SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    New Ryan Gosling Movie “First Man” About Neil Armstrong, Omits American Flag Moon Scene
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Ryan Gosling Movie “First Man” About Neil Armstrong, Omits American Flag Moon Scene Login/Join 
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
...If I ever see it I’ll see it for free on Amazon or Netflix. They are admitting to omitting the scene and trying to justify the reasons. They can fuck right off then.

I’ve kept my opinion out the thread in the Lair, save maybe an early post, but since this is a What’s Your Deal thread, I would like to comment the above echoes my sentiment. A shame, as would have eagerly attempted to view it at least once, in theater ruined by “inclusiveness”.

I don’t understand how the left can say Americans can’t take credit for anything our country is is responsible, only the negative, but the entire world can take credit for what a few Americans did.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to see the movie just now.

The film does not skip the space race and does focus on the fact that the mission was a US effort in rivalry with the Russians. It points to the frustrations of being beaten at firsts and the drive to get to the moon as a function of the space race. It's historically accurate.

Spielberg elected to make the movie off the book in a series of snippets and flashbacks and much of it centers on the effect of the death of Armstrong's daughter on his personality and drive.

The film opens with Armstrong on an X-15 flight, and it uses the same perspective repeatedly throughout the film: in an attempt to put the viewer in the cockpit, a shaky camera and a soundtrack that sounds more like creaking beer cans than an aircraft is used in the X-15, Gemini, and Apollo shots, over and over again.

The scene sequences are snapshots and they're vague and disjointed enough that if the viewer didn't know the history of the space program, some of the events wouldn't make sense. The moon landing scene shows the approach to tranquility, and the touchdown, and of course, Armstrong stepping off the pad, and then dwells on him lost in thought overlooking a crater. The scene is a bit too long; I fell asleep at one point. They skip the return trip to earth. A great deal is cut out in order to cover the story arc, which is largely about changes to Armstrong, and his wife.

It's not really a film about the moon landing; that's depicted, but only because it was a significant event in Armstrong's career. In most cases, just enough is shown to flesh out the high points, but no more, and nothing is shown that doesn't move the story forward.

The movie is about 40 minutes too long.

The mechanism for showing the flights bugged me, the shaky blurry scenes that felt more contrived than allowing a realistic feel that the viewer could share as though actually there. If that point of view had just been used once, it would have been fine, but it kept coming back.

The film wasn't bad, but I probably wouldn't see it again.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/11...an-review/index.html

quote:
Speaking of domestic politics, it's hard to think of a more inflated "controversy" than the one that greeted the movie's arrival on the festival circuit, with cries of outrage about the omission of planting the American flag by people who hadn't seen the movie. Suffice it to say American ingenuity, the race against the Soviet Union and, yes, flags, are all over the screen, albeit in a subtle way that keeps the focus squarely on the protagonist and the mission.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12636 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
If CNN disagrees with me then I know I am right.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:
If CNN disagrees with me then I know I am right.

Yeah you are right, they just went there to plant the flag. I guess that’s why that brought back moon rock for the geologists to study, and why we went back again, and again, as well as put a rover on it. If you were really right, we would have never went back. I think we had six manned lunar landings with 12 different astronauts on the moon. So much for that theory.

Posts: 12636 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Dude, the lead actor admitted that they purposely omitted the planting.

I know you think you’re some sort of expert because you pay to see a lot of movies but you aren’t arguing me. You’re arguing the people who made the movie.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I’m not arguing with you, I’M TELLING YOU THE TRUTH. The planted flag was in the final scene. They just didn’t make a big spectacle out of it being planted. The movie is about Neil. If you could be bothered to see the film you’d understand.

I heard this same type of hype and nonsense about Zero Dark Thirty. People were bashing it prior to release saying it was pro-Barry. When in fact it was not. There was a scene of it with Barry on the tv saying “we” don’t use torture. In the scene people were basically rolling their eyes at him. That was a great film also, about our CIA personnel and miliatary taking that teroorist son of a bitch down.

Then I also heard similar outrage about Hostiles related early this year. And it was likewise unfounded.

Plenty of legit things to get upset about in today;s world. This film isn’t one of them.

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
About the flags. They were ordered from the GSA catalog and had no special properties. The sun’s exposure over the years has no doubt faded them to white.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a good reason to go back and stick some fresh flags in the ground. Smile

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
I’m not arguing with you, I’M TELLING YOU THE TRUTH. The planted flag was in the final scene. They just didn’t make a big spectacle out of it being planted. The movie is about Neil. If you could be bothered to see the film you’d understand.

And you're completely missing the point. The planting of the American flag on the moon is one of the most iconic scenes in history and to omit that actual planting is criminal PC bullshit. For cripes sakes, MTV used that scene for years! It's famous worldwide!

It's a flop.

Serves them right.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

And you're completely missing the point. The planting of the American flag on the moon is one of the most iconic scenes in history and to omit that actual planting is criminal PC bullshit. For cripes sakes, MTV used that scene for years! It's famous worldwide!

It's a flop.

Serves them right.

No you are missing the point. The film isn’t about flag planting. It’s about Neil Armstrong, his family, and what he went through in the 1960’s from being a civilian test pilot until he comes back from the moon and is in quarantine. Our country is fully respected in the film. Don’t see it, harp on it, makes me no difference. I saw a film that pays homage to Neil, our brave men, NASA, America, our race with the Soviets, and it was well done. And I saw the flag on the moon and other American flags and insignia. I’m out, all the best.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

It's a flop.

Serves them right.

Serves who right? The film depicts the flag on the moon, and makes numerous references to the US in the space race.

Most posters seem to parroting concerns that are unfounded, and untrue. Without having seen the film, rabbiting on about the flag is really pointless...because Armstrong plants the flag.

The movie is not about the flag. Perhaps that's why it's "First Man" and not "First Flag."

No effort is made in the final presentation to diminish the US or the US landing on the moon, or the flag. None.

It's just not the focus of the movie.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If the outrage over their intentional omission has to be explained to you, it would be pointless to do so. Either you get it, or you don't.

I didn't just fall off of the hay truck. It is blatantly obvious why the assholes in Hollywood would pull such a stunt. To act as if you're oblivious to this is to be obtuse beyond redemption.

You can go see the film multiple times, tell your friends, buy movie memorabilia, whatever you want. And the rest of us- we can ignore this Hollywood horse shit without having the need to explain or justify our position to you or anyone else. See how that works?

What they did was intentional and not subtle, and the producers of this film and the director of this film can go fuck themselves. Choke on dinner, get hit by a bus, whatever. I don't care.

Posts: 107593 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I didn't just fall off of the hay truck. It is blatantly obvious why the assholes in Hollywood would pull such a stunt. To act as if you're oblivious to this is to be obtuse beyond redemption.

For those who think the actual planting of the flag was an insignificant or minor part of the moon landing are seriously mistaken. Someone posted that it was decided only 3 months away, neglecting to mention that the U.S. before it was green lighted, had to basically deal with shit from other countries and the fucking U.N. who all did not want it to happen. Even back then, the flag was controversial with liberals. The idiots thought that we would use the flag as a conquering gesture Roll Eyes , that it would would enable us to own the moon . See, even then, liberals were just as stupid and wacky as today.

The director and star of the movie already tried to rationalize why the moon landing was a globalist wet dream. Again, I don't need to give Hollywood another dime of my money so they can make more of their little movies.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16698 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post