SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Reloading    New caliber for me, .44 Special
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New caliber for me, .44 Special Login/Join 
Picture of C-Dubs
posted
Bit the bullet, figuratively of course, on a new revolver in .44 Special... damned Davidson's and their weekly gun specials. Already had a GP-100 in .357 Magnum, so this new one will complement it.

Figure it should be pretty easy to load, like most straight wall cartridges are, but as of right now, I have not a single piece of equipment or component (sans some suitable powders, and a couple presses) to start loading for it.

Any preferences for a die set? I generally gravitate towards Hornady or Redding.

And any ideas where to get some starter brass? Or do I just buy a few packages of ammo and go from there?

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C-Dubs:
And any ideas where to get some starter brass?

It depends on what quantity you plan to reload. When I started with 10mm, I bought several brands/boxes of factory ammo and used those cases. When I decided to reload seriously, I just bought a case of 1,000 from Starline, (~$180). It is some of the best brass going, and Starline offers free delivery when you buy directly from them. Don't go to other sources for it (such as Midway). It will be marked up and shipping may or may not be included.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10781 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Yes, Starline always has good brass. I didn't mention it in the OP, but I was hoping to find some once-fired brass to get started.

Any favorite projectile? Was thinking either plated or FMJ, and probably 240gn. Didn't want to give it an all lead diet from the get go. Truncated cone, round-nose or SWC preferably.

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I’ve not loaded revolver cartridges yet, but I do like coated bullets and will use them in the 45 Colt and .357 Magnum.

I would look at http://missouribullet.com/deta...egory=5&secondary=12. When I start to load for the 45 Colt it will be this similar coated bullet in .45 caliber.
They have a good reputation and a nice crimp groove.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8342 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been loading 44 Special for a long time now.....I really like the caliber, and you can load it mild to wild!!! I have purchased a fair amount of my 44 Spec. brass from Starline, but also have some range brass. I started out loading lead bullets, and stayed with them for years. In the last 2-3 years i have switched over to Xtreme plated bullets, and am quite pleased with them. I own Dillon and RCBS dies, and have no complaints with either.

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
... In the last 2-3 years i have switched over to Xtreme plated bullets, and am quite pleased with them...

Theirs was one of the first sites I checked. One of the comments said he couldn't do better than a 3 foot spread at something like 50'.
But his was the only negative comment I read. Seemed everyone else liked them, so I figured it was more likely the fault of the guy pulling the press handle in that case.

I found a couple sites that list .44 Special once-fired brass, but both showed as out of stock. So I'll probably just order some from Starline.

I shoot lots of .38 Special, since I have 5 revolvers capable of doing it. As this will be my only firearm in .44 Special, I don't foresee myself shooting more than 1k per year at the most, probably closer to 500 per year.

Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
...I would look at http://missouribullet.com/deta...egory=5&secondary=12. When I start to load for the 45 Colt it will be this similar coated bullet in .45 caliber.
They have a good reputation and a nice crimp groove.

I got a small shipment from them a couple years ago when I was testing a bunch of different projectiles for .45Colt, some hard cast lead, and they smoked up a storm. I went to plated after that. Haven’t tried coated bullets outside of some Acme bullets for .38 Special.

Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Order brass directly from Starline.

Lyman or RCBS 3 die set use the crimp/seat die as a seating die only. Unless using a RN bullet, use the flat seater plug. Buy a Redding profile crimp die and crimp with that exclusively.

200gr.- 210gr. Cast or coated bullets. Missouri or SNS cast bullets or the purple coated bullets from Kings Shooters Supply. Seat them on top of 5.5 gr. Red Dot. Red Dot. Red Dot.

Posts: 3141 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I've been very pleased with the Hi-Tek coated bullets in .358 130 gr. for .38/.357 and .452 200 gr. RNFP for .45 Colt...good quality bulletsat a reasonable price with fair priced quick shipping from Summers Enterprises LLC and Donnie is a good guy with whom to do business...

https://summersenterprisesllc....-category/hi-tek-44/

Starline brass is GTG and in the lower pressure cowboy action loads they will almost last forever...which are always accurate enjoyable loads to shoot in any caliber loaded as such

https://www.starlinebrass.com/...es/44-Special-Brass/

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Just placed my orders...
Picked up a Hornady die set and shellholder, Redding profile crimp die, Starline Brass, and 500 count of Zero 240gn JSP.

Pretty sure that covers it. Already had the powders and primers available.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: C-Dubs,

posted Hide Post
Looks like "you be good to go"!! NOW, get in that reloading room and turn out some ammo!!!!

Posts: 6612 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post

Dummy me... dies arrived yesterday, so I go downstairs to mount them in some Hornady LnL bushings... except I only had 1 left.

Amazon carries them, so a 10-pack is arriving tomorrow.