SIGforum
She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO). This thread is a comment on the use of the acronym and the disrespect it shows for both parties.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/230601935/m/9270012554

April 02, 2019, 04:27 PM
Lord Vaalic
She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO). This thread is a comment on the use of the acronym and the disrespect it shows for both parties.
It's harmless. I have utmost respect for my wife and I don't put her down to others. Calling her "the warden" or "fun governor" is sometimes a harmless joke, and I have said those to her and in front of her. She has some fun ones for me as well.

I think it's just screwing around.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day
April 02, 2019, 04:34 PM
Skins2881
I think it's dumb and weird, but I'm not really into British TV shows. So now that I know the etymology, I still find it annoying.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis
April 02, 2019, 04:34 PM
sandman76
Years ago I used to bowl with a couple that were quite a bit older than me.

The wife said something to her husband and he had a SWMBO moment. For real. I made a comment about how when the ol'lady spoke he listened.

She turned to me and firmly told me the she and him had been married for 30 years and he had never once referred to her as his ol'lady.

This was one of the nicest couples I ever knew and she was a particularly nice person. To have her talk to me the way she did, with such disappointment in her face and tone cut me to the quick.

I learned a little something about people that night. Doesn't keep me from calling my wife my ol'lady now and then.

April 02, 2019, 04:50 PM
TMats
quote:
My wife was looking over my shoulder as I typed this and said "Doesn't anybody have a sense of humor any more?"

Nope, none. I’m like Spock.

April 02, 2019, 04:54 PM
Paten
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:

Nope, none. I’m like Spock.

Fictional?
April 02, 2019, 04:55 PM
Georgeair
I've found it's better than introducing her as "my first wife."

Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

April 02, 2019, 05:13 PM
V-Tail

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
April 02, 2019, 05:14 PM
F12517
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I've found it's better than introducing her as "my first wife."

Eek

Now that right there is funny!!!!

I often tell my wife and 18 year old daughter that all women are BSC (bat shit crazy) some more than others. They tell me that all men are assholes, how big depends on the day.
April 02, 2019, 05:25 PM
Ryanp225
My wife and I after 20 years together are still just silly in love with each other, are very secure in our relationship, and both share a demented sense of humor. If SWMBO seems off color you'd blush to hear some of ours. Razz
April 02, 2019, 05:58 PM
vthoky
quote:
I guess I’ll quit posting in “What’s Your Deal;” I’m just not very good at it

Nah, don't sweat it. It's a place to "pitch your bitch," but when one does, he should be prepared for other people to bitch about his having bitched about it.

Wink

God bless America.
April 02, 2019, 06:01 PM
PHPaul
I should have added:

Of course if you or your wife find it offensive, then you absolutely shouldn't do it.

After 44 years of marriage, my wife's sense of humor is nearly as twisted as mine. We see it as banter.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
April 02, 2019, 08:17 PM
SpinZone
I have to refer to her as something.

I could just refer to her as “the wife” but where is the fun in that.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

April 02, 2019, 08:57 PM
flesheatingvirus
I’m more of a fan of “the wife”. It’s simpler.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --
April 03, 2019, 02:59 AM
Rey HRH
I disagree that the acronym or the phrase doesn't show respect for the wife. People who understand nuance and language sees the humor and intent of using the phrase.

"She Who Must Be Obeyed" Why must she be obeyed? You're a free agent in a society where 50% of marriages end up in divorce. Unless you're a into being a Submissive and having your wife as a Dominatrix or if you truly are afraid of her, there's really nothing compelling you to obey your wife.

The phrase states you begrudgingly obey her presumably because you are under duress. But one truly under duress would be compelled to not communicate their duress with others. Therefore, saying you begrudgingly obey your wife but under no duress, you are obeying your wife because of something else.

It's called sarcasm.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
April 03, 2019, 06:54 AM
jljones
The overuse of the word “gubbermint” annoys me a lot more.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

April 03, 2019, 08:28 AM
WaterburyBob
"I say, I say - that's a joke, son"
- Foghorn Leghorn

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards
April 03, 2019, 09:23 AM
911Boss
Bet you are just an absolute hoot at social gatherings...

quote:
I guess I’ll quit posting in “What’s Your Deal;” I’m just not very good at it

Too bad you didn’t realize that at 8:50 am PDT ON 4/2... Could have saved everyone from all this

quote:
The first time I saw the acronym and became aware of its meaning I understood it to be used jokingly, and gave a half smile. When a “joke” is repeated again and again, I no longer smile. YMMV

One use ONLY jokes and acronyms. Now there is something I don’t think will be catching on anytime soon.

Now I’ve been known to show my ass on occasion, but when called out on it you know what I DON’T do? Show more ass.

As another said, if someone is looking to be offended, they’ll find something offensive. I know several women who get spun up at “the wife”. “I have a name”, “I’m a PERSON!”, etc.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

April 03, 2019, 09:37 AM
parabellum
OK, let's take it easy. It's OK for the OP to complain and have his opinions. The discussion which followed his complaint is normal. Not everyone will have the same opinion on this and it's OK for those with a different opinion from the OP to express those opinions.

It's all cool, gents.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023
April 03, 2019, 06:00 PM
egregore
I have always assumed it to be playful or joking, not to be taken over-literally. I hardly think any members have dominatrices for wives.
April 03, 2019, 06:03 PM
IntrepidTraveler
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

4. If either of us thought for one second that the other was serious, there'd be lawyers hell to pay. And probably hell lawyers...

Fixed it for you, Paul....

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)