SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Time for a reloading bench
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Time for a reloading bench Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Nicely done!

God bless America.

Posts: 13394 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
Nicely done!

Thanks, after two years of writing, and basically being in the office for 12 hours a day the office needed a thorough cleaning.

Yesterday I got my desk cleaned up. I am hoping to spend a bit of time in the evenings doing some reloading.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I ran 600 rounds of 147 grain 9mm, 250 of 125 grain 9mm, and 150 115grn hap 9mm this weekend. I also was able to size and de prime 870 cases of 357 sig. I have a couple of hundred Nickle cases I need to run to round out 1000 357 sig.

The biggest learning curve was the APP. It makes short work of sizing and d priming. The number 19 shell holder is NOT the one to use for 9mm, as it rips the rim off the cases. I ended up using a couple of diamond files to get the number 2 shell holder to fit. I only removed enough for the 9mm case to fit. 223 and 556 still feed and work fine in the app.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
I noticed something similar (much to my dismay) with the .223 plate for my Loadmaster. I just kind of gave up on it and went back to loading/sizing the 223 on the single stage and doing just 9mm on the LM - that way I can use RCBS shell holders. Lee shell holders are just super shallow and not super pleasant to work with. (As it turns out I don't actually shoot 223 enough for it to matter all that much, anyway, especially right now - I'd rather those primers go to 308 and 6.5CM.)

The Loadmaster isn't the terrible piece of kit I expected given its reputation but it can be annoying and frustrating to deal with if you're not super mechanically inclined (though, if you weren't chances are you probably wouldn't be loading your own ammo, but that's another discussion entirely). As soon as I can afford to do so I'll be replacing it though.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3346 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The app shell holders are a pass through system. So after you have sized a case, the next casy kicks it prvious case into your tray.

In th case of lee' app 19 shell plate, it feeds and pushes 9mm fine, except for those fired in unsuported chambers or that have a slight bulge line norma.

I tested out the number two and 9mm almost fit. 5 minutes with a diamond file with even strokes on both sides fixed it.

Fwiw the number 19 is also the shell plate holder for 40,357 sig and 10mm.

posted Hide Post
a few rounds of 357 sig.
500 rounds of 125 grain pellets of fun.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That is really nicely done! It looks great, and should be solid enough for anything you might throw at it. Your gridwork of screws to secure that butcher block is...impressive! I don't think that's going to move on you Big Grin. I did something pretty similar with sizing my shelving for powder containers, too...it's worked out quite well.

I'm jealous of your office. My loading bench is in my cellar, which is unfinished stone and mortar, half dirt floor (there is a portion on a slab, where my bench sits), and I have to stand in just the right spot to keep from banging my head on the floor joists when I'm loading. In 10-15 years when the kids grow up and move out, one of their bedrooms is becoming my gun room!

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
That is really nicely done! It looks great, and should be solid enough for anything you might throw at it. Your gridwork of screws to secure that butcher block is...impressive! I don't think that's going to move on you Big Grin. I did something pretty similar with sizing my shelving for powder containers, too...it's worked out quite well.

I'm jealous of your office. My loading bench is in my cellar, which is unfinished stone and mortar, half dirt floor (there is a portion on a slab, where my bench sits), and I have to stand in just the right spot to keep from banging my head on the floor joists when I'm loading. In 10-15 years when the kids grow up and move out, one of their bedrooms is becoming my gun room!

My kids moved out this last year. Both are in college. I finally felt like I had the time, and matured enough to focus on reloading. While I had kids, I tried to limit myself to one hobby at a time. I am the type of person who jumps in the deep end and starts swimming. I didn't think it fair to the family to go down such a path with reloading when I was already down that pat with guns, pens, knives. etc.

I have a couple of changes in mind, and a few things I am looking to order from inline fabrication. I will likely pick up an ACP press to go with this APP press. I'll put them on a swappable Inline fabrication mount. I also will ad a few more trays for storage.

Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
quote:
125 grain pellets of fun

Can you share your pellet specs and maybe a source. They look nice. Your bench is a piece of art.

Posts: 492 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they are montana gold 357 sig bullets from everglades
https://www.evergladesammo.com...llets.html?caliber=3

7.5 grains v3n37 and the 125 grain bullets

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a couple of changes in mind, and a few things I am looking to order from inline fabrication. I will likely pick up an ACP press to go with this APP press. I'll put them on a swappable Inline fabrication mount. I also will ad a few more trays for storage.

Check out the inline fabrication light kits while you're at it. I have one for my LNL, and it's awesome...probably the single best reloading accessory I've purchased. Their roller handles are pretty good too.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I spy with my little eye, a shooboy hammer.

Looks great. I agree with the suggestion of inline-fabrication. I have the plate on my bench and all my presses and throw and trimmer on plates…they store on the wall above the bench. One of the best things I’ve bought for reloading.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post