SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Alaska!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska! Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
My son and I got a chance to go to Alaska for two weeks at the beginning of this month, and it was absolutely fantastic...a bucket list item that not only lived up to, but surpassed all my expectations. It was also my 49th state...only HI left. But I liked AK so much I may have to go back there (maybe a bunch of times) before I get to that one.

We flew into Anchorage, spent time on the Kenai Peninsula, just off the Glenn Hwy in Glacier View, and also visited Denali National Park. Here are a few photos from the trip.

Overlook above Homer:

An eagle hauling some leftover Salmon bits in Seldovia:

An otter munching on an octopus in Kachemak Bay:

Outside of Seward:

Eagle in Seward:

Moose by the Kenai River:

Matanuska Glacier:

Panorama of Matanuska Glacier and the valley from Lion's Head:

From the top of a mountain above the Matanuska Glacier and River:

Ridgeline at the mountian top:

A flock of sheep on the back side of the mountain:

Denali/Mt. McKinly (by a miracle we actually got to see it!):

Momma bear with 3 cubs in DNP:

Caribou in DNP:

Posts: 8965 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jeriel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing those wonderful pictures!

Posts: 1462 | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is gorgeous. Beautiful pics.

Posts: 6987 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
looks like the weather cooperated for your visit. Yes, great pix too.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19521 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Nice pictures.

Sounds like your experience was similar to mine. I've been through a good bit of the states but Alaska blew me away.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16433 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
Great Photography!
Thanks for sharing.

Posts: 4669 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow you got some great shots.

Posts: 3620 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
looks like the weather cooperated for your visit.

Yeah, we had great weather. It only really rained twice, and both of those days we were travelling, so we missed out on views from the road, but at least we didn't have to be out in it. Bugs weren't bad either.

quote:
Sounds like your experience was similar to mine. I've been through a good bit of the states but Alaska blew me away.

It's the complete package. There were areas that reminded me of some of my favorite places like Michigan's Upper Peninsula (Boreal Forest, Coastline, etc) or the Bighorn Mountains in Wyoming...but Alaska just takes it to the next level and adds ocean and glaciers and wildlife at a level that I've never seen anywhere else. It was an awesome experience and I can't wait to go back!

Posts: 8965 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photos! What a great state Alaska is!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 39013 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LMLarsen
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Someday…

Posts: 273 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
You definitely got lucky with the weather. This summer has really sucked all 3 or 4 days of it we've had...

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11838 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
You definitely got lucky with the weather. This summer has really sucked all 3 or 4 days of it we've had...

We were told that multiple times while we were there, and I won't apologize...I take what I can get Big Grin. We did get to see some rain, so I can definitely understand how it can get gloomy, but I was grateful for the great weather that we did have.

quote:
Someday…

I have been looking for a way to get up there for at least 20 years, and I'll say it was totally worth it. Do it. You won't regret it. Now I want to drive it!

posted Hide Post
We just got back from a 10 day cruise through Alaska, what an amazing trip and wow great pics

Posts: 11 | Location: Ashland Ohio | Registered: February 04, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tubbed:
We just got back from a 10 day cruise through Alaska, what an amazing trip and wow great pics

Nice! If you've got any photos you'd be willing to share, I'd love to see them! My wife's aunt and uncle spent a summer in southern Alaska working at a resort affiliated with one of the cruise lines, and that area looks absolutely amazing.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
OK did you hike up that mountain or were you air lifted on a Huey LOL

Posts: 23954 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
OK did you hike up that mountain or were you air lifted on a Huey LOL

Believe me, if that had been an option I'd have been all over it Big Grin! We definitely hiked it, and the pain was real, lol. It was over a month ago and I still have a bruise under the big toenail on my left foot from jamming my toes into the front of my shoes all the way down!

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Excellent pics! We’ve not visited Alaska yet, but these shots make me want to go!

My late aunt was a consummate RV-traveler and drove the Alaskan Highway at least once that I remember her talking about, maybe twice. She lived in a beautiful state herself (Colorado) but was thoroughly impressed with what she saw in Alaska.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6720 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
She lived in a beautiful state herself (Colorado) but was thoroughly impressed with what she saw in Alaska.

I love the West. Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Utah...all beautiful. Alaska was somehow different, though...more remote, less developed. There was much more of an attitude of self-reliance than I've ever experienced anywhere else. I've had small tastes of that in areas of the western lower 48, but AK just takes it to a new level (at least once you got out of the city).

The people I got to work with up there were awesome. My kind of people. If it breaks, they fix it. If they can't buy it or get it where they need it, they just make it themselves on-site. They find ways of getting stuff done, and there aren't any safety-karens around to criticize how they did it, either.

drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Beautiful state.. Had a personal saying while there...."to hell with the lower "48 states".. and "if the Good Lord was to take a vacation that Alaska would be the destination But not inside any city limit boundries"..................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2058 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Glad you got to spend a fair amount of time there. Been up there a dozen times or more. It never gets old.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10953 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post