SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    what bird is this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what bird is this? Login/Join 
Picture of FALna45
posted
i know there are many knowledgeable birders here...
is this a Peregrine perched on my car?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yeah, i can teach you how to read the book of life...
or you can just look at the pictures if you like

Posts: 235 | Location: SE MI | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Looks like it could be a Coopers Hawk.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FALna45
posted Hide Post
that's kinda what i thought from googling too but i know we have Peregrines around and had never even heard of the Coopers.

wish i didn't have to take those pics thru 2 panes of glass

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
yeah, i can teach you how to read the book of life...
or you can just look at the pictures if you like

Posts: 235 | Location: SE MI | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Looks like cooper's to me. peregrines are much darker in color.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Yep, a Coopers Hawk.

Here's one that visited a neighbor a while ago.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
cooper's hawks are very good at taking birds on the wing. i have hunted bobwhite quail in NE KS and have had those bold Coopers' shadow us...until a bevy flush...poof...they are faster than me!

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
You can tell he's an accipiter by the long middle talon. So, definitely a Coopers Hawk.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Immature Coopers Hawk identifiable by plumage and eye color.

Posts: 691 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post