SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Redding competition bullet seating die
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding competition bullet seating die Login/Join 
posted
I use the Redding competition die for bullet seating on a Dillon 650. I set it for 1.100, and will get ranges from 1.100 to 1.250.

They all gauge and shoot fine enough. Is that an acceptable margin for range ammo?

EDIT TO ADD: that I am a dumbass. 1.100-1.125 variation.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: eLLegitLegit,

Posts: 21 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: May 20, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
It's not dangerous or anything like that, but that's a huge variation.

Kind of looks like the seater plug is the wrong one for the bullets you're using or the bullets are really cheaply made.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your issue with variance in COAL may a result of the bullet construction and the variance in OAL of the bullet itself.
Did you thoroughly clean your die before use.
I do not think that you will get the precision of a RIFLE cartridge with a straight walled handgun cartridge. Are you using brass cleaned with SS pins? The brass may be too clean? You may want to consider using a stepped powder funnel such as those from Double Alpha.

Posts: 12 | Registered: July 21, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Ive run into this before. The first time was compressed loads, the second time was the seating stem being belled out....likely due to the before mentioned compressed loads.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post