SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Michigan Deer Opener 2020
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Michigan Deer Opener 2020 Login/Join 
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted
Temps in the 40's, wind 25 mph with gusts to 55 and intermittent rain. You wonder about your judgement sitting in a tree stand and then it starts to thunder.

Opening Day 2020 by Brad Benzing, on Flickr

I watched this deer come out of the swamp behind me about 08:30 and disappear into the standing corn that my stand faces. First time ever in hunting from there that there was standing corn. About 20 minutes later I see the same deer walking back out. Weather was not great so I figured I had better tag at least one deer. Neck shot in and exited just in front of the opposite shoulder. DRT. We can use rifles with straight wall cartridges but I like my faithful twelve gauge with 3" slugs.

Deer numero uno 2020 by Brad Benzing, on Flickr

One hanging, still need one more to fill out the freezer. Back out tonight to see if I can tag another.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Can you take an anterless deer anywhere in Michigan or is it permits by zone?

Gotta have a doe permit here in Maine and they only issue them (by lottery) in certain Management Districts. None in my area which is silly cuz we're overrun by the woods rats.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15203 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
Can you take an anterless deer anywhere in Michigan or is it permits by zone?

Gotta have a doe permit here in Maine and they only issue them (by lottery) in certain Management Districts. None in my area which is silly cuz we're overrun by the woods rats.

Over the counter for private land in southern Michigan, I think you can buy up to 5 tags plus 2 for antlered deer. Some units you can tag any deer with a regular buck tag because....wood rats.

My neighbor who farms behind our house will be happy to have as many gone as we can shoot based on the amount of corn I saw knocked down on the back side of the field.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Glad to see you having fun Brad!

Filling the freezer is just a big bonus! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Nice hunt. Good deer.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post