SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    A revival of the Watch thread
Page 1 ... 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 ... 472
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A revival of the Watch thread Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Looks like list via Seiko on the black Presage is just sub-900.
Maybe later, 2nd hand when you tire of it Wink

Wise guy! Razz

God bless America.

Posts: 13491 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This one has been getting a considerable amount of wrist time lately. At 41.5mm it’s sized perfectly in my opinion. In my goal to eventually whittle down my collection to just a dozen or so watches this one would make it into the exclusive “keep it forever” category.

For the Valjoux 7750 faithful it’s about as hot rodded you can get this movement when it comes to adding modern improvements onto a 1970’s design. From an engineering and manufacturing standpoint it is amazing such an old design is not only still relevant but still being improved.

Sort of like the glorious 90° Ducati L twin it’s a design that’s maybe reached the pinnacle of design/ improvement.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Very nice, stick, and great contrast between the hand & dial

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Wow! That Omega is seriously impressive!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
It's like looking at my IWC 3706's kid brother who just got back from Marine boot camp. Same thing, except, no longer the same at all, and now, ready for ANYTHING!

Posts: 11379 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
That IWC 3706 looks nice, but IMO lacks some contrast. Great for a simplistic look, but I think would really pop with the hands in a contrast color other than white.

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
That IWC 3706 looks nice, but IMO lacks some contrast. Great for a simplistic look, but I think would really pop with the hands in a contrast color other than white.

Interesting take. It's actually probably my all-time favorite dial/hands watch. White over black is excellent to me. I also like black over white, ala the 16570 Explorer II.

My problem with the 3706, if any, is the thickness is a tad puff.

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I think it's the white hands over the [white indicied] subdials where the contrast would be nice. Even more so on the white faced model.

That said, the Speedmaster Moonwatch is also white hands over white marked dials, but seems less busy.

Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Okay, without the aid of an internet search engine, let's inject a riddle and see who might have the answer:

A sundial has the fewest moving parts of any timepiece. Which has the most?

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hourglass has the most moving parts ...

If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything. I stand for "We The People ..."

Posts: 259 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: August 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xrocket:
Hourglass has the most moving parts ...

Correct. Well done. Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
One of the most interesting watches in my collection. The in-house movement Christopher Ward C60 Abyss SH21.

Fingers crossed the beautiful skeletonized SH21 movement with its 5 day long power reserve is performing properly when it returns. Christoper Ward’s customer service has been incredibly easy to work with, but understandably the lead time for repairs is 8+ weeks.

February/March of 2023 cannot come soon enough.

I thought I took a pic of the display case back before it went back to the U.K. but apparently I forgot to do that. I’ll post up a case back pick of the “interesting” decorations/ design and aesthetics of the back of a skeletonized SH21 movement.

It has my favorite dial of any watch I own.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21101 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Sold my 1603 "open 6". It's official, I am just not a jubilee bracelet guy.

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
ingers crossed the beautiful skeletonized SH21 movement with its 5 day long power reserve is performing properly when it returns. Christoper Ward’s customer service has been incredibly easy to work with, but understandably the lead time for repairs is 8+ weeks.

Is this the second watch you've sent back to them?

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
P220 Smudge, yes. This is my 2nd watch to go back to CW. But in their defense the first watch case was destroyed by my incompetence so the first time wasn’t Christopher Ward’s fault.

I was not thrilled with my C60’s timekeeping but when the bracelet quick detach spring bar pins bent I shot CW’s customer care an email about the bracelet as well as the barely out of COSC timekeeping and the next day I had a shipping label and email from CW that they would fix both issues free of charge.

rOgue, I don’t know how you do it. That Rolex is so gorgeous. I love that dial!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
But in their defense the first watch case was destroyed by my incompetence so the first time wasn’t Christopher Ward’s fault.

What happened there?

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I got a strapcode bracelet pretty darn stuck on a watch. So badly stuck that I ended up drilling into the bracelet to get access to the spring bar but by that point I had already badly scratched the case in some areas.

I had swapped out the clasp on the strapcode bracelet and accidentally installed the clasp side of the bracelet to the case. The only way to remove the bracelet would be with drilled lugs (this watch of course didn't have drilled lugs. So I had to drill a hole into the back of the bracelet.

It was a painful learning experience although CW replaced a Chronograph case for less than $200 which is incredibly fair considering what nice aftermarket Seiko watch mod cases are selling at.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:...
rOgue, I don’t know how you do it. That Rolex is so gorgeous. I love that dial!

The compression on that last pic doesn't do it justice. Yeah, it was a sort of champagne, and they did it right. The small crisp text of the old days (before Rolex demanded it be able to be read from across a boardroom table) adds to the elegance. Original (somewhat patina-ed) tritium hands too!

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at the pilot watch offerings by IWC and Sinn. Both have attractive chrono features, but the Sinn 206 Arktis II on an "H-Link" bracelet is particularly interesting to me, not just because it's 43mm size fits well, but do to it's 300 meter water resistance. It's beautiful and extremely tough.

ETA: Sinn certainly has a great variety of offerings worthy of closer looks and discussion. My tegimented U1 has become one of my favorites for everyday wear.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post