SIGforum
5.56 Tracer Recipe?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/9450004024

March 03, 2017, 10:55 AM
Newf
5.56 Tracer Recipe?
Looking for a good 5.56 tracer handload recipe (pulled 63gn M856 bullets). These will be through a Tavor so it's 1:7 twist should be able to stablizle the relatively longer/heavier round.

March 03, 2017, 02:56 PM
exx1976
If it were me, I'd start with the starting load data for a 77SMK, since the tracers are longer than a regular bullet of the same weight.

BUT - this is just a guess, and I'm not responsible, yata yata. But that's what I'd do.
March 03, 2017, 04:35 PM
45 Cal
My question is why,unless you are planning to burn up the shooting range or near by woods
March 03, 2017, 04:40 PM
Newf
quote:
Originally posted by exx1976:
If it were me, I'd start with the starting load data for a 77SMK, since the tracers are longer than a regular bullet of the same weight.

BUT - this is just a guess, and I'm not responsible, yata yata. But that's what I'd do.

Good idea, thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
My question is why,unless you are planning to burn up the shooting range or near by woods

We have a rocky (lol) range that allows it. Plus, like Mt. Everest, they're there Smile .

March 04, 2017, 05:58 AM
sourdough44
As posted above, I would reference data from a loading of the same bullet weight or slightly heavier. If the bullet had a longer bearing surface that may have to be taken into account.

Just don't go right near any max. You may want to load test batches if looking for reliable cycling in an AR.