SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    Nephew of sorts is going to ruin his chances at being LEO.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nephew of sorts is going to ruin his chances at being LEO. Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
My GF has a nephew that is a great guy, pro 2A, former army, etc. His Facebook posts are often controversial. He says what he wants and I can see some snowflakes being easily offended. He is scheduled to start police academy in a month or so. He's already passed all the other hurdles, got the job offer, etc.

I mentioned on one of his posts that it was time to ditch social media. His response was something like, fuck that I do what I want. Okay, I tried. Well today he posted asking who has a 3D printer because he wants to basically print a bump stock (or some device that works like one). They are illegal in our state. WTF, gonna lose the job before he gets it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12420 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Bigger mouth than a brain, it seems.

We likely don't need him as a cop with that attitude, so it looks like a win for freedom in my book.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am surprised he got an academy slot. Most background checks these days include social media.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Bigger mouth than a brain, it seems.

We likely don't need him as a cop with that attitude, so it looks like a win for freedom in my book.

I gotta agree. If you don’t know by now to be extremely careful about what you post on social media, then maybe you’re too dim to be trusted as a cop. “Fuck it I do what I want” is NOT a good attitude for someone with a gun, cuffs, and a badge.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
A high % of LE recruits don't make it through the academy because of their attitudes. A hard lesson learned if that's his dream career.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I feel bad. He is really a good guy, heart of gold. Just seems to make bad social media choices. His old posts aren't things that would necessarily keep him from the job, just political stuff that we might say here on the forum. Today was the first one that I was thinking, uh oh, huge mistake. All I did was reply, "illegal in MA". I won't get involved more than that.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12420 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by az4783054:
A high % of LE recruits don't make it through the academy because of their attitudes. A hard lesson learned if that's his dream career.

Yep. Gung-ho Type A loudmouths tend to be drawn towards LE. But being a gung-ho Type A loudmouth also tends to sink quite a few LE careers early on (or beforehand).

He'll either learn and mature (quickly) or he'll find another job.

Posts: 32485 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Facebook has ruined more LE/Military/Fire/EMS careers in the short time that it has been around.

I am glad it was not around when I was growing up, and I never caught/understood the fascination with it.

Heck, even officers that has been on the job for years and years still haven't learn not to post stuff on the site. These are not young guys either some are my age (a newly 48).

It is a shame because there are a ton of people I know that are fighting to get a LE job and a shot at an academy. (Heck I am one of them).

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrapteam666:
Facebook has ruined more LE/Military/Fire/EMS careers in the short time that it has been around.

Have to disagree with that. FB is not unlike a gun, if you use it incorrectly it can hurt you.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR:
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
All I did was reply, "illegal in MA". I won't get involved more than that.

suggestion - perhaps erase your reply to his posting. If the issue comes up at work - you don't want the agency to be able to say - see, even your friends and family knew the rules.

Hopefully he'll take down the post.

Good point. I deleted my comment.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:

...I mentioned on one of his posts that it was time to ditch social media. His response was something like, fuck that I do what I want. Okay, I tried. Well today he posted asking who has a 3D printer because he wants to basically print a bump stock (or some device that works like one). They are illegal in our state. WTF, gonna lose the job before he gets it.

Hopefully he'll like being a Fireman

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8333 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Day one at the academy the very first speaker said anyone lacking common sense should quit that day and find another line of work.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Retired police chief here. I have hired a few guys with that kind of attitude, and I have hired others who grew into that kind of attitude as soon as they occupied a position of some little authority (in their minds, at least).

I also fired a lot of them.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hopefully he'll like being a Fireman

^^^^^^^^
Or maybe a talk show host on alternatve radio.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
This advice comes from the local FOP President (me).... Get rid of social media. You will get fired for your posts.

Courts have already upheld these firings. Not a first amendment issue to them

Sensitive and caring since August 2009

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3809 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Prosecutors even ask about your social media for Giglio and other reasons. Got to play it smart. Most of the time just shut up in social media or get rid of it.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
”Fuck that I do what I want” seems to indicate that a career in law enforcement isn’t really high on his list of wants, which is probably for the best since he’d likely get jammed up before pension time anyway.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
”Fuck that I do what I want” seems to indicate that a career in law enforcement isn’t really high on his list of wants, which is probably for the best since he’d likely get jammed up before pension time anyway.

It strikes me as completely antithetical to the whole idea of the job of enforcing the law. I was raised by, and around cops, so while I haven’t worked the job, I 100% support law enforcement and want the best and brightest, who are willing, to be the ones to do it. This attitude is not one I would like to encounter with a hot-to-trot chickenshit rookie with something to prove, and yeah, I’ve met a couple.

Got good and jammed up one night by a Brevard County Sherriff’s Officer who stopped me for not having a light on my bicycle. I mean screeching brakes, lights, a siren chirp, the spotlight and shouting “STOP!” through the loudspeakers and “show me your hands!” stopped. He had a pin under his nameplate that read “Proudly serving since [the same year]” and this was about the the first week of May. Gung-ho and chickenshit as it gets, wrote me for everything he could, searched me, the whole nine yards. Power-tripping jackass. I hope he’s not wearing a badge anymore.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
My thought is this will be for the best, if he doesn't understand this then he does not need to go into law enforcement.

Let's create a new term:

Social Network Darwinism....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
So I had to look back at what his actual reply was. It wasn't as bad as "fuck that I do what I want." But he did blow off my comment. He is a great nice guy and definitely not some blow hard. This stuff is literally just on social media and it will hurt him at some point. Here is the initial exchange when he posted that he was going to Police Academy...

Me:
Oh and if you are going to be a cop, probably time to delete all social media stuff. Get new accounts with a fake name and just let close friends know and that's all.

Him:
look im a future cop not a pussy jeesh

Me:
Gotta be careful. Easy to lose a job as a public servant with one post that some whiney jerk doesn't like.

These go to eleven.