SIGforum
RCBS Reloader Special Press, missing parts

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/9300003684

October 28, 2021, 10:58 PM
OKCGene
RCBS Reloader Special Press, missing parts
I have a friend who is wanting to get into reloading. I'm certainly no expert but I'll help with what I can.

Is a Reloader Special a good press? He found one locally that seems to be in good shape, but it does need to be disassembled, thoroughly cleaned and lubed.

Just noticed there is no bushing at the top to put the dies in, it seems you screw the dies directly into the press. That location has an 80 stamped in it, I assume that means a 1980 year manufacturer.

It is missing the part the primer tubes mount to. Not the one the priming arm reaches into and grabs a primer, it's the part that mounts up at the top corner of press, near where the Die is. This needs to be purchased, or else prime off the press. There is no primer cup catch thing, but it looks like there are tons of readily available options on ebay for that, and they're cheap enough.

Any thoughts ideas or suggestions? It's hard to find new in stock and ready to ship, and gosh they're expensive, he'd rather spend money on the other things needed, if this Reloader Special is up to doing a good job.

Thanks!
October 29, 2021, 05:02 AM
sourdough44
The ‘reloader special’ gets lower reviews than the ‘rock chucker’ press. Seems to be more aluminum in the press. I see mention of it being better for handgun & smaller rifle, mechanics & press strength the listed reasoning.

With an odd part it two, eBay or the RCBS help line should work. One can easily prime off the press with a hand tool.

I see the Rock Chucker & Redding T-7 in stock at Midway, new & complete. One surely wouldn’t go wrong with either.

https://www.midwayusa.com/relo...r?sortBy=4&cid=23847

I’d evaluate the perceived savings over time, older press, lower reviews, missing some key parts? Not trying to sway, just saying.
October 29, 2021, 07:14 AM
45 Cal
For git about using that priming thingy on the press.
It is a pain in the ass.
Use the lee hand primer press,it uses the thumb to seat primers and is really fast.I started out using that setup you described back in the sixties.You are better off doing hundred at a time than one at a time.
October 29, 2021, 07:16 AM
45 Cal
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
For git about using that priming thingy on the press.
It is a pain in the ass.
Use the lee hand primer press,it uses the thumb to seat primers and is really fast.I started out using that setup you described back in the sixties.You are better off doing hundred at a time than one at a time.

That loading gate is still mounted on the RCBS and another draw back is it only hold ten primers