SIGforum
Unusual Backyard Visitor - Bird Pix

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/8070044584

September 28, 2021, 11:44 AM
PHPaul
Unusual Backyard Visitor - Bird Pix

We fairly often see Herons poking around in the stream and surrounding wetlands, but this guy is right up in the yard by the house.

Don't think I've ever seen that before. He (or she) actually landed on the peak of the roof of my new shop. With the tin roof, that made quite a racket and I stepped outside to see what it was and he was just lifting off and landed in the lower pasture behind the barn.

Edit: Well shit. I was hoping opening an Imgur account would allow me to post pictures directly. Is it just me that can't see them without right-clicking and opening in a separate tab?

Edit 2: Thanks to jhe888 for the tip on linking for message boards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHPaul,

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.
September 28, 2021, 01:15 PM
h2oys
Same for me. All I see is:

But thanks for the info about right clicking and opening in a separate tab. I did not know to do that when this happens.

As to your pic, I am not sure on the bird type.
September 28, 2021, 02:17 PM
PHPaul
It's been hanging around the house/yard all day.

If this keeps up, I'm going to have to name it.

I'll assume feminine gender and name it Charlize T'Heron...

September 28, 2021, 03:18 PM
jhe888
There should be three dots, or some other indication of where to click near the photos on your Imgur page. If you click there, you will get a menu of various share links. Copy the one for bulletin boards, and paste it in your post here.

A handsome great blue heron. Will they stay around Maine all winter? They live here in Houston all year. They make a real prehistoric squawk sometimes. They will eat anything they can catch and swallow - fish, snakes, mice, other birds, you name it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
September 28, 2021, 03:19 PM
Johnny 3eagles
Sand Hill Crane?

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
September 28, 2021, 03:34 PM
PHPaul
jhe888, As far as I know, they'll start moving South when their feeding grounds start icing over. I suspect this one is getting ready for the trip.

September 28, 2021, 06:12 PM
M4Super90
Juvenile great blue heron.

115 + 115 = 230
September 29, 2021, 04:19 AM
Mars_Attacks
With that Great Blue Heron around, you won't have a mouse problem.

Or frogs, lizard, bats, gold fish, bullfrog tadpoles, small turtles, etc.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
September 29, 2021, 05:02 AM
PHPaul
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
With that Great Blue Heron around, you won't have a mouse problem.

Or frogs, lizard, bats, gold fish, bullfrog tadpoles, small turtles, etc.

I'm good with that! Well, except maybe the frogs and I don't think one Heron is going to put much of a dent in the frog population of 20-odd acres of stream and marsh.

I posted that picture in a couple of other places and the hating on Herons came as quite a surprise to me. Pretty much anybody with a stocked pond and especially the Koi aficionados.

September 29, 2021, 08:30 AM
V-Tail
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:

Sand Hill Crane?
I don't think so. We have lots of Sand Hill Cranes here in Florida. They have a red crown and a shorter tail than the bird in Paul's photo.

Our local Sand Hill Cranes are quite bold and unafraid of people. I had to get out of my car and herd some of them out of the way in the Walmart parking lot. They were standing in the aisle and not moving aside for cars.

My neighbor at the complex where we used to have our shop would offer them food. The birds would walk up to him and eat from his hand.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
September 29, 2021, 10:16 AM
Mars_Attacks
Y'all remember this video?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
September 29, 2021, 11:56 AM
soflaac
Thanks for that link Mars. My oldest daughter volunteered for several years at a wildlife rehab center, and fell in love with the owls especially.

She's checking out Monteen's channel now. Cool

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave