SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Daughter and Archery - A new challenge - Update at Top
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daughter and Archery - A new challenge - Update at Top Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Holy crap! We had team practice tonight and I had them shooting in a head to head format to get them ready for elimination rounds for the Arizona Cup this weekend and AZ State Outdoor at the end of the month. We managed to get 3 rounds in, our daughter absolutely crushed one of her friends that started archery at the same time she did, beat her best friend who consistently puts up higher scores than she does and lost to Cooper by 2 points 144/150 to 146/150. Cooper is our team's rockstar and finished ranked 6th in the country for the 15-16 year old age group last year. I told her on the drive home tonight if she can shoot this weekend the way she shot tonight, great things are going to happen.

Our daughter is going to be shooting in the Arizona Cup this weekend. This is a huge tournament and her first time shooting in it. The Arizona Cup is one of the four USAT (United States Archery Team) qualifying events of the year. She will be taking the field alongside members of the US National Team as well as national teams from other countries. Since it is a qualifying event and the minimum age for the national team is 15, our 11 year old daughter is having to shoot up 2 full age divisions to compete.

I don't expect her to finish on the podium and I don't expect her to finish DFL either. It's just one of those things as a parent that I wonder if I'm doing the right thing by letting her compete. It's an extremely high of competition and she is the youngest one registered. As a parent I want to see my daughter challenged, but I don't want to see her defeated. We've talked with her about her goals and expectations. The attitude has been building for experience towards the future.

On top of the competition is the fact that our daughter will be truly on her own this weekend. I'm a field judge for the tournament, my wife is the assistant director of scoring and her coach is the IT director. It's all on our daughter to make sure she gets through equipment inspection, knows her bale assignments and shooting times and be able to make her own adjustments on the line.

If we didn't think she was up to the challenge we would't have let her register for it. It's truly going to be a test for her this weekend; not so much in her shooting skill as her maturity and discipline in competition. It's one of those things where I have to let go, hope for success and pray against failure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
It's just one of those things as a parent that I wonder if I'm doing the right thing by letting her compete. It's an extremely high of competition and she is the youngest one registered.

You dont get better by playing the worse teams in the leagues. Seems like a nice way to grow to the future if that is her goal. As long as she understands this is a building block to the next step I think she will be fine. Freshman play on the varsity team all the time, sure different in this sport but it should only help her grow. Best of luck Maya.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Good luck! That will be a good experience to add to your knowledge if nothing else.

Maybe she will put one arrow down the shaft of another arrow. Big Grin My neighbor did that several years ago while practicing.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Pluribus Unum
Picture of JRC
posted Hide Post
If Maya's attitude is "building for experience towards the future", that is EXACTLY where it should be. Good for her.

At the level of competition she will be competing in this weekend, and at two age-levels up to begin with, the experience she gains in her first USAT qualifier will be a big advantage to her down the road.

Best of luck for a great experience!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JRC,

Posts: 1407 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: March 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
Good for You and your wife for allowing Maya to take this next step!

This sounds like a tremendously positive chance for her to learn and grow at the next level.

All of her SigForum family are proud of her and send our best wishes!

You GO, girl!!! Big Grin

Don

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Don just said.

From other postings from you regarding Maya, it sounds like she is maturing beyond her years. That said, I think you did the right thing letting her take this next step. Being around older and more experienced archers could a huge positive for her and her future endeavors.

Good luck Maya and remember to have fun.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't wait for the after action report!

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I have nothing to add aside from my best wishes

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck, Maya! You can do this!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looking forward to a report.
Shoot straight, Maya.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Maya seems quite well grounded based on the numerous reports you've posted about her adventures in recent times, no doubt due to her upbringing and genes. Smile I suspect this event will be another positive maturation one for her.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Put one in the Pepsi sign for Sigforum, then it is all uphill from there. Big Grin

Seriously. It sounds like a great experience. Good luck!

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally think it will be the mental challenge of shooting up 2 age groups.

Thats to biggest hurdle, though also the biggest learning aspect to grow and learn

GO MAYA!!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6226 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have raised your kid right. She is more mature and squared away than the majority of Americans haha. As long as she still enjoys it let her compete!

-----------------------
be safe.

Posts: 260 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: June 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Update at top.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post