SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    S&W 27-2 and Gunleather (and Knife!)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 27-2 and Gunleather (and Knife!) Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
I’m not the original owner of this 3-1/2”-barreled 27-2; far from it, I suspect. It’s been used and carried quite a bit by the looks of it. The pictures don’t reveal much, but the gun has a lot of wear and what I believe are “honest,” hard-won knocks on it.

It came to me with no grips by my choice. The seller had a set of stylish grips that weren’t to my liking. I have some factory targets for this frame and also had a set of Eagle Secret Service stocks. What I would REALLY like would be something from the late Deacon Deacon or Blu Magnum grips; alas, Tedd Adamovich of Blu Magnum has now also passed, so we shall see what becomes of that enterprise.

In the meantime, while not the most aesthetically-pleasing, these Pachmayr Grippers feel quite nice and help keep me shooting true at reasonable speed, drawing from concealment and firing out to 10-ish yards or so.

The gunleather is from one of my more recent favorite makers, Barranti Leather. The holster is their CCR OWB holster. Also shown is a brace of their Triple Deuce 2x2x2 ammo carriers.

I know - speedloaders and even speedstrips would arguably be “better” than reloading two at a time. I practice this way a lot and, frankly…I guess I’m just becoming a Fudd about this haha. I admit, I like not being reliant on a separate device (speedloader, strip, etc.) with this gun and those like it.

Not shown is my sturdy gunbelt from A&G Gunleather. I’m a fan of theirs, too, and rotate several of their belts in my wardrobe. Also not shown is a S&W 642 that almost always accompanies me in a pocket holster - perhaps a separate post on that sometime.

I’ve had the knife a few years. It’s the fixed-blade Pocket Drop model from Kistner Knives, carried handily in their horizontal Kydex sheath.

Wait a minute - Kydex?! Perhaps I’m not quite the Fudd I’ve self-identified as LOL! Big Grin

Anyway, enough blather and on to the pics. It all carries quite nicely together.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6687 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice setup.
Do you carry the ammo carriers on your left side (like the police drop box carriers)?
At what position do you carry the knife?

PC

Posts: 1329 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
Nice setup.
Do you carry the ammo carriers on your left side (like the police drop box carriers)?
At what position do you carry the knife?

PC

Thank you! I carry the ammo at the strong-side front of the belt. If possible I’ll put the pouches side by side; however, with jeans, that impedes reaching the 642 in the pocket holster. In that case, I’ll put the second pouch actually behind the holster. The knife goes weak side front, pointing toward and touching (or almost so) the belt buckle.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Is that the same 27-2 you shot in the postal match a few weeks back? That's just an awesome gun. I'm a big fan of revolvers in the 2.75-3.5" barrel lengths...it's such a practical size for belt carry. And it's even cooler that it's an N-Frame with a short barrel, as you don't see those very often.

I agree the wear gives it some honest character, and just proves that it actually gets used. I'd rather have a gun like that than a spotless safe-queen that I'm afraid to take out of the box!

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Is that the same 27-2 you shot in the postal match a few weeks back? That's just an awesome gun. I'm a big fan of revolvers in the 2.75-3.5" barrel lengths...it's such a practical size for belt carry. And it's even cooler that it's an N-Frame with a short barrel, as you don't see those very often.

I agree the wear gives it some honest character, and just proves that it actually gets used. I'd rather have a gun like that than a spotless safe-queen that I'm afraid to take out of the box!

Hey, man, indeed, this is the same one!

Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
Wow.

I didn't think that Smith & Wesson offered the Model 29 with a 3 1/2" barrel until Lew Horton requested that configuration for an special order (I believe in 1983). And that was a 29-3. That model didn't have a pinned barrel and yours clearly does.

Is it a factory 3 1/2" barreled pistol or was it re-barreled? Also is it a round or square butt?

If round butt I would think a nice pair of combat stocks would look appropriate.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing this!

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Greetings and thank you - no, this one’s all “factory” with the 3-1/2” barrel. It has a square-butt frame.

Just to confirm, though - this one’s a 27-2, not in the 29 family.

Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Recently switched computers, so there's a few images missing, but if I had them they would be a 4" 27-3 and a 5" 27-2.

The 4" came with a 357-44 cylinder for which I have not yet loaded for. I got a new side plate without the 357-44 markings and a 357 cylinder for it. So, it's a convertible of sorts.

S&W put their best foot forward on the 27!

Congrats on the 3.5". Beautiful balance and lines!

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Thank you, and that .357-44 cylinder sounds very cool!

I agree with you re: the 27. I have a 5” 27-2, also, and it’s so much fun to shoot.

Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
Got it! When I saw it I immediately thought Lew Horton 29-3 with the combat stocks. So I erroneously locked my brain into a .44mag mindset. But this makes much more sense. S&W of course made a 3.5" barreled N frame in .357mag in the beautiful 27-2. But not the 29-2.

I have always wanted a 27-2 like yours, but those early short barreled N frames are thin on the ground for the most part.

Thank you for sharing it!

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ No worries and thank you!

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
This is my father-in-law's pre model 27 and the holster he had for it. I don't know who made the holster, but it is very nicely made with a soft and smooth lining. It might have been made in Mexico as he was stationed in Del Rio at Laughlin AFB at that time. Or maybe San Antonio as the nearest big city.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ Oh, wow - both the gun and the holster look great!

Is that a 5-inch barrel?

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
Is that a 5-inch barrel?

Yes. The odd length barrels are the best-looking.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
^^ I agree!

My 5” and 3-1/2” after a range session, lounging for a photo op haha…