SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Century-old 15 ton railroad jack
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Century-old 15 ton railroad jack Login/Join 
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted
Here's something you do not see too often. A Duff-Norton X3530 No. 517 15 ton railroad jack. It came out of a basement in South Philly. I'm guessing it is c.1910 - 1950.

45 pounds. Unsure what parts are cast iron and what are steel. Value $200-$400. I'll sell or trade it within the decade but for now it is in the corner of the kitchen.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Way cool!
Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Woodman, you have cool and unique stuff!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Smile I've heard my jumble of junk described otherwise Wink

Out of the same basement a 20.4 pound 6' Bicknell pry bar rollmarked BELL SYSTEMS. And this neat jointer (page from 1938 catalogue attached)

Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
That would be fun to restore.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The 1939 catalogue lists the #517 at 40 lbs. but mine is 45 lbs. That may mean pre-1939 ... It's got the same curved integral handle; later models have a bolt-on handle. I'll leave restoration to others; I've seen some detracting jobs and am sure my efforts would likewise diminish value. But it jacks smoothly and has no cracks.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Throw that jack in the car, use it to change tires.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing one very similar to that at my grandfather's farm. It was used to jack up the tractor axle if he had to remove the wheel to change that big rear tire. He had a '48 model Allis Chalmers. That was a looong time ago.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: fiasconva,

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1857 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Duff-Norton is still making jacks.

Posts: 1957 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post