SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Primer pricing and availability?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Primer pricing and availability? Login/Join 
posted
So where have you seen small pistol primers popping up and what kind of prices have you seen?

I saw a previous post about Brownells
$84.99 plus shipping and Hazmat.

Is this where the pricing is at?

When you can find them?

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sounds about right. They've been popping up every now and then locally, but they're going for about $10/sleeve, so $100/1000. By the time you pay haz-mat and shipping, you'll be right about there.

I got a box of LPP from Midway a while back, and it seemed like a pretty decent price (these days) at $75, but they only let me buy 1000, so the haz-mat and shipping kinda ruined the deal. Would have been decent if I could have spread it over 5000.

Where are you at in Indiana? Tomlinson's in Churrubusco has had some primers in stock on and off over the past few months, but I was just there this afternoon and they didn't have any.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in South Bend

I have not been shooting much for the last year due to a couple of surgeries

Things are healing up and it's way past time to start practicing and shooting some matches again,

I have some inventory

But have heard primers are hard to get, and was wondering what I am going to have to keep an eye open for.

RC

Posts: 1938 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
I am in South Bend

I have not been shooting much for the last year due to a couple of surgeries

Things are healing up and it's way past time to start practicing and shooting some matches again,

I have some inventory

But have heard primers are hard to get, and was wondering what I am going to have to keep an eye open for.

Yeah, if you see them, buy them. And be prepared to pay about 3x what we used to. Just out of curiosity, where do you shop for reloading supplies up that way? I'm about an hour south of you, but I do get up to South Bend sometimes and the only gun store I'm familiar with is Midwest Gun Exchange in Mishawaka, and they don't carry reloading stuff.

Posts: 8419 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Back when there was availability

A lot of my reloading supplies had been bulk group purchases, put together with my shooting buds.

Locally our shops shelves have been bare, some have even stopped selling reloading supplies.

True Value in Plymouth was starting to try and bring some stuff in

Here are a few others who may still get some stuff on occasion

Back Forty Sporting Clays Bourbon used to be a good spot for my VV 320 powder and Tite Group also primers and other powders, not many other reloading supplies, mostly to keep his shotgun shooters going. I did start buying Clays from him for my .38 reloads when VV 320 was hard to get.

Lens Guns / Reloading South Bend- he might ask for a drivers license and not sell out of St Joe County

KEMPF in Michigan City

La Fem in South Bend possible later but not now, they are small and were just starting to get in the market when availability dropped off.

If Big R ELKHART or whatever they will call themselves under new ownership comes back, (presently remodeling?) they used to have supplies

If you have any luck around the area let me know what you find, it will be good to know things are picking up.

RC

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I used to do bulk orders of primers online, too...it was the cheapest way to do it when you could pack 5 or 10 thousand into one hazmat charge. But nobody has them any more, and when they limit you to 1000 the hazmat is just brutal.

Big R in Warsaw used to be my go-to, and usually had a good stock of primers and powder, but the new ownership ran them into the ground, and even though they got bought out again, the gun section hasn't recovered. That hardware store in Plymouth is interesting....I was over there for the first time a few weeks ago and they seem to have pretty good stock of stuff. No primers right now, but I imagine in normal times they would. My buddy went to Bass Pro up towards Chicago a month or so ago and snagged me a box of 1000 LPP for $85...right place right time.

I've also heard of Kempfs, but never been there. I don't have too many reasons to go all the way up to Michigan City. We tend to take most of our trips to the "big city" in the other direction...over towards Ft Wayne. Tomlinson's in Churrubusco is the best for reloading stuff, and they've had primers on occasion, but they're expensive and hit or miss. Sportsman's Warehouse in Fort Wayne has had stuff on occasion, but usually not. Albertson's in Warsaw is a good shop, and they have powder right now but no primers.

I've been scrounging stuff here and there as I see it, and so far its keeping me shooting, although at a price. Hopefully some day they'll get caught up and we can make bulk orders online again.

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I never bought reloading supplies online until the current drought.

I always bought them at a gun show, always from the same Vendor, and always paid $25.00/1,000 $120.00/sleeve (always bought at least 5K at a time).

Powder was always $16~$18/lb with some discount if you bought 8 pound jugs, which I did.

Bullets were also cheaper than online.

Anyway, I've got large stocks of components but due to an unforseen problem with reloading .410 ammo, I had to buy 16 pounds of powder online, first time thing for me.

Hopefully, it'll be back to buying at gun shows in the next year.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
Natchez has CCI SPPs in stock right now for $85:

https://www.natchezss.com/cci-...00-small-pistol.html

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I check Brownell's, MidwayUSA, and Powder Valley periodically for primer availability. Sometimes you get lucky!
When you find something you NEED that's in stock, don't hesitate.
And yes it sucks when they limit you to 1k primers, then the shipping and HazMat really hurts.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1497 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rmfnla:
Natchez has CCI SPPs in stock right now for $85:

https://www.natchezss.com/cci-...00-small-pistol.html

I have never bought primers on line but...
I bought 5000 from Natchezss a couple days ago.
The most I have ever paid for primers.
That will replace the primers I used this past shooting season.

Jsjac

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsjac,

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hammer1967
posted Hide Post
I bought 2k from Brownells yesterday.
More than I’ve ever paid. This “shortage” seems to be lasting longer then past shortages.

What is the prediction on the price for 1k primers when it finally gets back to normal?
I’m afraid it might be 50-60.00 per thousand.

If Jesus would have had a gun he would be alive today. Homer Simpson
“Him plenty dead” Tonto

Posts: 1088 | Location: TN | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmfnla
posted Hide Post
Natchez again:

https://www.natchezss.com/cci-...tm_campaign=55097-NA

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…

Posts: 141 | Registered: August 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hammer1967:
What is the prediction on the price for 1k primers when it finally gets back to normal?
I’m afraid it might be 50-60.00 per thousand.

Agreed, I think $50ish will be the new normal.

Posts: 480 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post