SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Reply All
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reply All Login/Join 
Picture of Keystoner
posted
I'm hoping for validation here but I'm prepared to be in the minority because where I work, apparently I am in the minority.

For example: someone passes a licensure exam, someone wins a job, someone is having a baby, whatever--someone has a great accomplishment. I don't mind the companywide email announcing and congratulating that person. I'm glad to be informed about it. I'm frickin' irritated getting the congratulations reply-all emails for the rest of the day. If I want to separately congratulate that person, I'll reply to that person individually. Am I wrong about this?

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are correct. The entire list doesn’t need to see individual responses to such emails.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
BCC is your (their) friend when sending those type of messages.

I've passed that advice along a few times at work, especially on company wide emails.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Happens all the time in the organization where I work. Yes it’s annoying and ridiculous. But the purpose isn’t the congratulations itself, it’s so all the little kiss asses can be seen saying congratulations.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6727 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Not so bad where I am now, as it’s a small company.

Where I used to work, this is an example. It happened many times.

“Billy Jim Bob was just promoted to Sales Manager of the I-5 corridor Territory. Blah, blah, blah.”

This was sent to “all employees” (group in Active Directory). So 450 people received the email.

Never fail, there was a whole huge group of gladhanding baby kissing fuckers that hit reply all. Over the next 48 hours, everyone would receive a reply from AT LEAST HALF of these fuckwits. 200 goddamn emails saying “congratulations fuckface, glad you make more $$$”... Actually is was more friendly and ass kissy than that.

When I left that company, after 14 years, out IT director took over my computer/login. At one point he texted me because he had never seen anyone with hundreds upon hundreds of “rules” setup in outlook.

See, the first time some douche was promoted, I would set a rule to the subject line to simply mark as read, and trash an all emails with that subject.

Smile

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
See, the first time some douche was promoted, I would set a rule to the subject line to simply mark as read, and trash an all emails with that subject.

Smile

I'm so glad I made this thread!

Year V

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:... But the purpose isn’t the congratulations itself...

Anonymously desk bomb the prolific responders, with those tiny travel size hand-lotions and tissues, every time they do it.

Fangs out!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
Reply All is for nitwits and kiss-asses.

I once got an email from a superior on the board who was chewing this dude's ass out, basically calling him a moron in front of the entire company. He had sent it to the entire organization. Proof read your emails folks!

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:

Smile

I'm so glad I made this thread!

Well, I’m very glad to be of service.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
At a previous job, the company used Outlook. A female employee who sat at a desk in the next room sent an email to "group". Fine so far, but she clicked the magic button to notify her when the email was opened -- with a "ding".

For months we would all laugh outloud whenever her ding - ding - ding - ding started.

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Reply All can be very dangerous Eek

At my company a few years ago, someone sent out an email to a distro they thought was 30-40 people and by mistake COPIED THE ENTIRE GLOBAL ADDRESS LIST (100,000+ people total) and the resulting Reply-All Storm of people replying-all to tell people to stop...replying-all actually brought down our network and I could not get a damn thing done for the rest of the day. Frown

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I get scolded for not replying to all. Luckily my group is only 30 people or so as everything is site specific. Annoying as hell.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The right thing is for company wide emails to be sent out bcc.

In my last company, people were stupid as f*ck. Like the boss would send out an email to everyone in the department two or three levels down. Than a supervisor will reply to all saying, "Thanks for letting us know."

Or a company-wide email would be sent out that wasn't supposed to be sent out. Then people up and down the hierarchy including VPs would reply to all saying, "Please take me off this email chain." And each one generates a cascading set of reply backs from people asking to be taken off the distribution list.

There's some stupid people out there.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
I'm hoping for validation here but I'm prepared to be in the minority because where I work, apparently I am in the minority.

For example: someone passes a licensure exam, someone wins a job, someone is having a baby, whatever--someone has a great accomplishment. I don't mind the companywide email announcing and congratulating that person.

We prohibited them. Period. End of story.

At one point that started to get out of hand. I warned management they best nip it in the bud. They disregarded my counsel, not agreeing with my assessment of the inevitable harm it would do to the utility of email.

That lasted until a couple important official corporate announcements went out and hardly anybody noticed them. Why? Because people had begun to ignore their email due to the broadcast email noise.

A directive went out and I was weapons free to bring it to a halt. And I did. With a vengeance

Years later the company changed hands and we went through the whole process all over again.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Group texts suck!

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yes they do

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
BCC is your (their) friend when sending those type of messages.

I've passed that advice along a few times at work, especially on company wide emails.

Absolutely. I'm always surprised how many people haven't caught on to this and use it for any and every email that they don't want to turn into a group chat.

Heck I even use it with our owners to purposefully AVOID that on topics that might be inflammatory to one or more and keep them from easily firing off a WTF reply to the whole group.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
When y'all send a mass BCC email, who's the 'To,' yourself?

Year V

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

When I was still working, one of my tasks was to prepare the master image for all the desktops in the company. That image was used to ghost an install for new employees and to "nuke and pave" any PC that someone had screwed up downloading crap, etc.

In making that image, my little strike against Reply to All was to remove that icon from the Outlook toolbar. The function was still available via the main menu, but most of the idiots were just icon punchers and never even looked at the main menu. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

...In making that image, my little strike against Reply to All was to remove that icon from the Outlook toolbar.... Smile

You sir, are a hero.

quote:
The “lol” thread