SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    My First Rattler Capture-Relocation!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My First Rattler Capture-Relocation! Login/Join 
Picture of pulicords
posted
Last night I captured and relocated my FIRST Western Diamondback rattlesnake! A friend that lives in my community called after her French bulldog discovered the snake on her patio and it buzzed a warning. When I checked the area, I found it hiding under a wicker basket, with just the tail showing. Moving the basket allowed me to use my snake tongs to place it into a secure bucket, followed by a successful release about a mile away.

GREAT experience, with a pretty calm snake that only rattled once as I lifted it up and placed it in the bucket. Once I’d removed the top and tipped the bucket over, the rattler knew right where to go. The brush area shown offers food, shelter, and there's even standing water nearby! It was 3.5-4 feet long and very cooperative. Thanks for the training Phoenix Herpetological Sanctuary!!!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
That’s a very particular set of skills you have there (to paraphrase “Taken”’s Bryan Mills) - well-done!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post

But good work. Can't say I'd be up for that.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15130 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pulli, I've said this a few times in the past-

Buddy, I'll grab a beer with you anywhere indoors, but I aint goin' for a walk in the woods with you! Wink

You have an odd pension for finding stuff that would really hurt!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Neat! Thanks for the post.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
Very cool, glad you released it. Last year my Doodle found one on our patio, I picked it up with kitchen tongs and moved off it our property. It was a Great Basin and quite a bit smaller than yours.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3386 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
Pulli, I've said this a few times in the past-

Buddy, I'll grab a beer with you anywhere indoors, but I aint goin' for a walk in the woods with you! Wink

You have an odd pension for finding stuff that would really hurt!

LOL! Big Grin Thanks! We just have a lot of interesting stuff here in the Sonoran Desert. Yesterday, my wife found a pseudo-scorpion in the house. These harmless arachnids have pincers like true scorpions, but no tail, stinger or venom. I saw one outside earlier in the week. We also see tailless whipscorpions that are similar in that they have neither tails, stingers, or means to inject venom and are also totally harmless to humans and pets.

quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Very cool, glad you released it. Last year my Doodle found one on our patio, I picked it up with kitchen tongs and moved off it our property. It was a Great Basin and quite a bit smaller than yours.

That's a pretty "neo-nat" rattler! Some members of the family are exceptionally beautiful! We have Northern Blacktail rattlesnakes and their coloration is just stunning!

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
No, No, No.

I admire those who are educated enough to appreciate these animals for what they are.

They scare the b'jesus out of me.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
Very cool, glad you released it. Last year my Doodle found one on our patio, I picked it up with kitchen tongs and moved off it our property.

Not even with barbecue tongs???

Yeah... nope. Not even with ten foot tongs.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19570 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Big fat no burger for me. No snakes for me at all. Once I went out in the woods behind my place and sat down on a small log. Looked over and there was a small garter snake curled up not a foot from me. I about had a heart attack in the middle of my panic attack.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Nope. I see one of those on my patio, I'm reaching for my shotgun not my kitchen tongs. My dogs are just too damn curious. Especially the blind one. "Off my property" wouldn't be nearly far enough away.

Posts: 7241 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Good for you, but I don't think I'll be moving to Arizona anytime soon. Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38580 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Wow! Kitchen tongs!

Posts: 5690 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
We just have a lot of interesting stuff here in the Sonoran Desert. Yesterday, my wife found a pseudo-scorpion in the house.

Camel spiders are another "interesting" bug here (might be what you are describing as a pseudo-scorpion. They look dangerous as heck and move very fast. Let my wife spot one and she will beat Usain Bolt to the 100 meter line. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10777 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Rattlers round here get the lead treatment, plain and simple.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19089 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
pulicords, have you ever had one that you relocated return? That would be my concern.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1853 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have more guts than I do. Good for you for relocating the critter instead of destroying it.

Posts: 6836 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
quote:
Originally posted by pulicords:
We just have a lot of interesting stuff here in the Sonoran Desert. Yesterday, my wife found a pseudo-scorpion in the house.

Camel spiders are another "interesting" bug here (might be what you are describing as a pseudo-scorpion. They look dangerous as heck and move very fast. Let my wife spot one and she will beat Usain Bolt to the 100 meter line. Smile

Here’s a pic of a pseudoscorpion. Not the same as a Camel Spider though both are generally harmless arachnids, though Camel spiders have powerful jaws that can deliver a painful pinch. Pseudoscorpions can’t even do that.

fiasconva: I've only relocated this one rattlesnake, but moving them about a mile and a half away from where they were caught virtually guarantees they won't return, but the conditions surrounding the location can and does result in other snakes finding it a good place to visit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pulicords,

posted Hide Post
I've relocated a few rattlesnakes to the great snake fest in the sky.

The good guys, King snake and his kind, I leave alone.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Those sure are pretty. The snakes, that is.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post