SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What was your worst experience on a plane?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was your worst experience on a plane? Login/Join 
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted
Mine was on a small commuter twin engine plane which didn't have a toilet. Prior to boarding I was waiting in the lounge, having a couple cups of coffee. At some point between Bridgeport and DC,along with more than normal turbulence,I realized I had to piss and that it wasn't the kind that could be held for any length of time. It was more than an hour before landing.

The pressure continued to build as did my sense of panic. It got to the point where I actually remember thinking that if the plane went down at least my agony would be over. I eyed the barf bag but knew I wasn't going that route.

Finally landed at one of the commuter terminals and walked bent over (couldn't stand straight up) until I got to the men's room. I must have stood there a good 4 or more minutes before I was emptied.

That, for me, was the plane trip from hell.

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Some lady's cat threw up in one of the rear heads just prior to T/O. The smell wafted through the entire cabin. Flight was delayed until a hazmat crew finished a cleanup.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

On short final in a Piper PA28-161 Warrior when a helicopter student was directed to hold short of the runway.

Because he was expecting to given clearance, hovered onto the runway and took off.

My flight instructor applied full power and did a right 90 degree turn between the helicopter and the tower.

Im not sure who was pissed off more, my flight instructor at the helicopter student or the Air Traffic Controllers because they thought we were going to fly through the tower.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Once, they ran out of Chateau Latour bordeaux and I had to settle for Chateau Margaux.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Commercial
Multiple flights from IAH to MAF in ERJ145s, unfortunately nearly pressed to the wall/window by a larger row-mate.

Private
Ride-along with the owner of the plane I flew for lessons as she did some night proficiency in her Cessna Cardinal.
Just after rotation, the carb heat worked itself on (weak friction lock) & she thought she was losing the engine. Cut power & prepared to land, noticed the carb heat, went full power & climbed out with the stall horn starting to sound.
Just a bit unnerving.

Similarly, in her Cessna 150M, we were taking it for its annual, and found out the destination airport had no lights (departing at dusk). We did some touch & go while waiting for our ride to get back. Last landing was a slightly rough touchdown on the RR wheel & triggered a bit of a corkscrew motion (nose up, roll to left, nose down, flare & touch down). A bit roller-coaster-ish for us, but apparently her husband & daughter thought we were going to crash observing from a distance.

Last one, same group, in the above mentioned Cardinal. Flying from 45R near Beaumont to UOX in Oxford, MS.
We were less than 30 minutes from UOX when we hit some weather (VFR). Attempted to push through it a bit, with some light 'turbulence' before aborting & diverting to GNF in Grenada, MS & making the hour drive in a rental car.
Just prior to aborting the approach to UOX, we had water starting to come in through the vent windows in the doors from the rain & decided it was a poor idea to push on.

Luckily, no 'bad' incidents as PIC.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This all happened in the same church trip from LAX to London to Nairobi to Kigali to Nairobi to London to LAX.
  • Flying from Nairobi, Kenya, to Kigali, Rwanda, I had an aisle seat and men in suits would lift luggage into the overhead bin and the smell would gag a maggot. Just because they wore a suit doesn't mean they showered or used deodorant.
  • Having a machine gun pointed at me in the airport in Nairobi while waiting 8 hours for the flight to London (Technically, it wasn't on a plane). They clustered two gates together and had security screening and walls around each cluster. I was taking pictures of my friends and didn't realize the security checkpoint was in the background. The "soldier" took offense to me photographing a security checkpoint.
  • Nairobi to London, I was seated in economy next to this rude asshole and his doormat of a wife. For some reason, he insisted on sitting in the middle seat next to my fat ass instead of having his petite wife sit in the middle seat. It was an overnight flight and the fidgety asshole couldn't get comfortable or fall asleep and would angrily shift positions every few minutes. I was sleeping with my shoes off and there was a draft on the floor so I kept my feet on top of my shoes. When my feet would fall off the I would put my feet back on (barely wake up) and quickly go back to sleep. Middle seat asshole wakes me up to use the restroom and he comes back with a stewardess complaining about me moving my feet every 10 or 15 minutes. I was then quizzed by the stewardess about my health history and whether I had restless leg syndrome. In other words, the MF'er woke me up to go complain to the stewardess about me sleeping and then I had to stay up even longer when he returned to explain that I didn't have restless leg syndrome to someone who could do nothing about it even if I did. Like I said, I was on a church trip (i.e. didn't want to do/say something "unChristian") and it took a lot to show grace and keep my inner asshole from escaping.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23257 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Green grass and
    high tides
    Picture of old rugged cross
    posted Hide Post
    sitting in the last row right next to the shitter on a 3 bour flight with a steady stream of users. Of which half I had to tell to close the f-----g door.That was a nightmare.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19187 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    The Unmanned Writer
    Picture of LS1 GTO
    posted Hide Post
    Ever fly Dubai air from Amsterdam to Oman?

Easily the crappiest and worse smelling (think stale diapers, barf, and mildew mixed)?

To top things off, once the doors closed English was not spoken again. Only thing the stewardess knew was to hand a pictorial of drinks. Guy next to said all alcohol was free, just don't be drunk when we land.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    paradox in a box
    Picture of frayedends
    posted Hide Post
    Nothing bad other than the occasional scary turbulence. The worst thing was waiting on the tarmac in DC due to a weather delay. Captain announced everyone to stay seated as we would have a very short window to take off. He then announces flight attendants take your seats for takeoff. A lady then unbuckles and goes into the bathroom. We missed our window and sat for almost 2 more hours. Flight attendants were knocking and telling her to go back to her seat. She was oblivious. Looked like she had headphones on and missed most announcements.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12437 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Raised Hands Surround Us
    Three Nails To Protect Us
    Picture of Black92LX
    posted Hide Post
    LAX to STL in High School. Woke up mid flight having difficulty breathing, blurred vision, sweating profusely, freezing cold, and uncontrollable tremoring.
    Notified the flight attendant and I was moved to first class to be laid out. A Dr was requested and a pediatrician was onboard. They hooked me up to oxygen and monitored my vitals had me drink some juice.
    Was met on the tarmac by an ambulance. For the most part everything had settled. Figured it was a drop in blood sugar. I had some food and more drink.
    They wanted me to be seen at the hospital but I was feeling worlds better and vitals were good.
    I refused as I still had one more flight to get back home as the girlfriend’s prom was that night.

————————————————
    The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
    If we got each other, and that's all we have.
    I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
    You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25422 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of dsiets
    posted Hide Post
    Mexico to Houston, the diarrhea chose to hit just on approach when we were told to prepare for an extra long landing, extra long taxi to the terminal, and everyone please jump into the isle and take your time so I can't get back to the bathroom.
    God help the passengers that boarded that plane after I left it.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Well, I will leave out the C-130 and KC-135 experiences!
    Last time I flew from Detroit to NOLA, I was so crowded into the tiny seat that my lower legs were numb and I could barely stand when the flying bus finally landed.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
    Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Something wild
    is loose
    Picture of Doc H.
    posted Hide Post
    Downdraft on takeoff, and seeing the starboard wingtip clear a small bush on the ground by about two feet.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of bigdeal
    posted Hide Post
    Two....

First, on a Delta Express flight from Tallahassee to Orlando on a normal summer afternoon in Florida (read that as raining like hell) we took off and within 5 minutes were struck by lightning knocking out a whole lotta electronics. Back to Tallahassee we limped.

Second, on a Delta flight out of LaGuardia. we were airborne for like 10 minutes before smoke started to fill the top of the cabin while alarms were going off. Then a crew member came out into the cabin, opened a panel, and began pulling at wires while more smoke developed. Back to LaGuardia we went for an emergency landing. And guess where they parked us until they could determine if the plane was going to burn to the ground...right next to the fuel depot! I kid you not. Two hours later they'd repaired that plane and opted to send it onto Orlando. I was one of only four passengers to get back on it.

-----------------------------
    Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Official Space Nerd
    Picture of Hound Dog
    posted Hide Post
    Flying to Germany the first time in 1991. It was a government contract DC-10 full of GIs and families. I was pressed up against the window seat with two huge army guys next to me in the center and aisle seats, so I had no 'room to breathe.' Oh, this was also before the smoking ban took effect, so I was 10 rows away from the smoking section (and of course, there was no magic barrier preventing nasty cigarette smoke from intruding my area). I tried sleeping, but every time I dozed off the steward woke me up to ask if I wanted a drink. Worst flight of my life (I flew across the Atlantic 9 more times, and they were all great, ESPECIALLY compared to this one).

One of the best (though some would not agree) was Dulles to Canton, Ohio, in a puddle-jumper commuter plane through the middle of a wicked thunderstorm. Plane was bouncing around in yaw, roll, and pitch, all at the same time. Roughest flight I've ever been in. I was in the front seat and they had the cockpit door propped open (this was 1992), so I had a great view. Some onboard were likely praying for death, but I enjoyed it.

Fear God and Dread Nought
    Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    It's not you,
    it's me.
    Picture of RAMIUS
    posted Hide Post
    Chicago, Midway Airport, 2 years ago. Big Snow storm, which led to an 8 hour delay. During which we got on and off the plane 3 times because they kept changing their mind.

The snow wasn’t stopping, but eventually they got us on and decided to go. So much snow everywhere, I was convinced we’d crash.

As we headed to take off, we passed another plane that slid off the runway. I never was so sure I was gonna die. During take off, I swear the plane felt sluggish (in my mind it did) and the concerned faces around me only reinforced the fact that we were going to die in my mind. Once up, the freaking co-pilot kept walking back and looking at the wings.

I’ve flown hundreds of times in bad weather, but that one experience made me hate flying.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Lightening struck the vertical stabilizer of a C130 I was supposed to jump out of with several others.

We did not jump because the pilot diverted to the nearest military base.

Posts: 1065 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Observer
    Picture of phxtoad
    posted Hide Post
    Flying a Cherokee with my fiance in the right seat a year after getting my license (low time):

Went to get the proverbial $100 cheeseburger, and while trying to land we were blown clear off the runway from a surprise rear quartering crosswind gust. Was still doing +65 knots in the weeds (with the new tail wind), headed for a row of parked aircraft. Got it quickly pointed back onto the runway heading, opened the throttle and did a British carrier-style leap back into ground effect from the perpendicular midfield taxiway's bermed side.

Figured it was better to get back in the air than to just experience a powerless jump and a hard landing on the other side of that taxiway. Climbed out slowly and collected myself.
    Decided to depart and head home after that.

Simultaneously exciting and terrifying.

And that was the last time she flew with me...

phxtoad

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Posts: 420 | Location: Tempe, Arizona | Registered: October 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    And say my glory was
    I had such friends.
    Picture of Hunthelp
    posted Hide Post
    I had the BO induced seat change after visiting with a flight attendant. He smelled like a whole gym full of 100 basketball players who had been running sprints for 10 hours.

"I don't shoot well, but I shoot often." - Pres. T. Roosevelt

Posts: 1941 | Location: Chandler, AZ | Registered: June 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Nothing that was crazy or outrageous, the last trip that stood out was a flight I changed, left early. The terminal was steamy and hot, as San Diego was more humid than normal, and everyone on the flight was a bit surly. From SAN to SMF, 90-min flight, I had a grossly overweight, Santa Claus looking guy, beard and all, sweaty, dressed in denim head-to-toe, with heavy BO, plopped himself in the middle seat. This guy squeezed in and had all sorts of himself pushing out from under the armrest. I usually sit aisle, but, this time I choose windows; I mentally slapped myself for going against the norm and now I had to endure sweaty, Santa Claus in a Canadian tuxedo for a relatively short flight.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post