SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Gallery    Tried out some airport street photography
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tried out some airport street photography Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
This is a new one for me, trying to get candids of people going through everyday life. I had seen a few youtube videos on it and I really wanted to try it out. Combining it with my love of the airport/airliners I decided to give it a try. It's not easy, especially not in an airport and especially not in Boston. I tried to be as casual as possible and not gain the attention of officials, even though I had a photo pass (Which is technically just for plane spotting). I tried to keep the photos small to avoid flooding the page.

While taking the photo of the trooper helping the woman figure out how to get her boarding pass, I saw this gentleman looking around at the floor and finally trying to get something off the escalator. It wound up being his ticket for the parking garage, which he had been looking for for a good amount of time. He caught it right before it got sucked into the escalator and saving himself the full day's fee.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
That’s cool.
I’ve tried a bit of that in my small town, and now that the visitors are flooding in, I should get back at it.

But a pass is required to take photos there—?

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47655 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Just curious if you got their permission?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want people I don't know taking my picture. Heck, I don't want people I do know taking my picture. Big Grin

Posts: 20538 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I do not travel any more, but the pictures made me wonder, does anyone actually carry a suitcase nowadays?

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10873 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
But a pass is required to take photos there—?

For plane spotting it is, I think it's mostly so if someone calls the police because they see someone on a parking garage with a large camera the state police can just go "yeah, we know they're there".

It's a little overkill but... welcome to Massachusetts.

quote:
I do not travel any more, but the pictures made me wonder, does anyone actually carry a suitcase nowadays?

I know every suitcase I own except for one pelican has wheels and a handle. I don't think very many are made without wheels.

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ryan81986:
For plane spotting it is ....

Interesting, thanks.

The US Capitol has/had a requirement to get a permit to use a tripod on the grounds. I suppose that made some sense so that a public event wouldn’t be overrun with big, bulky tripods and the inconvenience they can cause. After learning about the requirement I duly got a permit, and one early Sunday morning as I was shooting some closeups and we were about the only two people in sight, a Capitol police officer asked me if I had a permit, so it definitely was a thing.

On the other hand, restricting photographs at an airport? “[W]elcome to Massachusetts,” probably says it all. I mean, what’s the use of being able to make rules if we don’t make some?

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47655 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really interesting, I dont take pics but love to just watch people in a NON creepy way :P:

Posts: 11 | Location: Ashland Ohio | Registered: February 04, 2023Reply With QuoteReport This Post