SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Reloading 9mm for 1911/2011 pattern pistols?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading 9mm for 1911/2011 pattern pistols? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
I load 9mm primarily for CZ pistols and depending on bullet, I need to load to 1.10” or so to plunk. I find the Gen5 Glock to be similar. These loads feed and shoot well in all my 9mm pistols. Edit: this with my preferred Blue Bullets 125gr TC.

I’m looking at getting a 1911 or 2011 pistol in 9mm and I’m looking for experiences loading for these. I don’t want to have to load a different round for it vs the CZ.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8336 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I have a 2011 in 40S&W. I load to factory specs/length and factor power/velocity. There’s plenty of room in the mag for longer complete rounds but I don’t need it.

The chamber is very tight and the leads is small. I once loaded some other brand cast bullet and didn’t “plunk” test them. Wound up tying up the gun and I had to bow out of a match because of it.

One of the other shooters is a STI gunsmith and he offered that he could just use a reamer from work to remove the lead buildup in the chamber. I managed to clean it myself. But our discussion is where the tight chamber specs info came from.

Once you find a bullet profile that works, don’t change it! Or at least inspect them before a shoot.

My FIL shoots a STI 2011 Grand master in 38Super. He loads to the reloading book spec for length and still has room in his magazines.

The 2011 uses the same mag body for multiple calibers and it’s the spacer at the rear of the magazine that fills the space, not the round length.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
All the folks I know load .40 out to like 1.185” to feed reliably in their STI’s and other 2011’s. So I’m cautious how the 9mm works.

Thanks!

Posts: 8336 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I am loading jacketed round nose to 1.130. Seems to work in everything.

Posts: 5606 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PHC
posted Hide Post
Same here 1.13 for both round nose and hp. Works just fine, no feeding issues at all in my sig m-18 or in my ar9

Retired PHC USN

Posts: 33 | Registered: December 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Just got an answer from someone I shoot with every week who has been loading for a STI for at least 10 years.

1.043" COAL

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Edit: this with my preferred Blue Bullets 125gr TC.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

posted Hide Post
I'm another who loads 9mm to 1.13 inch and they function perfectly in my Ruger SR1911 in 9mm. I will also note that your 1.10 inch loads will likely function quite well.

BTW, Ruger magazines for the SR1911 do nothing but misfeed in this pistol but the Wilson Combat 9mm 1911 magazines function perfectly. My hunch is the issue with the Ruger magazines is that the feed lips are too short because the primary cause of the jams are double feed events. With 3 45 ACP and 1 9mm SR1911 I can recomend the pistols but Ruger really should stop wasting time and money making their own magazines for these pistols because all of them tend to misfeed. I would advise that whatever brand of 1911 you purchase you go straight to Wilson Combat magazines for shooting. Because while they are a bit expensive they flat out work. Currently I have 14 of the 45 ACP magazines and 12 of the 9mm and have yet to have one single misfeed on any Wilson Combat magazine. BTW, didn't buy them all at once, when I saw them on sale for about 10 dollars off I would pick 2 or 3 if the budget permitted.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5599 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post