SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 ... 471
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I like that seiko very much.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
The emperor got new clothes.... Smile

Looks FANTASTIC. Wear it in good health. Pickle Rick!

Posts: 2862 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
Slowly expanding my Omega knowledge a bit...

So come to find out, Omega hasn't made Quartz Seamasters for some time...around a decade???

That's kind of a bummer. While an auto would probably make a more suitable/better heirloom piece, I'd prefer a quartz for 'grab & go' convenience while I'm on this side of the daisies (I rotate watches pretty frequently)...

No telling how long Omega will support their quartz watches, but it's probably a finite number shorter than the expected lives of future generations...

I might just scrap the idea of a quartz Seamaster and go to the JSAR...

These are the first world problems that try men's souls Big Grin ...

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Omega tends to support their watches forever. Chances are they would be able to replace the quartz movement with something comparable though this isn't guaranteed. Best thing to do is ask Omega. They will likely answer your question within 24 hours.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
^^IIRC you have to register with Omega on their site to ask them questions...

Would be nice if they just put that in their FAQ section. 'We will support our Quartz watches for XYZ...'

I asked a reputable Omega servicing establishment in my area...they indicated something along those lines...parts available for quite some time in the foreseeable future...but no real guarantees...as I'm guessing Omega uses a proprietary movement, its not like they'd just be able to swap it out with something from another supplier...

Time will tell...

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
You can’t just email them questions?

I find it hard to believe an obscure brand like Doxa would be more accessible and helpful to potential customers than a company like Omega.

A while back I saw something from Omega claiming they will restore all vintage watches to original condition. It was quite a statement. I don’t remember reading if that was only for automatic movements. The quartz movements are not as sought after in the world of Omega. Being under a corporate umbrella that makes lots of quartz movements I would assume it would be replaced with something as close to the original as possible or from their stock of original replacement quartz movements if there are any left.

If they are manufacturing new parts for watches that were discontinued a looooong time ago it stands to reason they could do the same for their quartz movements. It’s a dang good question to ask Omega if they are willing to answer it. I’d love to know the answer myself.

I can do a little digging today. Best thing to do is research the exact movement in the Seamaster you want and work from there. What model are you looking at?

The original (or first) James Bond Seamaster from 1995’s Goldeneye was a quartz. I would hope because of this there would be an emphasis on preserving replacement movements but I’ll have to do some more research.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ok. The Seamaster you are looking at probably has an Omega caliber 1538 Quartz precision movement. The 1538 is based off of the ETA 255.461 movement.

While trying to see if the 1538 is replaceable I came across this.

Cost associated with replacing 1538

The best thing to do is confirm with Omega the price of a replacement movement. That price is crazy for a quartz.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
The guy I was dealing with at my local Omega AD flatly told me that quartz watches would some day be unable to be repaired and would simply become an expensive bracelet. He said they repair every automatic watch they’ve ever made, but the quartz watches have a finite lifespan and won’t be supported forever.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
^^^ This makes sense but it still sucks considering the first ever Bond watch was a quartz movement. I can understand the focus on automatic movements and servicing them indefinitely.

My first instinct was almost to say “why would you even want a quartz Seamaster?” but I think that is an ignorant stance to take toward the Seamaster given its history. It is especially ignorant considering the success Omega has enjoyed because of the partnership with the Bond films that started with one of my favorite Bond films in their franchise history.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Well, I was seriously looking at one for a while. I decided not to spend the money. I may indeed end up liquidating a lot of “stuff” and getting a Seamaster, though. It’s all a question of what I want to leave to my son and what I want to do before I go. I don’t see myself playing a whole lot of guitar, and there’s easily a brand new white dial Seamaster sitting around in all that stuff. I look at my watch many times a day. Can’t say that for my guitars.

In the meantime, I decided to go ahead and scratch an itch. I should have my new Casioak from our incredibly gracious David Truong on Monday, and a watch I’ve been wanting since I missed out on one last spring will be arriving on Tuesday.

Posts: 17059 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Congrats man! That’s a cool watch! I’ve been tempted by a casioak myself but I have too many watches and my quartz watches get neglected too much already.

You guys already know I like LOVE turtles. My latest addition sporting a few enhancements. Having a few 7002’s to practice on really built up my confidence. As long as you have decent tools and lots of patience swapping out a Crystal and hands is not nearly as hard as I thought it would be.

Fully lumed skeletonized hands are sweet. This dial is really something, pics do not do it justice. I might swap out the bezel for a coin edge with a similar silver bezel insert.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I should stop popping into this thread, makes me look around at stuff. The Sinn 104 A St Sa looks pretty nice.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
That dial in stickman's previous post is amazing in person, fellas. I squirmed a bit last week, talking myself out of buying a Samurai with that dial. It's simply gorgeous.

Is that the Ti case you just got, stickman?

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Nah it’s still inbound. The SKX Ti is going to be obnoxiously orange as far as it’s dial. Big Grin

You’re right about the save the ocean manta ray dial. It might actually be the most beautiful dial Seiko has made to date. When you move it the way the dial reflects and catches light is something pics just cannot replicate. It really makes the previous save the ocean blue to black fade dial lose quite a bit of its luster.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428: ...the first ever Bond watch was a quartz movement.

Well, the FIRST Bond watch, in the books by Ian Fleming, was a Rolex Explorer. And the first MOVIE Bond watch was a Rolex Submariner. The movie Bonds wore Rolexes, Gruens, and more Rolexes long before the first Omega appeared.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BrianO,

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
There was also a Tissot and Seiko in the films but the Tissot made it in there as a happy accident courtesy of Roger Moore in Live and Let Die. The first Omega in the films was a quartz in 1995 if you really want to nit pick.

I would think given how good the relationship has been for Omega they would support their first watch to appear on Bonds wrist. (GoldenEye)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
You can’t just email them questions?

"To contact us, simply login."

https://www.omegawatches.com/e...hL2NvbnRhY3QtdXM%2C/

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:

I find it hard to believe an obscure brand like Doxa would be more accessible and helpful to potential customers than a company like Omega.

A while back I saw something from Omega claiming they will restore all vintage watches to original condition. It was quite a statement. I don’t remember reading if that was only for automatic movements. The quartz movements are not as sought after in the world of Omega. Being under a corporate umbrella that makes lots of quartz movements I would assume it would be replaced with something as close to the original as possible or from their stock of original replacement quartz movements if there are any left.

If they are manufacturing new parts for watches that were discontinued a looooong time ago it stands to reason they could do the same for their quartz movements. It’s a dang good question to ask Omega if they are willing to answer it. I’d love to know the answer myself.

I can do a little digging today. Best thing to do is research the exact movement in the Seamaster you want and work from there. What model are you looking at?

The original (or first) James Bond Seamaster from 1995’s Goldeneye was a quartz. I would hope because of this there would be an emphasis on preserving replacement movements but I’ll have to do some more research.

Interesting, to say the least, but I believe P220 Smudge above gave a pretty clear indication.

As such, most are left with a about 3 choices:

A. Get the quartz, enjoy the heck out of it, and hope for the best...maybe 10-20 years best case scenario with factory support...

B. Go Auto, spend more $$, but have a lifetime watch. And forgo the convenience of quartz.

C. Explore other options...

That being said, there will probably be watchmakers that can keep the quartz models going for a loooonnnngggg time, it probably just won't be with OEM/Omega parts.

To each their own, but for me a 'daily wear Omega' isn't really something I'd care for at least at this point in my life/career to keep it running all the time...too many opportunities to wack/damage a multi-thousand dollar watch and give myself a case of the vapors...which is why I wear 'beater' quartz watches. And I don't want to have to constantly reset it all the time...I know, I'm lazy.

So maybe down the road I'll take the plunge...if I start putting aside $20 a month, that should work out just about for when I can retire (yeah, I gotta a ways to go)

JSAR is starting to move up on the list...

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
It's never simple/easy.

Prodigal Son
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428: The first Omega in the films was a quartz in 1995 if you really want to nit pick.

Yep, the Omega Seamaster Quartz Professional, with laser beam and remote detonator.

Posts: 656 | Location: Near Seattle, Washington, USA | Registered: March 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
I should stop popping into this thread, makes me look around at stuff. The Sinn 104 A St Sa looks pretty nice.

Isn't it? When I start thinking about a Seamaster, I also think of the Sinn 104 I with a fine link bracelet and think "I could stop there and be happy."

Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BrianO:
Yep, the Omega Seamaster Quartz Professional, with laser beam and remote detonator.

Now there's a watch I'd sell my others to acquire! Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post