SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  What's Your Deal!    USAA Insurance
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USAA Insurance Login/Join 
posted
I know this has been discussed before but I just may be at the end of my rope with USAA. A phone call to them tomorrow during business hours to discuss their corporate policies may be my last straw.

I've been a customer since I was under my Dad's policy in 1975. Stayed with them from 78-82 while I was at the CG Academy, and have been with them continuously since then. Cars, house and several motorcycles, all with USAA. I've been banking with them the whole time too, with a very large amount of money in their bank in savings accounts, money market funds and checking accounts. I've had at least 3 mortgages with them, but gave up on that part of their business several years back.

A couple of years ago I wanted to get some umbrella liability insurance. They wouldn't write it themselves because my daughter had been in 2 accidents in the past couple of years, one of which was her fault. The other was not. They tried to pawn me off on some other insurance company and I was flabbergasted and refused to use another company that they would be getting a referral or kickback from. If they wouldn't write it, I'd find it on my own.

Eventually enough time went by and I was able to get an umbrella policy with USAA and I bumped up my auto coverage with them as they required.

A while back I took my Harley motorcycle off the policy because I was basically laid up (long story related in other threads) for almost 3 years and I couldn't ride it. I kept it insured for 2.5 of those years anyway and finally took it off about a year ago. I am finally able to get back on the bike and got it running again, and called to get the bike put back on the policy. They couldn't put the VIN in and the rep couldn't figure out why. Puts me on hold and then comes back and says they don't insure motorcycles in TN. WTF?

Apparently they want to pawn me off to Progressive so they transfer me to Progressive whose phone rep goes on to inform me that they have been doing motorcycle and "toy" insurance for USAA for the last 38 years. Ok, all news to me since I have had 1 Suzuki, 2 Honda street bikes, 2 Honda and 2 Yamaha dirt bikes, a Honda 4 wheeler and the Harley insured with USAA over the past 35+ years and have never spoken to a Progressive employee or ever written them a check.

I told the Progressive agent I would call USAA tomorrow and get some quotes from other companies. I wonder if I will be able to get ahold of anybody at USAA who will listen to why they are going to lose me as a customer for all my other insurance and banking if they keep up this kind of bullshit. It boggles my mind how they can keep up with their add campaigns about their customer base loyalty when they treat their long term customers this way.

I'm about ready to say F Off to USAA. Dammit.

Thanks for listening. Anybody else said enough to USAA? If so, who did you go with and why?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigfan Roy,

Posts: 1127 | Registered: July 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Been there, USAA doesn’t do motorcycles. Never has, never will. But.....they’ll insure private aircraft.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They use someone else for classics. I ultimately went Hagerty for that.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:
Been there, USAA doesn’t do motorcycles. Never has, never will. But.....they’ll insure private aircraft.

USAA insured motorcycles for years. I had several policies with them. They forced me over to progressive about 3 years ago. It has been ok but I feel like my time with USAA may be coming to an end.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3693 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
From 84 to 94 USAA insured my Saber followed by an FJ1200. Called them a couple years ago to inquire about a new VFR800 and was told the same as the OP.

This is in CA.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USAA is a shell of the former great company. I am slowing shedding myself of them. You can pretty easily beat them for almost any product or service now.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JR78:

They insured the very same motorcycle from 2000 when I bought until about a year ago. Now they say they won't. Same state, same bike. Not to mention all the other motorcycles I have ever owned, they were ALL insured with USAA. Its the only insurance company I have ever had. May no longer depending on how the conversation goes tomorrow.

posted Hide Post
USAA stopped insuring motorcycles around 2009, in April 2009 I traded in my BMW K1200S for a K1300S and USAA informed me they no longer insured bikes and tried to pass me off to progressive. Progressive wanted close to 3 grand to insure the new BMW so I ended up going with State Farm. In the past USAA was the best insurance company out there but now they've declined quite a bit in my opinion.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the past USAA was the best insurance company out there but now they've declined quite a bit in my opinion

Still the best, as I have been with them for 50 years (since Jan 1968). I strayed once but went back. Yes, I have noticed a decline since they started hiring executives from the "insurance industry".

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I got moved to Progressive also a few years ago.

The only thing constant is change, need to roll with it.

Compared to larger issues of life, this seems manageable, check around if you don’t want to go with USAA or their auxiliaries. Not saying USAA is the best, cheapest, or hasen't changed over the years.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
My youngest son had USAA insurance for his trucks till I said check Erie Ins. Long story short he saved about $600 a year plus they are a great company to work with. They do everything trucks, cars, RVs, house, and barn. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I checked with USAA for family vehicles, homeowners, and also for the business truck.

I found that their reps are hard to deal with, have "attitude," and their rates are high.

My independent agent, who does not rep USAA, suggested that I get a quote from them (she is more interested in good coverage for me, than she is in her commission. Great agent!).

The USAA quotes did not even come close to the quotes that my agent got for me: Travelers for all vehicles, both family and business, and Security First for homeowners. She also got me a decent quote from Universal, but they had too much "attitude" for my limited patience, so I blew them off.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I dropped USAA after 20 + years. After moving to New England from the Midwest last year, my insurance premiums more than doubled.

USAA's response was basically "tough shit". Wife and I got the exact same coverage levels from Travelers for almost $150 per month less.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Maybe they are finding that expanding the membership base wasn’t the best idea.

Military officers as a group tend to be conservative, responsible full grown adults, far more so than the population generally. That’s why USAA rates could be so eye poppingly low.

Having essentially anyone who knows someone ever in the service has cost them their edge.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last straw with them involved a credit card. Mind you I use their bank, brokerage, and insurance products. Ie everything they sell. My buddy told me about their latest offer, 2.5% back on cc. Great. Better than what they were giving me. I called them and spoke to some moron who assured me I was getting the best that was offered. While talking I went on their website and they had a big banner offering more than I was getting but still less than 2.5%. Long story short I jump a level and get the 2.5% but they also give me incorrect info that causes me to shutdown my backup card thinking I can increase my credit limit on this new card to match what the old one was. Turns out I have to wait 6 months. So now my primary card has a minuscule limit that my wife can hit on a regular basis all because they don’t understand their own product and rules. Which by the way they like to call “regulations” inferring that their policy is based on federal law and they have no choice in the matter.

Needless to say, every one of you old guys, mself included, is deluding yourselves thinking this USAA is the same company I started with 30 years ago. You can beat their rates and service if you want to. It isn’t even that hard.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
One of the members of my church was an adjuster for USAA and while he never said anything straight out I think some of their policies were partly what influenced his decision to retire when he did. Plus he was gone from home a lot (he traveled North and South Carolina) plus once a year he had to fly to somewhere in Texas for an annual meeting.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Called them finally, asked for retention and a supervisor. She said that USAA will only insure motorcycles in 2 states, CA and another, can't remember, and that is because they are required to by those states. Said also that they affiliated with Progressive now. I told her I had no intention of using Progressive and would be shopping for a new insurance carrier and bank. She said she understood but that is just the way it is now.

I moved $100K out of their bank today and will move the rest of my funds with them in the next couple of weeks.

Not sure if I will find better insurance, but its time to take a serious look for another insurer. I hate to do it, but I guess its time.

posted Hide Post
They won’t care until a whole bunch of us do the same. I’m in process of moving brokerage and most of my cash. You won’t have much difficulty getting better insurance rates. Plus, you will get your subscriber savings account theoretically. I always figured they would find a way to screw me out of that though.

Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I've had State Farm for 20+ years. Only 1 claim in that time when my ex crashed her Pilot and no tickets in that entire time. My rate has gone up $150 with this newest renewal so I checked USAA. The USAA quote was $20 higher than the new State Farm quote so I didn't pursue it. The next 2 days I got calls from USAA seeing if I wanted to switch. I told them the quote was higher and no thanks. I will look at other companies to see how their rates compare.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried to buy insurance coverage from USAA several years ago. Told them I served in the Army for 6 years. They said they only insure retirees and their dependents.

Now, they'll insure anyone?

I say fuck en.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post