SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    That's it! I've had it! Ordered a Labradar!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That's it! I've had it! Ordered a Labradar! Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
I'm tired of fussing with my CED M2. It would work great if it was always sunny and there was no wind. I eventually ordered the infrared sky screens that I never used since its overcast more than it is sunny here. But even so, it's usually raining when I go shoot anyway.

Then there's the clumsy setup and taking the line down so I can go forward of the line to set up my chrony.

Today, after I got all set up, the wind kicked up and turned my sky screens sideways. Had to wait until the next cease fire to straighten them out. After that, we straightened out the sensors and carried on shooting. As I was shooting, the wind kicked up again and the screens began to walk.

Now I couldn't even track my group size because to test velocity, I had to shoot through the screens which were now off-target. I also got a few errors and no-reads.

I caved in and ordered a lab radar tonight. Hopefully this will be one less hassle for me.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good luck... they are a bit tempermental.

1. Seems you have to have them located in the exact spot to pick up the shot.

2. Either invest heavily in a battery company or purchase an external batter pack/cable.

3. Keep clear enough from other shooters to not pick up their shots.

I'm sure there are other issues... but these are the frequent ones that come to mind. That said, it is a good unit when you get used to it. I just happen to like the Magnetospeed as it works, everytime.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I'll get used to it. I usually go to the range mid-week during lunch hour when the range is quieter. I can always go to the high power range which is normally very empty.

The Magnetospeed can be troublesome to mount on an M14. Especially the shorter barreled versions. Great for bolt guns where there's just a barrel and maybe a flash suppressor, but once you're impeded by a gas cylinder and a chassis or stock (like the SOCOM-16), the Magnetospeed is a no-go.

I've already got extra battery packs for mobile devices since my wife likes to do a lot of Disney trips and battery backup packs are a must.

The convenience of the Labradar means I'll most likely use it on nearly every range trip. With the CED, setting it up is a drag. Its time consuming and very fussy. It took me a long time to figure out that I couldn't have the CED display unit on the bench next to me. The muzzle blast kept giving me errors. I finally figured it out one day when I had the unit on the next bench over and it worked every time.

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have looked at them. The complaints about battery usage and fussyness makes me think I would be happier with magnetospeed v3

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Well, if I'm disappointed, I' cut someone a deal on a lightly used one. I'm just tired of dealing with a conventional chronograph that's dependent on lighting, weather, wires and sky screens.

Tony.

Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
Well, if I'm disappointed, I' cut someone a deal on a lightly used one. I'm just tired of dealing with a conventional chronograph that's dependent on lighting, weather, wires and sky screens. Tony.

Exactly. And who complains about battery usage? Most use a cell phone battery backup to power their Labradar. But they are hard to aim (the built in sight is not very good), there's learning curve for learning the menu system and it takes some trial and error for where to place unit and register the shoot.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen the Labradar used for power factoring at IDPA and USPSA matches. It works well.

I have a CED with all its cables and a CE with the risk of shooting the brain. If I chronographed as much as I used to, I would get the Labradar.

Magnetospeed would not be much use to me, too many automatic pistol loads.

Posts: 3278 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Have an Oehler 35, it's worked fine for 15 years.

I'm 1/3 owner of a LabRadar....I hate it. FAR more problematic than the Oehler. It's sweet when it works but it's also easily confused.

I must add...it IS a very early model.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post