SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Breaking News: Hugh Hefner has passed away
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Breaking News: Hugh Hefner has passed away Login/Join 
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Millions of hairy palms have been raised in salute.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:

I can't see them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
Yep, thats our problem alright, we are just too prudish and sexually restricted.

Marriages and families are thriving since the sexual revolution.

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Who cares what societal norms he challenged? He took pics of hot naked chicks and put them in a magazine with jokes and articles.

Genius.

I used to say the definition of maturity was when you decide that the cartoons in The New Yorker are funnier than the ones in Playboy.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
quote:
Originally posted by Shifferbrains:

I can't see them.

LOL. My seeing eye dog appreciates this post.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
A little OT, but you're going there, so I feel the need to also.

It's not the sexual revolution that caused the problem, as much as it was women's liberation. Women who work don't need men to support them. At the slightest sign of problems, they bail on the marriage, and take the kids with them. The kids then functionally have no father (even if he continues paying for them.) That's what destroyed the family.

I blame the lesbian feminazis of the 60s and 70s much more than Hefner.

quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
Yep, thats our problem alright, we are just too prudish and sexually restricted.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:

It's not the sexual revolution that caused the problem, as much as it was women's liberation. Women who work don't need men to support them. At the slightest sign of problems, they bail on the marriage, and take the kids with them. The kids then functionally have no father (even if he continues paying for them.) That's what destroyed the family.

quote:

Uh, ok I get it, from a male perspective, you're blaming the women!

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

quote:

Well, many blame LBJ and his Great Society project for making the govt the subtitute husband.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you want to look at why the two parent nuclear family is not what it was prior to, say, 1965? If you want to know why kids seem, and likely are, much more screwed up than "the good old days"? Yes that's where I put most of the blame.

Raising kids is a full time job. Not two part time jobs. Certainly not one part time job. The at first voluntary, then somewhat mandatory, entry of women into the labor market has screwed up the American family in a number of ways.

quote:
quote:

quote:

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The universal availability of economical reliable contraception came in there somewhere.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Not just the feminazis, the whole general hippie liberal generation ruined it all

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
What's ruined, exactly?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
All I know is that no one can honestly say Hugh Hefner is in a better place now.........just saying.

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Nude women have been depicted throughout history. Hefner simply marketed the same concept that predated him by thousands of years.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15718 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Nude women have been depicted throughout history. Hefner simply marketed the same concept that predated him by thousands of years.

According to what I have read about the course of civilization, folks didn't really wear clothes much until relatively modern times. The Olympics were conducted by nude athletes in Greece, for example

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I think you nailed it on the head 911 Boss.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I grew up in the fifties in a middle class neighborhood. I can still name the thirty or so families that lived in close proximity. The thing they all had in common was that no one was divorced and none of the women but one, a teacher, worked outside the home. This thing started going downhill, when divorce was made more accessible and acceptable and women were convinced that they needed a "career" to be fulfilled, that and the fact that in today's economy, you need two incomes to keep up with the Joneses .

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
This thing started going downhill, when divorce was made more accessible and acceptable ........

So, it was better when women just stayed in an awful marriage as another cross to bear?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Dang, uh, this thread has changed since last I peaked in on it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107592 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If there are children involved, yes. And mostly for nuts and bolts reasons. There are still two parents in the house. The father is still in the picture. There aren't two households to support. Etc. It may not be happy, but it's more functional, and it's less likely the kids will be screwed up than if the parents divorce.

quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
This thing started going downhill, when divorce was made more accessible and acceptable ........

So, it was better when women just stayed in an awful marriage as another cross to bear?