SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    What’s a good source for quality once fired pistol brass?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What’s a good source for quality once fired pistol brass? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
I’m trying to find a good source for true once fired commercial headstamp pistol brass in the popular calibers. Good quality. Anyone know of a good source?

Posts: 17869 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The quiet druid
Picture of orion5
posted Hide Post
Nereloading.com

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why once fired? Starline sells new brass. I have purchased 1,000 piece boxes of several revolver calibers. I do not think I will ever wear them out. If I do I will just buy another 1,000. I pick up enough .45 ACP and 9mm at the range.

Posts: 616 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Make friends with the local PD range officer. Some trade theirs back to get a little money knocked off there next ammo purchase.

Or they could be like ours and it goes into the dumpster at the end of our ranges driveway. Then it is public domain and anyone can dig in.

Posts: 4019 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Just went to our range late this evening. Shot about 200 and came home with about 1000. Almost everything on the ground was 9mm too. I got tired of picking it up.

Posts: 17869 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
What Caliber you need?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I load 9 and 40. It’s not that I don’t have any. I have a fair amount but I have not tracked it. Some may have been shot twice while others maybe 4 or 5 times. If it looks ok, I don’t lose it at the range or crush it reloading, I shoot it again.

I was thinking of restocking and maybe trying to track it better.

posted Hide Post
I have been reloading since about 1974. I would not be surprised if I had .45 ACP brass that I have been using that long. If you are an ace competitive pistol shooter, it might make sense to keep your brass sorted and pay attention to how many times it has been fired. I think most of the people that I know don't worry much about it with pistol brass. Maybe sort by brand or headstand. Rifle shooting, I am more particular. If you buy fired brass, you have no guarantee it is once fired. I think if you are worried about it, you should buy new and keep it sorted. But I think most shooters probably can't shoot well enough to tell what I believe will be a very small difference in accuracy.

Posts: 616 | Location: northern VA. | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is interesting is at our local ranges that I frequent up until about 4-5 months ago I could find hundreds of rounds of spent brass of various pistol and rifle calibers on the ground when I would go to shoot....Not now - one would think the ranges are being almost swept with a broom (I may exaggerated a little with that comment) but you get my point.....

No more stepping all over spent brass when one goes shooting around here like it used to be.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigarmsp226,

Posts: 3236 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
My wife had to retake CCW class because her's lapsed last year when she was sick. She picked up brass when others were shooting and came home with a ton. We never shoot at ranges so I don't know if thats the norm or not.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I uses 40 for USPSA, and I lose brass on those days or pick up other peoples brass...but honestly I’ve got some brass that I’ve reloaded 10 times that still hold a primer and it works.

When I first started reloading I did an experiment and never got any split cases in 40/45 but in 357 I encountered split cases after five reloading due to the increased pressures.

My FIL shoots 38SuperComp and he really stresses his brass. He only uses it twice before it gets scrapped. He’s using rifle powder and is trying to meet a power factor.

But since my loads emulate factory loads I don’t have any problems. So I just shoot it and reload it until it splits or the primer pockets are loose.

I should also note that my FIL is an engineer and he over thinks everything. He shakes his head when I tell him how I handle brass....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11233 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I shot 38 Super Comp for years in USPSA open class and probably reloaded some as many as 15X. In my experience the primer pockets loosed before the case splits.

"the only way he could get any dumber, is if he got bigger" Tony Cockerill RIP

Posts: 103 | Location: TUCSON AZ | Registered: February 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
My wife had to retake CCW class because her's lapsed last year when she was sick. She picked up brass when others were shooting and came home with a ton. We never shoot at ranges so I don't know if thats the norm or not.

We shoot at an indoor range at least once a week and the one we shoot at lets you take all the brass you want, whether it's yours or someone else's as long as the shooter has walked off and left it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.capitalcartridge.com/default.asp

has been my goto for inexpensive one-fired 357sig, which is hard to find as pickups on the local ranges.

Posts: 8 | Registered: February 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 85MikeTPI:
https://www.capitalcartridge.com/default.asp

has been my goto for inexpensive one-fired 357sig, which is hard to find as pickups on the local ranges.

They are good to go,last month I got a couple k of 223.
It was mixed,some mil and lots of fed.
does get full working and is just fine with my needs.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You ask for a good source for once fired brass...and I'll offer this...trust only new, unfired brass you have bought or that you have gleaned from factory fresh round you, yourself, have fired. All else is trusting to someone else's word...Not for me...YMMv Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 725 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is useful. But I normally order starline brass. It all showed out of stock unavailable etc. But I just ordered anyway and most if it showed up in less than 2 weeks. Not the 9mm but the .40 and the .45 and the 10mm.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Absolutely Positively-
Retired
Picture of ace73
posted Hide Post
Top Gun in Taylor usually has brass for sale.
I haven’t checked the price.

Posts: 1182 | Location: Detroit/Downriver | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodfac:
You ask for a good source for once fired brass...and I'll offer this...trust only new, unfired brass you have bought or that you have gleaned from factory fresh round you, yourself, have fired. All else is trusting to someone else's word...Not for me...YMMv Rod

I'll disagree with that. I've used range pickup that I picked up and also range pickup that others have picked up all my life and never had a single problem with it.

The total amount is definitely in the tens of thousands of cases trouble free.

Just visually inspect it before reloading and you'll be fine.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
^^^ agreed. What's the point of reloading if you're paying for brass? I'll buy new occasionally, especially of it's for some kind of high-power rifle caliber that I'm going to be pushing the limits on...but then again you're not likely to find a lot of that kind of stuff lying on the ground, anyway.

Pistol brass and .223 I have loaded thousands and thousands of rounds with range pickup brass. It gets inspected and defective stuff gets culled, but it loads and shoots just fine.

Posts: 8377 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post