SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    The spoils of the hunt
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The spoils of the hunt Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'll be there soon as my cornbread comes out of the oven.
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 19 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: December 31, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
So cool! So fun! Such good eats! Please stop post this stuff! I'm so totally jealous! Wink

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EUROFAN:
Looks like a great hunt...and meal. Gainesville isn't "that" far away ya know. Smile

We shot those in Williston Big Grin, Passed through Gainesville to get there?

Thank all you guys for the kind words. For such an ugly animal, there sure are tasty if prepared correctly.

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is my recipe if anyone wants it.

quote:
Originally Posted By Air-cooled:
Wow! Can you tell us your technique for cooking this. I'd like to try it.

Sure.

Ingredients needed:

Chicken broth
Yellow mustard
1/3 cup light brown suger
1/4 cup dark brown suger
1/4 cup Accent
1/4 cup Lawrys Season Salt
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2-3 Tbsp Cumin
1- Tsp salt
1- Tsp ground black pepper
1- Tbsp paprika
1- Tsp dry mustard
1- Tsp chili powder
1- Tsp Cayenne pepper

1. Sit the chicken broth aside.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients
3. Take the yellow mustard and rub the entire piece of meat down with it.
4. Use 3/4 of the dry rub to the coat the entire piece of meat. The yellow mustard will make it stick. Let sit in fridge overnight.

Smoking:

I use an offset smoker with lump charcoal and hickory wood. Put the meat directly on the grill and smoke @ 250 for 3 hours. The meat really does not take much smoke after 3 hours anyway. Pre heat oven to 225. Remove meat from grill, coat with the remaining 1/4 cup of dry rub and place into a baking pan. Add about 1/4” of chicken broth to the baking pan. Cover baking pan tightly with foil and cook @ 225 for 5 hours (time will vary depending on the size of the meat). The meat will be fork tender and the bone will pull away for easy shredding of the pork. The seasonings will mix with the chicken broth and creat a very flavorful juice that is poured back into the pulled pork making it super moist. You will also have the smoke flavor from the smoking process. Enjoy

Posts: 1097 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
Nice hunting!

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks great! Thank you and your family for their service to our great nation.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks tasty

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Now thats living the dream.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Thanks to everyone for your service. Keep shootin' those damn pigs. I had to shoot an attacking javelina a few months ago. It went into the dumpster.

We're doing a pork tenderloin (from a local farm) for dinner tonight. It smells so good but my wife would do me bodily harm if I tasted it to soon.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
That makes my mouth water! Great post!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Maybe not so fabulous after all
posted Hide Post
Wow. I'm so hungry now.

Posts: 127 | Registered: August 31, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How big are they ? Do they reach a point where they aren’t good for smoking ? I keep hearing people say they won’t eat the large ones so am curious re your experience.

Posts: 1702 | Location: Alpharetta, GA | Registered: September 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
That looks outstanding!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by usncorpsman:
Here is my recipe if anyone wants it.

quote:
Originally Posted By Air-cooled:
Wow! Can you tell us your technique for cooking this. I'd like to try it.

Sure.

Ingredients needed:

Chicken broth
Yellow mustard
1/3 cup light brown suger
1/4 cup dark brown suger
1/4 cup Accent
1/4 cup Lawrys Season Salt
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2-3 Tbsp Cumin
1- Tsp salt
1- Tsp ground black pepper
1- Tbsp paprika
1- Tsp dry mustard
1- Tsp chili powder
1- Tsp Cayenne pepper

1. Sit the chicken broth aside.
2. Combine all the dry ingredients
3. Take the yellow mustard and rub the entire piece of meat down with it.
4. Use 3/4 of the dry rub to the coat the entire piece of meat. The yellow mustard will make it stick. Let sit in fridge overnight.

Smoking:

I use an offset smoker with lump charcoal and hickory wood. Put the meat directly on the grill and smoke @ 250 for 3 hours. The meat really does not take much smoke after 3 hours anyway. Pre heat oven to 225. Remove meat from grill, coat with the remaining 1/4 cup of dry rub and place into a baking pan. Add about 1/4” of chicken broth to the baking pan. Cover baking pan tightly with foil and cook @ 225 for 5 hours (time will vary depending on the size of the meat). The meat will be fork tender and the bone will pull away for easy shredding of the pork. The seasonings will mix with the chicken broth and creat a very flavorful juice that is poured back into the pulled pork making it super moist. You will also have the smoke flavor from the smoking process. Enjoy

Consider that stolen, we are going out Sunday night....saw good sign 2 days ago.<<crossed fingers>>

Great family pic!

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I just saw this thread. Outstanding!

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8513 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
That's awesome!

Thanks to your entire family for the service to our nation you all have given and keep giving in the past, present and future!

I hope you enjoy many more family times together I used to do something like that with hog hunting back in the day.

Posts: 1467 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Yum! I'll be there too as soon as the corn bread shows up. Tell them all thx for their service too.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
Well done! I like your style...I'm a firm believer of 'Q with some beans and rice.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry I missed this thread the first time. Everything about that pic is awesome!

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Man that hunt looks awesome.

So, what do you do with the remainder of the meat; how’s the sausage?

And do you prepare the ears, feet and skin?

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post