callahan

Posts: 9249 | Location: Indian Territory, USA | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
As her about Tank Hill!

She will become VERY acquainted with that hill. Big Grin

I did Basic (and AIT) there from July-November 1991

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
My daughter went through Jackson in 2010. It was rough, but shge persevered and feels she's better for it. Graduation was an impressive day. First thing she wanted was Dunkin Donuts!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M-11,

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks to her and you, her parents.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thats awesome - give her my tanks for serving

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53181 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Why do they call it “relaxin’ Jackson”? Big Grin

I was initiated on Sand Hill, not much relaxing there.

Posts: 13112 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You and your wife should be very proud. I thank your daughter for her service.

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I re-enlisted in 2009, I was required to go back through basic training due to a break in service.

I was supposed to go relaxin' Jackson but I made them change it so I could go back to Fort Knox, KY for a second time because I wanted to go an all male basic training unit.

I did some training at Fort Jackson in 2014 before deploying.

What a busy place.

Most of my friends from the Civil Affairs world went to Fort Jackson for their basic and I swear they got it almost as rough as we did at Fort Knox.

I wish her luck. Especially with the heat coming on, there really won't be a need for snivel gear.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Why do they call it “relaxin’ Jackson”? Big Grin

I was initiated on Sand Hill, not much relaxing there.

That nickname came after I was there in 1991, because in '91 it was considered one of the toughest and strictest training posts in the entire Army.

When I got on a bus and was taken to the other side of post for AIT, it in many ways was like going through Basic Training again with job training lumped in, that's how we were treated. Other AIT posts, you could start wearing civvies and growing your hair, at Fort Jackson you had that head shaved like Day One in Basic and no civilian clothes ever. Drill Sergeants just like Basic. Had to march EVERYWHERE, got the shit PT'd out of us. hell, I lost more weight in AIT than in Basic.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Please thank her for her service.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
You and your wife should be very proud. I thank your daughter for her service.

This.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on raising her right. Another thanks for her service!

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's great! I didn't know basic was an option in ROTC, good for her. My opinion is every officer should have to go through basic and serve a total of a year enlisted.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
God Bless her. My daughter went thru Basic at Ft. Sill. It was the hardest thing she ever did in her young life, but I was EXTREMELY impressed with her personal transformation at the hands of her evil Drill Sergeants. The Graduation Ceremony was out of this world, and those Drill Sergeants had my utmost respect for how they transformed my daughter into a better human being than she was to begin with. Now I love the Army, after working for the Navy and Marine Corps as a contractor for a couple decades. Army kicks ass and takes names.

I am too impressed with your Daughter signing up for basic while pursuing a Commission. I can't recall the number of times I've heard that the best Officers are the ones with Enlisted experience. That is true by any comparison to working in the private sector in similar circumstances reporting to bosses with varied backgrounds. I'm pretty happy for you, enjoy the transformation !

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
Good luck to her (and your wife's nerves). I was at Ft Jackson in '86 for basic, then went back to Moncrief AMC after nursing school. I will hint to you to make sure they know she has a civilian drivers license, that way she's almost assured to drive to the ranges, etc...

Posts: 1986 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
I did DCLT (drill cadet leadership training...West Point cadets become drill sergeants for a summer) at Jackson in the summer of 1993. A movie with Danny devito had just finished filming there. I remember I could stop at a shoppette on my way back from work to my barracks and buy a six pack of miller genuine draft for $1.89

It was hotter than shit, and we worked our asses off (as is to be expected, the NCOs gave Kay-dets a lot of the shit details. They were sorry to see us go at the end though becUse we were one more person to split the work load with). I learned a lot that summer.

Thank your daughter for her service. And tell her to drink water. Continuously, Like, she should have to pee every second of the day. Jackson in the summer is a bitch

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did basic there in 1976. Best of luck to your daughter.

Posts: 2128 | Location: Tacoma, Wa. | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TexasScrub:
Good luck to her (and your wife's nerves). I was at Ft Jackson in '86 for basic, then went back to Moncrief AMC after nursing school. I will hint to you to make sure they know she has a civilian drivers license, that way she's almost assured to drive to the ranges, etc...

Basic Trainees no longer drive during basic. You need a Military drivers license and a check ride on the type of vehicle you are operating.

Good on the OP's daughter for choosing to go to basic. too many of my fellow officers act like their arms are painted on and seem unwilling to pick up a mop or broom.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post