SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    People who don't know the difference between a .gif and a .jpg.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

People who don't know the difference between a .gif and a .jpg. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
.jpg

.gif

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tinyman
posted Hide Post
Guess further, .jpg don't move and .gif MOVES -- "wake up, America".

Tinyman

Stupid people are like glo-sticks.
I want to shake the shit out of them
till the light comes on

Posts: 315 | Location: Leeds, Alabama | Registered: August 28, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
GIFs can be animated, but AFAIK don't have to be.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
GIFs can be animated, but AFAIK don't have to be.

Wouldn't a non-animated .gif effectively be a .jpeg, even if not by extension?

To me .gif implies an animated/motion image.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15277 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
.gif was introduced back in the bulletin board days as a way to transfer color images. It started as a lossless still image format and animation was later added. It only supports 256 colors at a time. At the time, that was ok because most video card only supported 256 colors at a time.

.jpg was introduced later, is a still image only format, supports more colors, and lossy compression.

I suspect if you didn't know this, you're a millennial.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I recall there was somewhat of a brouhaha regarding the GIF image format and a patent held by Unisys.

If I recall, that is around the time the PNG format was developed in order to avoid issues.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
.gif was introduced back in the bulletin board days as a way to transfer color images. It started as a lossless still image format and animation was later added. It only supports 256 colors at a time. At the time, that was ok because most video card only supported 256 colors at a time.

.jpg was introduced later, is a still image only format, supports more colors, and lossy compression.

Learned something new (borderline 'millennial' [1986])

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15277 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:

Easy, killer. I'm a Millenial and remember spending a whole afternoon downloading a fake nude of Gillian Anderson off a Compuserve group that was Graphic Interchange Format (.gif) on an IBM 386 running Windows 3.0 circa 1993 or so. My parents bought and set up the computer, and they're boomers. Neither of them would have the faintest clue what a .gif is.

quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Learned something new (borderline 'millennial' [1986])

Nah, I'm borderline "Millennial" (1983). You're smack-dab "Millenial."

The problem is people calling everyone under 40 a fucking Millenial. Three generations getting slopped with the same broad paint brush. About as stupid as people not knowing at this point that .gif implies an animated image and a .jpeg means a still image. Maybe more so, honestly.

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem is people calling everyone under 40 a fucking Millenial. Three generations getting slopped with the same broad paint brush.

^^^^^^
I agree. The term, Millenial has a pejorative connotation as well. There is a wide variation in thinking within EVERY generation.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

as stupid as people not knowing at this point that .gif implies an animated image and a .jpeg means a still image.
I was under the impression that a .jpeg (.jpg) is always still, while a .gif might be either still or animated.

Is that not correct?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Non-animated GIFs are kind of a thing of the past, since this format allows a palette of a maximum of 256 colors. In the past few years, just about every GIF you see is animated.

GIF supports layers. The way an animated GIF works is that the images are layered, with first image in the animation sequence being on top and last being at the end. The animation takes place as each successive layer of the file changes to a transparency, so that you first see layer 0, then layer 1, then 2 and so forth. Ever play with flip books, where you create an animation via flipping through a series of drawings? Animated GIFs do essentially the same thing.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107498 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^
▪▪▪▪

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed to see the other thread locked. I didn't even get to my Julie Newmar Gifs.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Oy.

El Cid should have read this thread before trying to post in that one.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was disappointed to see the other thread locked. I didn't even get to my Julie Newmar Gifs.

^^^^^^^^^^
Post it here. I am not yet sick of GIFs. Getting there.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

Easy, killer. I'm a Millenial and remember spending a whole afternoon downloading a fake nude of Gillian Anderson off a Compuserve group that was Graphic Interchange Format (.gif) on an IBM 386 running Windows 3.0 circa 1993 or so. My parents bought and set up the computer, and they're boomers. Neither of them would have the faintest clue what a .gif is.

I wouldn't call anyone on this board a millennial in the mean spirited derogatory sense. It was meant to a light light hearted ribbing.

Really, I wouldn't expect most people to know the difference between .gif and .jpg and the irony here is that the OP doesn't know the difference and it's his rant. I grew up with this stuff and had a limited social life until college.

Posts: 10912 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^
Post it here. I am not yet sick of GIFs. Getting there.

What fun would that be? The other thread is the perfect arena for all .gifs. But, not everyone pays attention. Hell, people can't seem to keep it together in threads that are years long and hundreds of pages. It's a bit of a let down.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Is it OK to post a .gif in the meme thread?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30644 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Is it OK to post a .gif in the meme thread?
No, it's locktime then.

Similar to Hammer time but not as fun. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post