SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Airgun Picture Thread
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Airgun Picture Thread Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
I don't know if there has ever been one - I didn't search. But I don't recall one. And I know there are some airgun owners who truly love their airguns, so I figured I'd start one. And I thought of it because I used one today to kill another starling and realized just how much I've used my little Benjamin 397. It is my all-time killin'est gun. I keep it beside my desk at work and pop starlings whenever I get a chance, right out the upstairs window. I've killed well over a 1,000 starlings with this little gun since I've had it. And I'm sure I've killed well over a 100 squirrels with it. It's a great gun to take into the woods behind the church to harvest a few tree rats without disturbing the people that live close by. It's way quieter than my Diana RWS 34. And in all the years I've owned it, I've never cleaned the barrel. And it will shoot a single ragged hole at 50 feet, and under at inch at 100 feet.

(BTW, in Virginia starlings are considered a nuisance (invasive) species, can be taken without limit any time of year, and when you kill one you do every other song bird a favor, because they will take over a Chickadee or Bluebird nest. And when I kill one, I just let it lay, because by morning, it has been taken by a neighborhood fox, raccoon or opossum.)

Edit: just got another starling. 2 for today. Edit, again: ended the day with 4

So post up you Funkywinkerbeans, your Dianas, or whatever you have.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I'm a paper puncher.

I belong to a shooting club wherein we compete against other regional air rifle/pistol clubs. We are located in St. Louis MO and our normal competition is against Chicago IL, Peoria IL, Cincinnati OH, Columbus OH,etc.

Here is a photo of my "killing machine". A Feinwerkbau rifle and pistol. Both are fed by compressed air.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

Russian Baikal IZH 46

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Here's my go to critter shooter, an old C9A in 5mm/.20cal

I put a Williams peep on it years ago, and it helped. But last year put on this 2-7 long eye relief scope and makes hitting easy.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
My Anschutz LP@Jr.:

AnschutzLPJr by GaryBF, on Flickr

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
H2oys,

Wow, just wow. I have a great many very nice spring / SSP type guns and you probably have more money in that picture then all my AG's together. Big Grin That is SERIOUS SHOOTING RIGHT THERE.

My problem with going PCP is two fold.

1-The PITA/Ancillary cost of filling.
2-The fact that by going with a higher end target gun, which I would likely do, I would no longer be able to blame my equipment for ANYTHING. Big Grin

Gary BF,
Also a heck of nice setup there.

For both of you guys,
Are these more high end toys or do you compete at any level or have the discipline to eke out what these guns are capable of as part of your fun shooting?

For those unaware,
10m air rifle and air pistol shooting is some of the most difficult, precision shooting period end of story. The folks who do this for real are upset when their HOLES are too big. Not their groups THERE HOLES!! Some of them are like robots, I swear. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Thank you cslinger.

PCP is the way to go. For one, to eek out every edge you have to control your breathing and heart rate. Using a PCP the reloading process is a simple push versus a springloader wherein it requires more physical exertion and hence you can get out of the zone. Refilling PCP is quite easy.
All you need is a scuba tank. And you are correct, there are no excuses when you have high end target guns. The variable is you as they are capable of shooting through the same hole over and over again.

I do compete and have been blessed with a fair amount of natural ability. I would love to have someone work with me so I could take it to the next level. In the meantime a normal rifle score for me is 192-196 out of 200 in a competition.

Here are some of my targets:

Pistol:

Rifle:

Something tells me Garybf is probably an excellent shot as well. Our Club is always looking for new members Gary Smile

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Awesome stuff.

For me, personally, I actually prefer the less serious nature of airgun shooting and enjoy using spring guns with all their recoil, vibration and “personality”.

If I were to ever get into PCPs I would likely skip over the normal stuff in favor of something more target grade mostly because I find pedestrian PCPs rather boring to shoot and I would generally just prefer a firearm in those cases.

Once you get into something like an Air Arms Biathlon and on up I start to get more intrigued simply because of that discipline needed and challenge. It does, however, get more “serious” per say even when shooting for fun.

All in all I doubt I will ever make the move into PCPs because I would dump “real money” into them and I would never come close to living up to their capabilities and a man has to know his limitations. I dunno maybe one day. Wink.......another limitation I am acutely aware of is me having the financial sense of a first year NFL draft in a strip club. Razz

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My meager collection. Nothing here as refined as some of those posted above. That said they still are fun and deliver the goods. Big Grin

Gamo ACCU22 .22
Webley Hawk Mark III .177
Crossman 1300KT Custom Shop .177
Crosman P1322 .22

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
Let me add that PCP cylinders can be refilled by use of a high pressure hand pump, e.g. Hill, which is what I have.

My air pistol was just used for my personal pleasure during the cold weather season. Very low noise, no pollution, short range, excellent accuracy.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GaryBF:
Let me add that PCP cylinders can be refilled by use of a high pressure hand pump, e.g. Hill, which is what I have.

My air pistol was just used for my personal pleasure during the cold weather season. Very low noise, no pollution, short range, excellent accuracy.

You could compete with your Anschutz.

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
My Walther LGU Varmint is a very quiet (has an integral suppressor) under-lever .22 Caliber springer that I've used to shoot ground squirrels with and attempted to take a wild turkey with. Missed the big bird at about 15 yards, because taking a head shot with the bobbing and weaving target is VERY challenging! Maybe next time!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post

My English made Webley & Scott LTD .22 Tempest bought from Dr. Robert Beeman in his store in Santa Rosa, CA in 1989. He personally installed the optional rosewood target grips and the trigger shoe. I purchased several boxes of his pellets and the Beeman marked pellet seater. Since we were the only two in the store at the time I learned a lot about the adult airgun business from the man himself. http://www.beemans.net
This pistol is by far my all-time favorite air gun and has been used to dispatch mass quantities of vermin over the 30 years I’ve owned it.

Posts: 3997 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
CIRCA 2004

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I don't have a ton of "beauty" shots of the airguns but lots of targets. Here are a few pics.

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
cslinger, I am getting to the point of needing to scope most of my guns. I have a Diana RWS Model 34 .177 that I want to scope. Do you have any recommendations for a scope that rifle? I'm not target shooting. It's a fun/starling gun. Mostly within a 100 feet, but some out to and a little past 200 feet. Any experience with Hawke airgun scopes? I was looking at this: https://us.hawkeoptics.com/airmax-4-12x40-amx.html

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have a Hawke scope I am fairly happy with. That said both my Air Arms rifles have decent UTG scopes on them that I quite like.

I’ve never had great eyes but I feel you on the scope thing. I have always enjoyed iron sights in general but scopes are definitely becoming more of a go to for me. Frown

Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

BTW, you have some nice guns. Very nice, indeed.

My Diana RWS 34 .177.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You've got a nice looking stock on that Diana.

I had my Diana out the other day. She does pretty well when my eyes are up to it.

I had a couple other rifles out tonight. Love shooting my air guns.