SIGforum
A revival of the Watch thread

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/6290029643

June 04, 2019, 10:33 PM
stickman428
A revival of the Watch thread
You are right! I found one used in minty condition with all the original papers boxes cards etc and extra straps. I really like this watch!

I’ve been looking at this nice diver that has a little ehhh character.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance
June 05, 2019, 01:19 PM
6guns
^^^ I have that identical watch. Love it!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
June 05, 2019, 01:29 PM
at-home-daddy
I have the Bulova Lunar Pilot (stainless with bracelet) as well...in fact, I'm wearing it today. I love it...design looks great, the SPY is at least as good as quoted, and the face/hands is/are extraordinarily clean and easy to tell the time at just a brief glance (especially for a chrono).
June 05, 2019, 08:22 PM
FN in MT
6guns,

Is your SMP the mechanical movement or quart?

I have one of the quartz SMP's and really like it. Same exact details as yours on my dial.
June 05, 2019, 10:06 PM
6guns
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
6guns,

Is your SMP the mechanical movement or quart?

I have one of the quartz SMP's and really like it. Same exact details as yours on my dial.

Mine's quartz. I enjoy everything about it and with fairly small wrists, it's feels perfect.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
June 06, 2019, 05:06 PM
stickman428
It’s been a VERY good week for watches. I found a high frequency quartz that I really like with a neat history (Bulova Moon Watch), I got a Seiko Mini Turtle PADI version which I LOVE!!! and my local mom and pop jewelry store was willing to give me a lot of movement on price on this baby which had been sitting on their shelves for at least 5 months....I had to scoop it up....the dial sold me. Big Grin

Also no worries about getting it scratched up or adding “character”....it’s already got a little bit. Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 07, 2019, 04:59 AM
r0gue
Very cool! COngrats. I've been more and more tempted by the Seamasters lately.

June 07, 2019, 10:24 AM
jhe888
I need to get my Seamaster Pro to be serviced. I really like that watch.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
June 07, 2019, 10:36 AM
FN in MT
Stickman428,

I fell into my quartz SMP about 15 years back from my local CostCo. They used to sell Omega's. Mine was a return that they had on the shelf for months and months at $800. The previous owner had somehow managed to wear finish off thge bezel as if he had buffed it. It was readily apparent it was damaged and it looked like hell. Otherwise the bracelet was nice, crystal not scratched, etc.

After looking at it 40 times I finally talked the manager into selling it to me for $425 due to the bezel damage.

Sent it back to Omega and the cost to replace the bezel was surprisingly cheap, it was if I recall correctly under a hundred bucks with shipping. Plus they buffed the crystal and bracelet, new battery etc.

That LONG story to tell You bezel replacement may be cheaper than you think.
June 07, 2019, 11:33 AM
stickman428
The guy that sold me the watch said a bezel replacement shouldn’t cost too much. He said around $100 would be his guess.

I’ve thought about sending it back to Omega for a cleaning and a new bezel. I haven’t made up my mind, I sort of like the aged/well worn look it has acquired through years of being worn. Kinda like refinishing a Sig P6. I understand why people do it but I like the wear. I’m leaning towards a new bezel along with a service/cleaning soon. This one is an automatic and as the guy who sold it to me and lots of people on the internet have said it never hurts to do preventative maintenance. Lube and check ups cannot hurt with an automatic. I’m thrilled with its timekeeping by the way.

I like to wear something different every day. Today I’m wearing an homage to my new Seamaster...well the dial at least.(can’t really see in this pic) A Seiko mini Turtle PADI edition.(SRPC41J1) The dial is neat and the overall feel of the watch is great. It feels like the often overlooked/under appreciated 4205-0155 midsize Seiko Diver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 07, 2019, 05:57 PM
vthoky
I've got another Seiko on my Want List right now:

Black dial Samurai, SRPB51K1

Just gotta scare up some coin now....

God bless America.
June 08, 2019, 09:24 PM
stickman428
Those Seiko Samurai watches are very nice. A few months ago I picked up a black ion Save The Ocean Samurai that looks and feels exquisite on the wrist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 09, 2019, 09:37 AM
petr

Loving my Bulova that my wife got me years ago. Quite accurate and fits my wrist well.
June 09, 2019, 10:00 AM
Patrick-SP2022
A question for the watch guys & gals.
Do you use an automatic watch winder to keep your timepiece ready for use or do you just allow it to run down and adjust as needed?

If you do, which one? There is a pretty big range of models and prices.

June 09, 2019, 01:52 PM
r0gue
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
Do you use an automatic watch winder to keep your timepiece ready for use or do you just allow it to run down and adjust as needed?

Orbita is the brand you want. I have one. I really don't tend to use it much. So personally, I let them run down.

June 09, 2019, 07:03 PM
rduckwor
quote:

One of the beautiful aspects of owning a good watch is the manipulation it requires. Sort of like smoking a pipe. You have to fiddle and fart around with it.

That being said, you wouldn't leave your car idling while you aren't using it. Makes no sense to me to do that same with a watch. Wear on the movement is continual while running. If you really don't have to time to give it a few quick winds and set the time, get an iWatch.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.
June 09, 2019, 08:52 PM
Patrick-SP2022
quote:
Orbita is the brand you want. I have one. I really don't tend to use it much. So personally, I let them run down.

Those Orbita winders are pretty pricey. I’ve bought cars for less. Smile

quote:
Wear on the movement is continual while running.

This makes sense to me.

June 09, 2019, 09:06 PM
BrianO
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:...you wouldn't leave your car idling while you aren't using it. Makes no sense to me to do that same with a watch.

If you owned a vintage car, would you park it in the garage and never run it? The oil would gum up and the tires would get out of round. That's like what happens to a watch, but on a shorter time scale, when it's left to wind down.
June 10, 2019, 06:16 AM
r0gue
quote:
Those Orbita winders are pretty pricey. I’ve bought cars for less. Smile

Some are. They make some extremely premium pieces. But you can get one like mine pre-owned (like I did) for $150. The company is in NC IIRC and they stand behind their product with superb customer service.

June 10, 2019, 10:20 AM
stickman428
Omega watch owners, do you recommend sending your watch back to Omega for service work? I was looking at their prices and was a little surprised by the cost of a cleaning/service. ($450-550)

It’s neat that Omega has the option to fully restore your watch back to new condition and provides a two year warranty. It’s expensive though. ($1500)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~