SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    SIG P226 Ivory Grips
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
SIG P226 Ivory Grips Login/Join 
Member
posted
I have always thought it would be neat to have a set of ivory grips for a P226 pistol. But over the years, have seen none out there. Are somewhat common on say 1911's or Colt SAA's, even with the new ones using Mammoth Ivory.

Well, I have been working making these since Dec 2022, but planning and acquiring material for over a year. Finally got them completed. A nice set of 2-piece Mammoth Ivory grips for my classic 1986 Swiss proofed SIG P226, in true German factory electroless nickel. Was a challenge, especially using only hand tools. A very laborious and tedious process to say the least, but turned out better than expected. Have only seen grips like this on the SIG P210 50th Jubilee and Swiss Confederation 700th Year (learned though that these are actually Galalith plastic on the 700th year one) pistols.







 
Posts: 18 | Location: Elgin, Texas | Registered: July 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
They're stunning!





He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
 
Posts: 39692 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of hi-power man
posted Hide Post
excellent - great work


* * * * * * *
High capacity is not an acceptable substitute for good marksmanship.
 
Posts: 863 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
You did a fine job on these. First, I too have ever seen. Your P226 is Nickle? It looks blued in your photos. I was privey to handle a 1 1/2 foot length of ivory tusk owned by a friend. Such a hefty and dense material. A sliver was taken from its wide end and engraved into a grip cap for a custom stocked Mauser rifle.
 
Posts: 17874 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
That is impressive! Well done!
 
Posts: 129 | Location: GA | Registered: April 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Exceedingly beautiful! The pleasure is in accomplishing the process as well as the completed work, is it not?
 
Posts: 502 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU! Yes it is!

quote:
Originally posted by clipper1:
Exceedingly beautiful! The pleasure is in accomplishing the process as well as the completed work, is it not?
 
Posts: 18 | Location: Elgin, Texas | Registered: July 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thank You! Yes the fossil mammoth ivory is dense (like that of any pre-ban ivory). And that is a electroless nickel finish, not blued, from 1986. Have done some ivory inlays in the past (legally acquired pre-ban ivory), and then some small scrimshaw, but I am not expert on that, just to use on personal things.

quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
You did a fine job on these. First, I too have ever seen. Your P226 is Nickle? It looks blued in your photos. I was privey to handle a 1 1/2 foot length of ivory tusk owned by a friend. Such a hefty and dense material. A sliver was taken from its wide end and engraved into a grip cap for a custom stocked Mauser rifle.
 
Posts: 18 | Location: Elgin, Texas | Registered: July 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Wow. That is incredible. Nice work!!


______________________________________________
Carthago delenda est
 
Posts: 16976 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Fantastic job! This thread deserves to be over the Pistols section, imo.

About the gun, it got no country of origin marking but shows both German and Swiss proof marks. Based on serial number, the gun would have been made in 1986 and proofed in Germany (West, of course). It eventually ended up in Switzerland and was proofed again in that country.

You know who imported your gun? Obviously, not SIG Tysons Corner. No import mark anywhere that's visible. Or, is it a private bring back?


Q






 
Posts: 25969 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thank You! debated on where to put this, and just went with the Gallery section. This pistol is listed in the serial number listing, when I submitted back after acquiring in 2021, JG date code present. There is very discrete import markings, on front face of slide - Historic Investments in Iowa. It is a commercial version, found in a small shop in Switzerland.



quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Fantastic job! This thread deserves to be over the Pistols section, imo.

About the gun, it got no country of origin marking but shows both German and Swiss proof marks. Based on serial number, the gun would have been made in 1986 and proofed in Germany (West, of course). It eventually ended up in Switzerland and was proofed again in that country.

You know who imported your gun? Obviously, not SIG Tysons Corner. No import mark anywhere that's visible. Or, is it a private bring back?
 
Posts: 18 | Location: Elgin, Texas | Registered: July 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Historic Investments is a registered member on here, although I suspect they just signed up a few years ago to let us know what they were selling, because they haven't really participated in anything else.


Q






 
Posts: 25969 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Being nickle finish, it needs those rails lubed properly. Can you post a pic of its import mark? I have never seen this importer or, a import mark on the front face of a slide. Thank you.
 
Posts: 17874 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Here you go sir! HI, LLC IA


[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53045611478_6c8ba6b571_k.jpg[IMG]
ImportMark by Dudley Primeaux, on Flickr


quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Being nickle finish, it needs those rails lubed properly. Can you post a pic of its import mark? I have never seen this importer or, a import mark on the front face of a slide. Thank you.
 
Posts: 18 | Location: Elgin, Texas | Registered: July 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you for adding that photo. First I have seen marked like this.
 
Posts: 17874 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    SIG P226 Ivory Grips

© SIGforum 2024