SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    Thoughts on this bench
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on this bench Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I’m about to start amassing reloading gear for the first time and am trying to settle on a bench. I know this one is kinda spendy and I know one could be built for much less. The problem with building one is my fused back. I simply can’t do it, I need ready made. Thanks for the input!

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobal...Work-Bench/999960147

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Whoa--$475
I built mine out of solid wood doors on 4 x 4"s.
31.5" 4 x 4 legs braced underneath.
Solid wood door is screwed into the 4x4's.
Lowes or Home Depot will cut the 4x4's for you.
I have the ability to mount my Rockchucker's anywhere on the bench. Also , a small vise.
You still have to put that Lowe's bench together.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You really want a solid base to mount your reloading press on, especially if you are going with a progressive. I just don't see this providing the support you are going to want/need. For that kind of money, I'd walk and look for something more solid.

I'd go with this offering from Harbor Freight before the Lowe's offering you link. This could be beefed up a bit and modified more easily to provide the stability needed.

https://www.harborfreight.com/...Workbench-63395.html

Posts: 94 | Location: Michiana | Registered: September 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a nice article on the do's and don'ts of a reloading bench.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/...sdont/#ixzz6Jy5BuApQ

For my reloading bench, I used the plans from National Reloading Manufacturers Association for the basic bench and mounted pegboard on the back rather than the sophisticated cabinets of their plan. Built of 4 x 4's, this thing is rock solid.

https://sites.google.com/site/...nrma-reloading-bench

Posts: 94 | Location: Michiana | Registered: September 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Wood workers bench from harbor freight. Can't build it for 120/ 140.
4 drawers. 3 2x6 under legs to raise 5".
I put a shelf on the wall the same height giving me 6" more width.
Can't post pic here but it's awesome.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link above and opinions. It states it can support like 1100 lbs so it sounded sturdy enough. Don’t know how thick the wood top is though

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One more thought: I like to put a sheet of masonite on top of my reloading bench, the same material pegboard is made of but without the holes. This material is inexpensive and fairly durable. When it gets worn or dirty, it is easy enough to change out, keeping your work surface fresh and clean.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of those used on various forums.

However, may I suggest one of these https://www.uline.com/Product/...op-with-Rounded-Edge for a similar price?

The adjustment may be good with your back. Level it up and bolt it to the wall, it will be plenty solid.

Be aware shipping is probably $150, but one of these will be my next bench with the maple top. https://www.uline.com/Product/...op-with-Rounded-Edge

There is a Uline in Dallas so it may be cheaper or you might be able to pick it up, I don't know where you're at exactly.

I would plan for some sort of strong mount like InLine fabrication offers for various presses. I stand to reload and these help stabilize the presses, and like the next poster down mentioned, helps the handle clear the front of the bench.

I'm working on a 24" by 96" bench, 2 feet is just 3/4" plywood overhang that I haven't trimmed off but works well for light stuff. Next one will be 30" deep at least and probably only 72" long. My presses are mounted to the front corners by the leg, I have a Dillon XL650 and RL1100. My current bench is homemade and stout but I still bolted it to the wall.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
dryfly, IMO that bench is totally unsuited for reloading. How would you mount a press? I usually have a bench that has a lip on the top to bolt or clamp a press, powder measure, case trimmer, or whatever. Where would your knees go when sitting on a stool? Think about where the handle would swing on the press.

If you do not have a friend or neighbor to help you, maybe the local high school shop teacher has some good woodworking students needing something to do.

Craigs list often has workbenches for sale.

This from lowes would be better https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gladi...ork-Bench/1000017971

Posts: 1190 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks again guys, I’ll scratch that one.
Riley.. I actually get a ULine catalog for my business. I’ll check that one out.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This is the bench I plan to use: Edsal 34 in. H x 60 in. W x 30 in. D Maple Butcher Block Top Workbench. Or, for a bit more, this one: 34 in. H x 60 in. W x 30 in. D Maple Butcher Block Top Workbench with Shelf

Rigid frame that can be bolted down if necessary. Very solid top.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks ensigmatic, those look good as well

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You really need a solid surface as well as a well anchored (even with weight) to mount the press.
Otherwise those shelves look nice but it would be hard to mount the press.
Additionally to a thick surface the legs need to be very sturdy.
I got a craftsman tool bench when Sears was around and it is very solid.
I would look at some of the Gladiator garage products as well as using a Kreg base and plop a butcher block top or other doubled up 3/4 plywood.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Malicious, I constructed the NRMA bench but also built the cabinet section on the top and made the 4x4 legs and other structural portions out of red oak. With several hundred pounds of bullets, brass and powder stored on the bottom shelf, that thing doesn’t budge no matter how much you pull on a press handle. Maybe overkill, but it’s solid.

Posts: 1169 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
As recommended above...this one looks promising. I’m a bit limited on space in my study. Is this 4’ long X 25” deep table big enough to get the job done? Thanks again

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I think if you have one press/station, it should be large enough. Bigger is better.

I just measured my set up. With the Dillon XL650 on the left side of the bench, it’s mounted 6” or so from the left edge. The InLine base is about 12”x12” and the output bin is another six inches. That leaves me room for the powder jug to sit behind the press, room for a scale and tools on the right along with a small space to case gauge etc.. Photo sent.

What press and what are you planning to load?

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the PM Riley. I’ll be purchasing an XL750 soon. The table would be used solely for reloading, I don’t know how much other gear necessarily *stays* out on the table top for use all the time like the press obviously does.. I think I’ll try to find a way to fit the 72” version of that table

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
The stuff that I want for ease of use, not the mess in the photo I sent:

Calipers
Scale
Load data
Can of compressed air
Box of 1000 primers
Flip tray for primers
Box of bullets, I have an InLine fab tray on the left, keeps the bullets off the bench top.
Jug of in use powder
Box of brass to load
The DAA brass marker sits behind the 650

However, the tumbler is in the garage and I have a table on the other wall that I use for spraying the cases in a cookie sheet with One Shot case lube. This could be done in the garage as well, my basement is unfinished so I’ll spray inside for now.

I then use a small box to sit on my bench to add cases to the feeder as I go.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Crap... 72” (6’) is just too big for this room. I need something that’s 5’, that would be about perfect.

Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I don’t know what all this gear will weigh... how about this guy?

https://www.harborfreight.com/...Workbench-63395.html

I think someone above might have recommended it