SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Air Tractor!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Tractor! Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I was in the basement reloading yesterday when I heard what sounded like aircraft engines outside the house. I let it go the first time, but when it kept happening I went outside and got my own private airshow for about 30 minutes while this guy worked the fields on three sides of us.

Posts: 9179 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am on the second floor,
When I use the bino's ,
I am pretty much looking at him at eye level.

On the north and east side of the apt.'s

Dodging the wires/ poles is where it gets exciting.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55165 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Very common here in central Arkansas. They, in addition to fertilizer, use them to seed for rice. Thrush aircraft are also used

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7270 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AF Special Operations is buying them.

“The aircraft will perform close air support, precision strike, armed intelligence, and surveillance and reconnaissance in austere and permissive environments...”

Complete article:

https://www.twz.com/air/at-802...-light-attack-future

https://802u.com/

Posts: 16002 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was driving between Lubbock & Midland TX.
Had one pop out over the highway & pull a pretty hard 'u-turn' [blanking on the proper aviation term] for his next pass.
Got to see it a couple times before I'd moved along too far to watch.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15967 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are quite common in my area (northwest Ohio) I usually see a 5 gallon bucket strapped to the side of the plane to carry their balls in as I doubt they would fit in a gallon pail. They are a joy to watch and I have just pulled over on numerous occasions to observe. There’s a gal locally that does this also, no 5 gal bucket but if hers would probably be 10 gallon if she had balls. Between the wires and areas of woods, they are just amazing. Only place I’ve ever seen more was in Arkansas…

Posts: 505 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
He was back out again tonight doing the fields on the other side of "town". He wasn't quite as close but I got to watch him while I was walking the dog, which was fun. It's amazing how close they get to the power lines Eek!

Posts: 9179 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those are some awesome pics, thanks for sharing them with us! Big Grin

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2148 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
They are fun to watch. I saw one up in the Texas Panhandle last summer on a driving trip. Spraying peanuts or cotton, probably. Maybe sunflowers.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53235 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Back in 2010 I was ferrying an airplane from California to Alabama and landed at this little airport in Olney Texas. Well damned if it wasn't the home of Air Tractor.

I love watching them work here in North Alabama.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1289 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I spent some time touring their factory in Olney a couple months ago, thought these might be of interest. It's an impressive operation.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The Air Tractor Fire Boss:

Posts: 11590 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of those Fire Bosses crashed a few weeks ago fighting the fires east of Helena. My friend who lives in East Helena said the pilot had just picked-up, stalled-out during the climb, and crashed into a cliff before coming to rest (or at least pieces) in the water. Pilot was a mother from Brazil in her 40s. I watched some Youtube videos shortly after and was impressed by the level of difficulty and tech involved.

There's an air tanker annex at the Hibbing, MN airport and there's usually a few yellow Fire Bosses parked there. Not this summer; it's been wet and the planes are gone to drier climes.

Posts: 799 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Balls! Big balls! Life span, not so much.

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20387 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Andy, thanks for those factory pics that's very cool!

We saw a couple of them fly over the Bighorn Mountains in WY where we were camping the last couple of days, and I first I though it was kinda odd because there's no crops up there, but then I got a closer look and saw the pod underneath. Water bombers, which made sense as the area went under a burn ban while we were there. I imagine they'd work just as well in the capacity. No floats on the ones we saw like in Trapper's photos though.

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I learned to fly at the airport where the Thrush factory is. It was originally Ayers Aviation before Bill Ayers bankrupted it. He was trying to pay the A&P employees minimum wage while complaining about not being able to get good employees.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34381 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post