SIGforum
An unexpected honor (to a photo of mine)

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9666031561/m/5860020364

November 10, 2019, 03:52 PM
flashguy
An unexpected honor (to a photo of mine)
I've been a little reluctant to post this, because it might seem like bragging, but decided to go ahead with it.

Thursday, 7 Nov 2019, was the dedication of the Radar Station Veterans Monument at the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio. This monument commemorates the 10s of thousands of military persons who were stationed at little long-range radar sites throughout the world, many of them remote and desolate. It is a vertical slab of granite with text and photos engraved on both sides (no, I don't know how that is done, but they appear clear). Photos of the monument can be seen here:
https://usafrsv.org/
What is the signicance, you wonder? Well, if you look at the right image in the first photo, or at the 3rd image, the photo at top center of the group is one that I took of Mt. Hebo AFS, Oregon in 1963! One of my photos has been immortalized in stone. It was originally taken on Ektachrome ASA 64 size 127 film with a Kodak Baby Brownie Special camera. The slide has been scanned twice, most recently with a Nikon V600 scanner. I'm attaching that scan here so you can see what the monument builder had to work with:
196306dd Ops Area (127-h).jpg by David Casteel, on Flickr

Needless to say, I am greatly honored that one of my photos was selected to be part of this very limited set, and very humbled, too--only one site in each of 23 countries was chosen, and the one for the US happened to be one I had been assigned to, and one of my pictures chosen to represent it. I was informed of this a few months ago, but now it has come to fruition. I wasn't free to attend the dedication ceremony in Ohio, but I hope to see the monument next year when I attend a Reunion in Ohio.

Can one be a little proud and also humble at the same time?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth
November 10, 2019, 04:26 PM
Mars_Attacks
AWESOME!!!!

Congratulations!!!!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.
November 10, 2019, 04:43 PM
nasig
very excellent
November 10, 2019, 05:34 PM
.38supersig
Cool!

November 10, 2019, 05:34 PM
bald1
Congrats! :thumbsup: Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
November 10, 2019, 05:56 PM
jhe888
Nice. Congratulations.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
November 10, 2019, 06:20 PM
flashguy
Thanks, all! It is a great honor.

flashguy

November 10, 2019, 06:22 PM
ersatzknarf
Yes, yes one can indeed!

Congratulations, friend Big Grin

November 10, 2019, 08:28 PM
comet24
That's awesome. Congrats

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac
November 10, 2019, 09:15 PM
lizardman_u
Very cool. Congratulations.

November 10, 2019, 09:40 PM
ensigmatic
Very cool! Congratulations Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
November 10, 2019, 09:51 PM
just1tym
Well done David, and over your many years of taking some great photos, you are to be congratulated for this milestone in your photographic history. Something to be proud of for certain!

Regards, Will G.
November 10, 2019, 11:21 PM
Slippery Pete
Way to go flashguy!

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/
November 11, 2019, 07:55 AM
jandersd
Outstanding! Congratulations

---
Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
November 11, 2019, 08:17 AM
molachi
Very nice
November 11, 2019, 08:19 AM
flashguy
Many thanks to all who have responded. I'm glad the report was well received.

flashguy

November 12, 2019, 05:46 PM
Otto Pilot
Congratulations! That is a fantastic recognition for your work.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon
November 12, 2019, 07:31 PM
OKCGene
Nice Flashguy, congratulations.
November 13, 2019, 12:54 AM
flashguy
I think our monument is the first one placed in a new area opened for the purpose recently. As a result, it may not get as much exposure as those in the initial garden. Hopefully, that will not be the case for too long.

flashguy

November 16, 2019, 05:54 PM
sig229-SAS
How cool is that ! My best friend growing up was station in Germany in the early 60's at a site just like that. I was in France so not to far apart, actually went over on the same day.