SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    RCBS .44 mag SWC die set
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS .44 mag SWC die set Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
I picked a new RCBS 18606 die set that is designed foe SWC boolits; I reload only JSP rounds for hunting and was seeking a little input from more experienced reloaders.

Will there be any issues using a SWC seating die with flat point JSP’s? I notice that my standard Lee die deforms (rounding) the nose of my Montana Gold boolits. It seems that the SWC die should help preserve the nose shape better. These are not carbide dies, so I don’t want to add a lubing step if changing dies won’t benefit me.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
A flat point is a flat point, so the swc seating stem should be fine. if not, they are changeable with just a new seating stem.

IF YOU AREN'T HANDLOADING, YOU AREN'T SHOOTING ENOUGH!
NRA Instruc: Basic Pistol & Met Reloading

Posts: 7789 | Location: ca, usa | Registered: February 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You are saying you need flat bullet seat.
Ran into this my self.
Spun a new one on the lathe for several sets of dies
Your concave seater can be made flat by filling concave with something like J B weld.You will have to spin the set knob way back our for your depth but it is certainly doable.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
You are saying you need flat bullet seat.
Ran into this my self.
Spun a new one on the lathe for several sets of dies
Your concave seater can be made flat by filling concave with something like J B weld.You will have to spin the set knob way back our for your depth but it is certainly doable.

I’d considered this just so I could stick with the carbide dies, and figured I could get my $25 back out of these new ones. I just wasn’t sure I wanted to alter it permenantly.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Maybe the seater plug for Speer Gold Dot bullets:

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...-point-1-2-20-thread

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Take the SWC seater plug out of the die body and place on of your JSP bullets against it. If the meplat of the JSP bullet is smaller then the face of the SWC stem, then using it should NOT distort your bullets. If the meplat is larger than the SWC seater plug then order a RCBS 44 special cowboy seater die.

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post