SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    POC Space? Universities have spaces for persons of color?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

POC Space? Universities have spaces for persons of color? Login/Join 
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
The young lady in the video would be SHOCKED if someone pointed out she was being racist.
I have a black "friend" that has told me more times than I can count: "I can't be racist, I'm black"

To which I told him: "That's the most racist shit I've heard in my entire life"

You'd be surprised how many of them virulently feel that way...

I don't associate much with that guy anymore, by choice of both of us. I made the mistake of calling him out in front of a bunch of mutual friends.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kraquin:
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

Maybe if they acted a little more like the non-POC they would feel more accepted.

flashguy

You might be a bit more specific.
I live in a all non-POC community of about 15,000 and there are persons of exemplary behavior but then the 440 bed jail is at capacity and the Police blotter is never short of incidents not to mention the county sex offender registry is extensive.
I was specifically referring to that group.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
They were self segregating in the mid to late '80s when I went to college.

Sounds like Haley Center lobby, for those of us from Auburn.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Somehow the student missed the intend of this multicultural center. The official justification is:

“In order to foster the diversity of experience and ideas that make UVA a great and good place to study and work, these centers are open to all members...along with the university’s LGBTQ center. A dedicated Latinx Student Center and an Interfaith Student Center were opened on the same day.”

Seems more people then just POC are welcomed. Can we imagine the uproar if “too many straights” or “too many Latinos” or “too many atheists” was the complaint?

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
So let me get this straight. “Colored person” is a racist term but these idiots think “person of color” isn’t a racist term. WTF?! It isn’t even a logical term, all people have some sort of skin color.

POC = Pink, Optimally Colored? Smile

Posts: 15029 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
So let me get this straight. “Colored person” is a racist term but these idiots think “person of color” isn’t a racist term. WTF?! It isn’t even a logical term, all people have some sort of skin color.
I believe they use that term to include Black (African-American), Brown (Hispanic), Red (Native American), and Yellow (Asian) under one umbrella. Basically, it means "not White".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post