SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Who decides the answers for identity verification?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who decides the answers for identity verification? Login/Join 
Picture of billnchristy
posted
Twice now I have failed the "Identity" test these jack hole websites are using. They ask me questions about places I have worked or cars I have owned and I never get them right.

Apparently someone is running around in a bunch of shitty cars with my name on the bill but apparently they always pay on time because there has never been any hits on my credit.

Seriously, where do they get this shit?

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
It helps if you have a copy of your credit report already. I just did that today for my credit reports.

When was the latest auto loan originated?
What street are you associated with?
Which of these counties have you lived in?

Except for the auto loan since it was a long time ago, I didn't have any problem with it.

If it's security questions for each web site, I write down the questions and my answers in code on a post-it note (actually, maybe not the post-it note).

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
"What is your name"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWS8Mg-JWSg

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know, the answer could always just be "Steve". No matter the question.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It depends.

On some websites, you input your own answers when you create the account. For example, upon account creation, they might ask you "What was your first job?" or "What was your favorite car?". The answers you supply are then kept in their database, and these questions are then asked again when you're trying to access your account later, like trying to reset your password, with your response compared to the answer you provided before.

With other types of accounts, typically those involving the government or financial institutions, the answers are pulled from your credit report. These are typically multiple-choice questions. You might be asked questions like "Which of these streets have you been associated with?" or "Which of these banks have you had an account with the longest?", with your response compared to the info from your credit report.

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

If you have a credit freeze in place, you will never pass these online identity checks, as they refer back to the credit bureaus to verify your answers. For creating a Social Security login, I had to unfreeze my credit long enough to complete the process. In the case of the USPS, for "informed email", I had to verify myself, and they offered "in person" identity verification, for which I had to travel to Sun City West to complete. Beats the "unfreezing" process.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ravens1775
posted Hide Post
Security so good, even you can't get in

Posts: 744 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I kept getting one wrong & they weren't budging on it. I found out later it was a street my wife lived on forty years ago. How in hell would I have known that?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I had one the other day where the question was "which of these people have lived in your household" or something like that. I didn't know any of the names, but picked one, and it worked. Cool

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had one the other day where the question was "which of these people have lived in your household" or something like that. I didn't know any of the names, but picked one, and it worked.

Just curious. Were the names Jim, DaHideous, and Shumarra? I had that one.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravens1775:
Security so good, even you can't get in

Had this recently with Capital One setting new hurdles. They require you to enter a phone number to verify identity. Of course, the numbers actually ON the account profile won't work simply by matching those up, they are trying to match the phone number with the service provider and your name.

That's all fine and dandy but my two numbers on the account are Google Voice number and a VZW number paid by employer. So none of them work, no other way to get around with other challenges.

Call, agent on phone is struggling to come up with ANY other solution. While talking I plug in wife's cell with is in her name (it's not a joint Capital One account and they've never seen this number) and it works.

Idiots.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
State Farm is bad about giving multiple choice questions but luckily they also give you the option of getting a temporary security code by text which is the one I use .

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always use "none", "nothing", "nowhere" & "nobody". Why would I want to give real info except to my bank? I also keep an Excel spreadsheet for all passwords, which is now over 200 lines long. Even with all that, I tried to get into my account with AT&T yesterday. AT&T's new & improved security locked me out & i finally gave up. If someone hacks into my AT&T account they are welcome to pay my bill.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post