SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    some old bills that came down through the decades to my kids.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

some old bills that came down through the decades to my kids. Login/Join 
posted
My Grandfather was in the army air core towards the end of the european portion of WWII. These were a few of the bills he brought back.

Well most of them. This was in the pile, as best I can figure it is from 1984...

This also is a bit out of date, 1969 if i read the side inscription correctly.

Most of the period correct stuff to follow.
Funfzig Mark from 1914

Zwanzig Mark notes from 1944

Zwei Rentenmark from 1937

Eine Rentenmark Same era

Eine Mark 1944

Funf Mark 1944

Zehn Mark 1944

20 Francs

10 Francs 1944

10 Francs 1940

1940 Japanese Peso (JIM) from the Philippines

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Cool to see those, thanks. Surprised the war era Mark bills don't have a Swastika on them. I had a silver 5 Mark coin with a Swastika on it, my room mate in GE stole it, spent it and I beat his ass with the unspoken permission of the 1SG

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Cool collection! Thanks for posting.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Very cool, thanks for sharing those!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cxm
posted Hide Post
Most of the mark notes (1944 date) are 'occupation' money, printed by the Allies prior to the occupation of Germany... thus the 1944 dates.

FWIW

CHuck

Hoist on High the Bonny Blue Flag that Bears the Single Star!!!

Certified SIG Armorer
Certified Glock Armorer

Posts: 1348 | Location: Florida, CSA | Registered: September 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Cool to see those, thanks. Surprised the war era Mark bills don't have a Swastika on them. I had a silver 5 Mark coin with a Swastika on it

Those aren't German Government notes. It's "occupation currency" printed by the Allies for use in Allied-occupied areas of Germany.

Note the "Alliierte Militärbehörde" markings on the notes. This is German for "Allied Military Authority".

The Allies printed occupation currency like that in five local currencies: German Marks, French Francs, Italian Lira, Japanese Yen, and Austrian Schillings.

(That 1943 "Japanese Peso" note is the same concept, from the other side. It was printed by the Japanese for use during their occupation of the Philippines.)

Actual German Reichsmark notes from that period did have swastikas:

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is Verdi (the composer) on the 1000 lira note.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post