SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What’s causing carbon smudges on my brass?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s causing carbon smudges on my brass? Login/Join 
posted
I have reloaded all my own for over 50 years. Only recently (because of very high cost of 380 ACP) and my increased use I have been reloading 380 ACP ammo. I never incurred black carbon smudges the likes of which I’ve been getting with these 380 fired cases.

I’m using TightGroup powder which I have been using for years, and never gotten blackened cases on the 9mm, or 38 rounds that I’ve loaded in the past.

Any idea what’s causing this?

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Light pressure loads where the brass isn't expanding enough to completely fill the chamber so the gasses are coming back down the side of the case.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply ………….sounds completely logical, but my load is near max. I guess I could bump it up a bit.

Oops! I just looked my load of 2.8 gr. TiteGroup is max for 100 gr. Jacketed bullet.

Posts: 393 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
If max is 2.8, what were you using?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Flash-LB is right on the money. I'm always a little shy of going too hot with Titegroup as it doesn't take much to go over pressure, and that powder does tend to leave a very sooty residue on the brass if you don't get a complete case seal. I still use it in certain low-volume applications (.32 ACP in particular), but I've moved away from it for most. I don't load .380, but with it's small case capacity I do think Titegroup could be a workable choice if you can find the right load for your gun.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Flash-LB is right on the money. I'm always a little shy of going too hot with Titegroup as it doesn't take much to go over pressure, and that powder does tend to leave a very sooty residue on the brass if you don't get a complete case seal. I still use it in certain low-volume applications (.32 ACP in particular), but I've moved away from it for most. I don't load .380, but with it's small case capacity I do think Titegroup could be a workable choice if you can find the right load for your gun.

I'm with you. I like something a little slower for the smaller case stuff like .380

posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with Red Dot powder in 380 cases.....just a thought.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Hodgdon Universal in .380. A bit slower than TiteGroup.

PC

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PCWyoming,

Posts: 1329 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I use Unique in .380

It's slow enough to pretty much fill the case to the bullet seat line.

posted Hide Post
I cooked up 100 rounds ^^^ of Unique today and I’ll try them out this week at the range. I’ll report back if I get good results

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Love me some Unique. I'm honestly starting to wonder why I mess with anything else anymore for handguns. It works in just about anything I load, burns consistently, meters well, supports mild to pretty stout loadings (not case-fill sensitive), and is reasonably clean. I've even been using it in some cast-bullet loadings for some of my mil-surp rifles lately with great results. It works in everything from .32 S&W Long to .45-70!

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stroonz:
I cooked up 100 rounds ^^^ of Unique today and I’ll try them out this week at the range. I’ll report back if I get good results

My wife’s 380 leaves smudges with Unique.

I really don’t worry, I’m gonna clean it anyway.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

My thought too. Is this an issue?

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8752 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

My thought too. Is this an issue?

Nope, it's not an issue at all. It won't hurt anything.

posted Hide Post
I realize that and I’m really not worried about it it’s just that I’ve been reloading since 1972 and can’t recall any of my reload cases looking that carboned up.
I loaded some more rounds and added a bit more crimp and ended up having two light strikes which was probably caused by the crimp because when I did the clunk test the rounds were seated deeper into the barrel.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stroonz:
I realize that and I’m really not worried about it it’s just that I’ve been reloading since 1972 and can’t recall any of my reload cases looking that carboned up.
I loaded some more rounds and added a bit more crimp and ended up having two light strikes which was probably caused by the crimp because when I did the clunk test the rounds were seated deeper into the barrel.

The .380 headspaces on the case mouth, so you changed headspace when you crimped more. All you need is a light taper crimp on these little guys, just enough to iron out the small amount you opened up for charging the case.