SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO). This thread is a comment on the use of the acronym and the disrespect it shows for both parties.
Page 1 2 3 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO). This thread is a comment on the use of the acronym and the disrespect it shows for both parties. Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
It's harmless. I have utmost respect for my wife and I don't put her down to others. Calling her "the warden" or "fun governor" is sometimes a harmless joke, and I have said those to her and in front of her. She has some fun ones for me as well.

I think it's just screwing around.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Report This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I think it's dumb and weird, but I'm not really into British TV shows. So now that I know the etymology, I still find it annoying.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Report This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Years ago I used to bowl with a couple that were quite a bit older than me.

The wife said something to her husband and he had a SWMBO moment. For real. I made a comment about how when the ol'lady spoke he listened.

She turned to me and firmly told me the she and him had been married for 30 years and he had never once referred to her as his ol'lady.

This was one of the nicest couples I ever knew and she was a particularly nice person. To have her talk to me the way she did, with such disappointment in her face and tone cut me to the quick.

I learned a little something about people that night. Doesn't keep me from calling my wife my ol'lady now and then.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
My wife was looking over my shoulder as I typed this and said "Doesn't anybody have a sense of humor any more?"

Nope, none. I’m like Spock.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

Nope, none. I’m like Spock.

Fictional?

Posts: 3370 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Report This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've found it's better than introducing her as "my first wife."

Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Report This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I've found it's better than introducing her as "my first wife."

Eek

Now that right there is funny!!!!

I often tell my wife and 18 year old daughter that all women are BSC (bat shit crazy) some more than others. They tell me that all men are assholes, how big depends on the day.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Report This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
My wife and I after 20 years together are still just silly in love with each other, are very secure in our relationship, and both share a demented sense of humor. If SWMBO seems off color you'd blush to hear some of ours. Razz

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I’ll quit posting in “What’s Your Deal;” I’m just not very good at it

Nah, don't sweat it. It's a place to "pitch your bitch," but when one does, he should be prepared for other people to bitch about his having bitched about it.

Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I should have added:

Of course if you or your wife find it offensive, then you absolutely shouldn't do it.

After 44 years of marriage, my wife's sense of humor is nearly as twisted as mine. We see it as banter.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Report This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I have to refer to her as something.

I could just refer to her as “the wife” but where is the fun in that.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3840 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Report This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I’m more of a fan of “the wife”. It’s simpler.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Report This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I disagree that the acronym or the phrase doesn't show respect for the wife. People who understand nuance and language sees the humor and intent of using the phrase.

"She Who Must Be Obeyed" Why must she be obeyed? You're a free agent in a society where 50% of marriages end up in divorce. Unless you're a into being a Submissive and having your wife as a Dominatrix or if you truly are afraid of her, there's really nothing compelling you to obey your wife.

The phrase states you begrudgingly obey her presumably because you are under duress. But one truly under duress would be compelled to not communicate their duress with others. Therefore, saying you begrudgingly obey your wife but under no duress, you are obeying your wife because of something else.

It's called sarcasm.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Report This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The overuse of the word “gubbermint” annoys me a lot more.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Report This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
"I say, I say - that's a joke, son"
- Foghorn Leghorn

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Report This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Bet you are just an absolute hoot at social gatherings...

quote:
I guess I’ll quit posting in “What’s Your Deal;” I’m just not very good at it

Too bad you didn’t realize that at 8:50 am PDT ON 4/2... Could have saved everyone from all this

quote:
The first time I saw the acronym and became aware of its meaning I understood it to be used jokingly, and gave a half smile. When a “joke” is repeated again and again, I no longer smile. YMMV

One use ONLY jokes and acronyms. Now there is something I don’t think will be catching on anytime soon.

Now I’ve been known to show my ass on occasion, but when called out on it you know what I DON’T do? Show more ass.

As another said, if someone is looking to be offended, they’ll find something offensive. I know several women who get spun up at “the wife”. “I have a name”, “I’m a PERSON!”, etc.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
OK, let's take it easy. It's OK for the OP to complain and have his opinions. The discussion which followed his complaint is normal. Not everyone will have the same opinion on this and it's OK for those with a different opinion from the OP to express those opinions.

It's all cool, gents.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I have always assumed it to be playful or joking, not to be taken over-literally. I hardly think any members have dominatrices for wives.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

4. If either of us thought for one second that the other was serious, there'd be lawyers hell to pay. And probably hell lawyers...

Fixed it for you, Paul....

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Report This Post