SIGforum
Considering a new single stage press

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/840601935/m/7740017584

October 07, 2021, 08:23 PM
OKCGene
Considering a new single stage press
I can't find my old RCBS single stage press, it was in storage and now it's not.

Man have prices gone up, and availability down!

I've looked at fleabay and they are asking a handsome price for presses that are missing parts.

You'll see, for example, Rock Chuckers, and other brands too, with just the bare press, but the primer arms assembly and tubes are missing. Add the cost to buy those and you might as well buy a brand new one.

I went down to our big huge gun shop/shooting range/cafe today. They had exactly ZERO single stage presses in stock.

I ran a Wanted Ad in our statewide gun group website. Not a single reply over 3 days now.

I started looking online and raised an eyebrow, or maybe both eyebrows, at the online prices. Found a Rock Chucker at Midsouth for a pretty darn good price, and it's in stock.

So my question is, if you were in the market today to buy one, what would you get? A RCBS, a Hornady? A Lyman? A Lee? (or just buy what you can find due to the lack of inventory?)
October 08, 2021, 05:25 AM
92fstech
I think I'd take whatever I could find at this point, assuming it's within the budget. My single stage is a Lee Classic Cast, and it's actually a really good press. I wouldn't buy the aluminum version (challenger, or whatever they call it), but the cast iron one is built like a tank and it would take some serious abuse to break it.
October 08, 2021, 07:01 AM
kyoung
I live near Bartlesville, OK , I have a Brand new Lyman T Mag press that my father had squirreled away. I believe it has a primer attachment also I would give it to you if you are interested.
October 08, 2021, 08:35 AM
OKCGene
quote:
Originally posted by kyoung:
I live near Bartlesville, OK , I have a Brand new Lyman T Mag press that my father had squirreled away. I believe it has a primer attachment also I would give it to you if you are interested.

Yes! Thank you. I will email you.
October 08, 2021, 05:27 PM
GT-40DOC
It doesn't get much better than that!!! I still have, and use occasionally, my old Lyman turret press. It has loaded many Ks of good rounds since 1972.
October 08, 2021, 07:29 PM
yucaipa
If that doesn't work out they have some in stock here.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/c...egory/categoryId/600

Harry S. Truman

www.CrossCountryQuilting.com
"Deep in the heart of the Ozarks"

October 11, 2021, 07:34 PM
rmfnla
Midway has the Lee APP for under $80, and if you time it right shipping is free.

Not as robust as the workhorses you mention, but fairly versatile and fully functional as a single-stage.

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…
October 13, 2021, 06:06 PM
1967Goat
Midsouth Shooters Supply has some Redding presses in stock...but quality doesn't come cheap!

Redding Presses
October 13, 2021, 06:15 PM
rmfnla
quote:
Originally posted by yucaipa:
If that doesn't work out they have some in stock here.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/c...egory/categoryId/600

I've ordered from them; good folks!

Today, my jurisdiction ends here…
October 14, 2021, 01:03 AM
Gallo Pazzesco
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I can't find my old RCBS single stage press, it was in storage and now it's not.

Man have prices gone up, and availability down!

I've looked at fleabay and they are asking a handsome price for presses that are missing parts.

You'll see, for example, Rock Chuckers, and other brands too, with just the bare press, but the primer arms assembly and tubes are missing. Add the cost to buy those and you might as well buy a brand new one.

I went down to our big huge gun shop/shooting range/cafe today. They had exactly ZERO single stage presses in stock.

I ran a Wanted Ad in our statewide gun group website. Not a single reply over 3 days now.

I started looking online and raised an eyebrow, or maybe both eyebrows, at the online prices. Found a Rock Chucker at Midsouth for a pretty darn good price, and it's in stock.

So my question is, if you were in the market today to buy one, what would you get? A RCBS, a Hornady? A Lyman? A Lee? (or just buy what you can find due to the lack of inventory?)

Rock Chucker, in a heartbeat. But if you're just loading pistol ammo, straight walled cases, you could get away with a Pardner press.

MEC has a new single stage out that everyone is raving about.

You cannot go wrong with RCBS or Redding presses imho. I've got a Rock Chucker still going strong after 30 years and 1000s and 1000s of cranks.

October 14, 2021, 02:47 PM
gearhounds
I use a Lee Breech Lock hand press for .357, .44, 45-70, and .223; not as easy as a table mounted single stage unit, but the ease of taking it anywhere is well worth the extra effort. You can fit everything you need to reload a few hundred rounds at a time in a medium sized tool/tackle box.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
October 15, 2021, 06:47 PM
OKCGene
Many thanks to kyoung, who replied above, for his kind gift of an awesome Lyman turret press, with accessories. Much appreciated.
October 15, 2021, 06:51 PM
maxwayne
I am so glad this worked out for you. That is why this forum is so good.
October 16, 2021, 05:04 PM
GT-40DOC
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Many thanks to kyoung, who replied above, for his kind gift of an awesome Lyman turret press, with accessories. Much appreciated.

Now get it set up and start turning out some ammo!!
October 17, 2021, 10:01 AM
9mmnut
Great group of people. Hey I lost my truck.

Just kidding