SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Organic Coffee or Not
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Organic Coffee or Not Login/Join 
Picture of wingspar
posted
I decided to take the spurge and order some organic coffee. First taste impressions were good, but it tasted like any other coffee as time went on. However, first thing I noticed when I opened the bag of organic coffee were smaller beans that looked old and dry. Below in first photo is French Roast. Second photo is Organic Sumatra. I’ve ordered coffee from this place for years, but this was the first time I tried organic coffee. The extra cost of organic was not worth it in my opinion.

For those coffee nerds in the forum, and you rosters particularly, is there a reason the organic coffee beans look old and dry?

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SVTNate
posted Hide Post
I order all of my coffee from Sweet Maria's, and roast with a Gene Cafe. I can't say that I've ever tried roasting organic coffee.

I generally roast City to City +

-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Guns, cars, Cuban cigars

Posts: 2570 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
Good coffee tends to be roasted lighter to preserve the traits of the origin. While you can find good coffee in darker roasts, I imagine it is mostly lower grades of coffee that are roasted dark to mask flaws and give a homogenized product. Some people prefer darker roasts though. Anyway darker roasts express oil much more so than lighter roasts.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underworld2086:
Good coffee tends to be roasted lighter to preserve the traits of the origin. While you can find good coffee in darker roasts, I imagine it is mostly lower grades of coffee that are roasted dark to mask flaws and give a homogenized product. Some people prefer darker roasts though. Anyway darker roasts express oil much more so than lighter roasts.

Both the coffees in my photos are dark roast. I tend to bounce between medium and dark roasts. I’ll try a medium roast next time I order.

---------------
Gary

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wingspar:
quote:

Both the coffees in my photos are dark roast. I tend to bounce between medium and dark roasts. I’ll try a medium roast next time I order.

It could be the length of time that has passed between roasting and use. The longer coffee is left around post roast the more oil accumulates on the bean.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
No way of knowing how long their coffee sits around between roasting and shipping. I just ordered some coffee from another place that I haven’t ordered from in a while. I don’t remember their beans looking oily, but I always thought the oily look meant fresh.

---------------
Gary

posted Hide Post
My business partner and I did a recent podcast on this whole issue... although your beans look different in the two pictures here, I can only say that it's mostly what you can't see that makes all the difference in what's in your beans (and furthermore, how your body processes them).

If you find the knowledge on the subject worth a listen, the Podcast here - https://www.gtcoffeeco.com/pos...vs-non-organic-beans

Posts: 1 | Registered: January 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can someone tell me what I have missed all these years? Coffee beans come from plants, but somehow they are not organic? Did someone find a way to grow the plants without dirt or water?

I have heard about coffee made from beans that had passed through a large mammal's alimentary canal. I hope that doesn't become normal during my lifetime.

For the time being I think I'll stick with my old blue enameled steel campfire coffee pot. A quart of water brought to a rapid boil, add 1/2 cup of Folgers from the can, put the lid on the pot and set it aside for about 5 minutes, then run it through a filter into my stainless steel thermos bottle. I'm good to go for hours with fresh hot coffee.

My wife thinks nothing about waiting in line at Starbucks to get her favorite "grande mocha decaf no whip" for only $5 plus tip. I give her gift cards on her birthday. She doesn't like my coffee very much.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1092 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoboGunLeather:
Can someone tell me what I have missed all these years? Coffee beans come from plants, but somehow they are not organic?

"Organic" in the context of food has a specific meaning: that it was produced without utilizing artificial chemicals like fertilizers, antibiotics, pesticides, or other additives.

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well that would explain Starbucks coffee... Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:

Well that would explain Starbucks Charbucks coffee... Wink

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

Well that would explain Starbucks coffee... Wink

Exactly. Starbucks is generally over-roasted

What did you expect from the organic coffee? I wouldn't expect organic anything to be necessarily better or worse than the non=organic equivalent. I would just expect it to have been grown with less chemicals.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skywag
posted Hide Post
I never buy ANYTHING "organic" if I can help it.

Who wants shriveled up, over-priced, tasteless, junk food?

Posts: 172 | Location: United States | Registered: January 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post