SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    "Thick cut" bacon is ham.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Thick cut" bacon is ham. Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I had surgery last week (new knee) and spent one night in the hospital. The dietician came around to discuss my next day's meals, and I said "bacon and scrambled eggs" for breakfast. Suspecting the bacon might be on the marginal side (size), I ordered a double order of bacon. Sure enough, next morning I was presented with a nice plate that had 8 slices of bacon on it, and I could see through all 8 slices! Smile They must keep a microtome in the kitchen for food prep.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Not to drift but does anyone else like side meat? It's basically uncured bacon. And it does seem to be better if it's cooked crispy. My grandmother would fry a bunch up and hold it in the oven on low heat. That finished it off perfectly. I can't duplicate what she did.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I had a foreign "roommate" who would eat bacon raw. No BS. She'd put a few in the pan, one in her mouth, few in the pan, one in her mouth. Still gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Bacon is the only part of a pig that should be thin.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Yeah, don't think you can define it by the thickness of the cut. Eek

quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
exactly

Ham is the back leg,

I'm not an idiot, you two. I know what ham actually is. Thanks for failing to absorb the spirit of my post.

Bacon that is cut too thick, is "pork belly," at best. It might as well be any other cut of meat, so that's why I just call it ham.

Without that balance of proper thickness, it doesn't achieve that Bacon quality at which the cut is best served, in strip form, typically as a breakfast food.

Crispy bacon, isn't "crunchy" bacon. Crunchy bacon is burned. Correctly cooked bacon is firm and stands on its own, and melts in your mouth.

Floppy bacon is undercooked, and while not the sin of burned bacon, you're missing out on that melty crispy.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

Limp bacon is for Betas and Soy Boys.

This right here made me LOL!

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8852 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Crispy bacon, isn't "crunchy" bacon. Crunchy bacon is burned. Correctly cooked bacon is firm and stands on its own, and melts in your mouth.

Floppy bacon is undercooked, and while not the sin of burned bacon, you're missing out on that melty crispy.

On this, we agree.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15325 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm a medium to slightly thick bacon person.

Too thin and it tears when I'm pulling a slice off of the stack. Too thick and the meat is too done before the fat part is correct.

I definitely hate burnt. I would rather have it chewy than burnt. But slightly crisp is good.

we have a place called Benton's south of Knoxville that will fill your house with smoke smell when you fry the bacon - good stuff.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
We somehow bred two kids who developed polar opposite preferences. One wanted it right on the cusp of burnt. The other was ok with if floppy, we had to cook it enough so she wouldn't get trichinosis or worms. SWMBO and I (from the two most disparate families ever) both were middle of road - crisp on all parts but not burnt.

Breakfast was a rolling train of completion. Yeah, we coddled our kids with bacon - that's why they're all messed up!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bacon is great, thin, thick dont matter to me, just needs to be crispy without being burnt. Obviously thick bacon will have a "chew", but fat needs to be crispy.

Now, I'm not normally a "sweet" bacon person, but there is a hotel in Anderson, SC that has a maple glazed thick sliced bacon that will change your life!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Properly cooked bacon is moderately stiff. Definitely not wiggly.

Costco's Kirkland Signature brand, thick cut, is outstanding stuff! A three pound package (actually two 1.5 pound packages, joined together), is around ten bucks.

We are never without one in the fridge. Highly recommended.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Thick cut bacon is awesome, thin cut bacon is bacon, so it too is awesome, just slightly less so. 1/8" or so is right around where I want my bacon, but there is no properly cooked bacon I can't enjoy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
I like the Wright brand bacon, as it’s just thick enough to hold together and remain chewy, I cook it at on medium heat for about three minutes each side which crisps up fine for me. Too often time, other brands are too thin when I try to remove them from the package and it tears.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Good grief, y'all. This is easy.

1. Figure out how thick you'd like your slices to be.
2. Go to the meat shop and ask the butcher to please cut you a pound of bacon at that thickness.

Zip, pop, done. Easy, breezy. Nothing to complain about.

Bonus: you get your bacon freshly sliced, and in butcher paper instead of vacuum sealed into some funky plastic envelope.

Or maybe I'm wrong.... Roll Eyes

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

On this, we agree.

As do I.

From my days as a young boy, I remember cooked bacon being more substantial.. not the flimsy, thin and meek sheets of paper I often see these days.

I always buy thick cut.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Time Wounds
All Heels.
Picture of Cope
posted Hide Post
Bacon Freak

Surely you can find something tasty on this site.

----------------------------
Evolve. Revolve. Dissolve.

Posts: 1878 | Location: WNC | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I love bacon! Just like Arc said. Only way to improve on that is one continuous slice. How about that turkey bacon Arc? Big Grin. Just where on a turkey do we find bacon?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Sorry Arc, but I buy smoked bacon slabs and a friend who has a meat slicer cuts them up 1/4" thick for me. Only way to go. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
How about that turkey bacon Arc? Big Grin. Just where on a turkey do we find bacon?

You are dead to me.

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Sorry Arc, but I buy smoked bacon slabs and a friend who has a meat slicer cuts them up 1/4" thick for me. Only way to go. Big Grin

Sorry, at 1/4, you're just in a rush to eat two slices of bacon that aren't cooked properly.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cope:

Bacon Freak

I clicked on the link.

I drooled all over my iPad.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post