SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    PCC 9mm load advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PCC 9mm load advice Login/Join 
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted
I would like to develop some loads for my 16" barreled, 9mm carbine.
I prefer 147gr bullets. I have jacketed, plated, and coated bullets.
My in stock powder choices are, HS-6,
H110, Unique, Red Dot, Titegroup, WSF,231,
I would like to get all I can from the 16" barrel.

Posts: 3937 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The one I would rule out, is the h-110 powder, most of the others could be somewhat workable. I wouldn’t load to many until you test for proper cycling.

Depending on the intended use, seems more load options available at the 124 or so grain level. One could always use a firmer bullet if max performance is desired.

Some manuals have a dedicated 9mm +p section, at least the free Sierra app doesn’t show +p data above 124 grain bullet weights.

I’ve always had better cycling with mid or faster powders in the 9mm, though never tried HS-6, which has data listed. I would cross reference a few manuals & try some loads. It’s always handy if able to chronograph results.

Posts: 5168 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Of the powders listed, I would use the HS-6 or Titegroup. Rule out the H-110.
You'll only get about 200 fps more from a longer barrel in 9mm. 8"-10" seems to be the optimum length for a 9mm PCC to burn all it's powder & gain max velocity. The 16" won't give you anything more than an 8" will.
Nothing wrong with a 16" 9mm. Lots of gamers use them but the added length doesn't give you anything extra.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 538 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
8"-10" seems to be the optimum length for a 9mm PCC to burn all it's powder & gain max velocity. The 16" won't give you anything more than an 8" will.
Nothing wrong with a 16" 9mm. Lots of gamers use them but the added length doesn't give you anything extra

This has been my experience as well. 8-10" is definitely the sweet spot. You can only cram so much powder into a tiny 9mm case and still be safe.

My load of choice is a 135gr powder coated bullet over HS-6. I see about 200fps gain over a 5" handgun barrel when shooting them out of my carbine. Titegroup is a decent powder choice for handgun loads, but it burns very fast so you won't see as much gain out of the longer barrels.

Posts: 5337 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post